RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - Virilis - 12-11-2008

Quote:Virilis, I guess you never noticed that there were girls on Baywatch, wearing tight swimsuits? OK, just so you'll know, there were. Heh. :wink:

What!? It isn`t just about David Hasselhoff Confusedhock: !?

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 12-11-2008

ROFL! :lol:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 12-11-2008

Vicky Cristina Barcelona, the latest Woody Allen. A good story about love and honesty and city life, full of good-natured people who create a lot of troubles - which, for us, are quite amusing. Penelope Cruz turns out to be a great comic talent; Rebecca Hall is a name we will hear more about. The weak ending (litteraly, a shoot-out) is inevitable, because the more logical end you are expecting, would make the movie less light-hearted. And as always, Woody Allen has some mild wisdom when he shows what human beings are really like. If he had not chosen to be a movie director, he could have been a rabbi.

But when I left the cinema, there was the perennial Woody Allen problem: it was nice, it was good for a smile, and it was wise - and yet, the story would have been impossible if the people had belonged to the working class.

Re: The last film you watched.... - jvrjenivs - 12-11-2008

Currently watching the The Brothers Grimm (2005) for the second time.

Nice story, wonderfull & lovely scenery and all those caracters out of the real nice tales of the Brothers Grimm. I realy love to watch it purely for the views alone.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Virilis - 12-11-2008

Quote:But when I left the cinema, there was the perennial Woody Allen problem: it was nice, it was good for a smile, and it wise - and yet, the story would have been impossible if the people had belonged to the working class.

Yes, I know the feeling, like some hairy lumberjack pondering about "Madeleine cookies" :wink: ....

Re: The last film you watched.... - Libitina - 12-12-2008

Quote:
M. Demetrius:3uphistb Wrote:Virilis, I guess you never noticed that there were girls on Baywatch, wearing tight swimsuits? OK, just so you'll know, there were. Heh. :wink:

What!? It isn`t just about David Hasselhoff Confusedhock: !?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 12-12-2008

Last night watched Milk -- a well done film. Sean Penn may come off as a jerk in real life, but this performance just further cements his reputation as a great actor. So too Josh Brolin who is having a great year (both this and last) with several excellent performances.

As for Woody Allen...I find the film Crimes and Misdemeanors to be his most fully realized and evenly balanced film, full of the drama and the farce, the tragedy and the comedy that are part of life.

As the Space Aliens said to Allen in his film Stardust Memories' "You want to do mankind a great service - tell funnier jokes." So true

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Libitina - 12-14-2008

Elf! That film is so cute Big Grin

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 12-15-2008

As fast as Ferrell can throw those snowballs, imagine what he could do with a rack of pila!

Re: The last film you watched.... - ioannes sebald - 12-15-2008

Talking of Elf!,i was persuaded into watching something,and i mean SOMETHING,called Elf Bowling last night,was it realy as bad as i remember or should i check it to make sure :? .

Day The Earth Stood Still - Narukami - 12-26-2008

Saw today at the I-Max: The Day The Earth Stood Still

I-Max is a lot of fun and the film looked great (good DLP projectors) but as a story, as a re-make of a classic... well, a bit disappointing.

They have updated the story using the environment as the trigger and that works as a story device. As might be expected the effects are well done, but the acting is only OK. The character of the child is not well written or performed, though this is probably not the fault of the actor but has more to do with the director and with how the character was conceived. Overall the story seems rushed to the point that the ending seems to be there only because they ran out of time.

The original may feel dated but it is still a very enjoyable film. This re-make does not improve on the original but does serve to remind us of what a classic that first film really is.

Narukami

Re: Day The Earth Stood Still - Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-26-2008

Quote:Saw today at the I-Max: The Day The Earth Stood Still

I-Max is a lot of fun and the film looked great (good DLP projectors) but as a story, as a re-make of a classic... well, a bit disappointing.

They have updated the story using the environment as the trigger and that works as a story device. As might be expected the effects are well done, but the acting is only OK. The character of the child is not well written or performed, though this is probably not the fault of the actor but has more to do with the director and with how the character was conceived. Overall the story seems rushed to the point that the ending seems to be there only because they ran out of time.

The original may feel dated but it is still a very enjoyable film. This re-make does not improve on the original but does serve to remind us of what a classic that first film really is.

Narukami

In otherwords, it really is a remake of the original. If I recall, the acting wasn't really acadmey award performance stuff back then either! Tongue

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 12-26-2008

True enough Gaius and good point.

The idea that an "Alien" civilization would take us to task for our stewardship of the planet is certainly not a new one, but rather than update or remake this film why not try a new take on the story?

I do not think this particular film was in need of a re-make, just as I question the reasons for re-doing Clash of the Titans. Are there really no other Greek myths worthy of a film?

Despite all this, I still had a fun time at the theatre and do not regret the expenditure of time and money. However, I do hope to see something better this weekend. Not sure what exactly, but I will try ... several times if I'm lucky. :?

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - jvrjenivs - 12-26-2008

Yesterday I watched one of my personal favourites again.
'Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain' (2001, also simply called 'Amélie' or 'Amelie From Montmartre'). Every time I enjoy the coming together of all those stupid facts, which all happened.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 12-27-2008

Body of lies, which I enjoyed very much (if that is the thing to say about a movie about terrorism). DiCaprio and Crowe play their roles well and although the "Jordanese" people are too easily recognizable as Moroccans, the setting is plausible. Is it realistic? I hope not, but I am not confident about that.