RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 12-04-2008

Quote:last movie i saw: The lost World (from 1925).
My last movie was a bit less old, but may be considered an antiquity too: Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. It is a registration of that concert in Hammersmith, with the famous farewell address; and the movie proves that it must indeed have been a splendid concert. The band is superb (Mick Ronson's solo in Moonage Daydream!) and Bowie is - well, he was at the height of his powers as a performer. As a songwriter, he was to write better stuff (the Berlin trilogy) but as an actor, he has never again reached the level of the Ziggy performances.

Here are some movie clips; and here is the grand finale (the farewell addres + Rock 'n' Roll Suicide).

Note at 3:45 how Bowie signals his band that they have to break off. A lesser performer would have continued that hymn-like singing, adding emotional intensity to the show, but Bowie remains in charge of what is going in - it had been wonderful, let's stop before it gets boring. This is why he was perfect; and perhaps this is why he will never be as loved as, say, George Harrison or Freddy Mercury. They were people who made mistakes; Bowie's perfection makes him, in the final analysis, superhuman, too brilliant, almost frightening. (Off-off-topic: that's why I do not like the plays of Sophocles - too perfect.)

The DVD with the music was less then 20 euro.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 12-05-2008

Jona,

Speaking of Bowie as an actor...

Did you eve see the film "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" ? If you have not you might find it of interest.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085933/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JTroFov ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwkuS9FlB7M

The part was originally intended for Robert Redford but he declined saying his audience would never accept him in such a role (meaning he found it less than heroic particularly with the homosexual innuendo real or imagined).

The film also features the Japanese comic Beat Takeshi, who is better know here in the West for his Yakuza films but in Japan for his comedy routines, and the musician Ryuichi Sakamoto who won an Academy Award for his music work on The Last Emperor.

It is a very interesting film -- not perfect perhaps, certainly not Kurosawa, but fascinating all the same.

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 12-05-2008

Quote:Speaking of Bowie as an actor...
Did you eve see the film "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" ?
Yes, he's great; his Pontius Pilate in the Last Temptation of Christ (in which he essentially repeats Dostoyevski's Grand Inquisitor) is also fine - in fact, a reason to see Scorcese's movie again.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 12-05-2008

Quote:Yes, he's great; his Pontius Pilate in the Last Temptation of Christ (in which he essentially repeats Dostoyevski's Grand Inquisitor) is also fine - in fact, a reason to see Scorcese's movie again.

Indeed so. They have been playing it on cable of late, time for another viewing I think.

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Steakslim - 12-05-2008

I saw the last legion... 'nuff said, I can't believe I wanted to see it :evil:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Libitina - 12-08-2008

Memoirs Of A Geisha
Some Like It Hot

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 12-08-2008

Quote:Memoirs Of A Geisha
Some Like It Hot

One is a classic and the other a travesty.

:? x wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Ceannt - 12-08-2008

Hello all Big Grin

Last flim i saw was The wind that shakes the Barley durning the weekend

Re: The last film you watched.... - Steakslim - 12-08-2008

Prince Caspian

Re: The last film you watched.... - Libitina - 12-09-2008

Quote:
Libitina:3qa1muqd Wrote:Memoirs Of A Geisha
Some Like It Hot

One is a classic and the other a travesty.

:? x wink:

Narukami

I havent read Memoirs but heard they butchered it (as usual) to make the film? I found the ending a little slushy.

My 6 year old really liked Some Like It Hot and loved Marilyn Big Grin lol:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 12-09-2008

Quote:She also liked Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast At Tiffanys so she must have a soul from another era :lol:
They call it Excellent Taste.

Who wouldn't like Audrey Hepburn? Roman Holiday is one of the best comedies that was ever made. Your daughter will love it, and her parents will appreciate the bittersweet ending.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Libitina - 12-09-2008

Quote:
Libitina:3f3adcbu Wrote:She also liked Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast At Tiffanys so she must have a soul from another era :lol:

Who wouldn't like Audrey Hepburn? Roman Holiday is one of the best comedies that was ever made. Your daughter will love it, and her parents will appreciate the bittersweet ending.

I'll add it to our "to watch" list Big Grin

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 12-09-2008

Quote:
Libitina:1wd2cm4d Wrote:She also liked Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast At Tiffanys so she must have a soul from another era :lol:

Absolutely Right! Big Grin

Billy Wilder was a great film maker and your daughter responded to his art. You might consider other films by Wilder -- some are no doubt above her age group but you will like them and she will grow into them as well.

As for Geisha...

The problems with that film are legion -- suffice it to say that you would do better watching any number of films by Kurosawa, Ozu, Inagaki, Honda, etc. If you have never seen it you might try the film Tampopo, though I must warn you, locate a good Japanese noodle restaurant before you start watching -- you will want a bowl of ramen when the film ends. Smile

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092048/

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Medusa Gladiatrix - 12-09-2008

Had been to the movies yesterday and watched with two friends "Madagascar 2". It's a nice animated and entertaining movie. And you don't need to know the story of the first film to understand this one.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Memmia - 12-09-2008

Quote:
Jeroen Pelgrom:1b42mj3o Wrote:last movie i saw: The lost World (from 1925).
My last movie was a bit less old, but may be considered an antiquity too: Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. It is a registration of that concert in Hammersmith, with the famous farewell address; and the movie proves that it must indeed have been a splendid concert. The band is superb (Mick Ronson's solo in Moonage Daydream!) and Bowie is - well, he was at the height of his powers as a performer. As a songwriter, he was to write better stuff (the Berlin trilogy) but as an actor, he has never again reached the level of the Ziggy performances.

Here are some movie clips; and here is the grand finale (the farewell addres + Rock 'n' Roll Suicide).

Note at 3:45 how Bowie signals his band that they have to break off. A lesser performer would have continued that hymn-like singing, adding emotional intensity to the show, but Bowie remains in charge of what is going in - it had been wonderful, let's stop before it gets boring. This is why he was perfect; and perhaps this is why he will never be as loved as, say, George Harrison or Freddy Mercury. They were people who made mistakes; Bowie's perfection makes him, in the final analysis, superhuman, too brilliant, almost frightening. (Off-off-topic: that's why I do not like the plays of Sophocles - too perfect.)

The DVD with the music was less then 20 euro.

Funnily enough, I was watching live 'Moonage Daydream' just the other day on Youtube, absolutely fantastic.
RIP, Ronno Sad