RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dutchhoplite - 10-12-2009

From the last weeks: Train, Up, District 9, Inglorious Basterds, Trick or treat, The Condemned, Mammoth, End of the Line, Millenium, The Chaser, Angels & Demons and A Perfect Getaway.

I watch too much movies :mrgreen:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Magnus - 10-12-2009

Quote:He made even stranger movies in the 80's... :roll:

Inglorious basterds

Too many plot absent where it should have been. No Basterds backgrounds or flashbacks (and that it's a shame). Used to Spaguetti westerns (and this is one), any bad excuse it's a good one to know why the good goy wants to kill the bad guy. The rest, it's just fun. Perhaps some scenes too long (the bar and the cinema) and others too short (what have been doing the Basterds between the 41 and 44?)

And Col. Landa (Christoph Waltz) eats all the basterds with mayonnaise.

PS: At least keeping some parts in German and French (among others...) it's a good move. The fake accent the rest of the time it's not.

I thought it was Tarantino's best movie so far. The dialogue in it was outstanding.

I recently saw Zombieland, with Woody Harrelson. Fantastic movie, I'd recomend it to anyone.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Iagoba - 10-12-2009

Moon

The history of a man next to end his contract of three years harvesting Helium-3 on the dark side of the moon. Alone. With no direct communication with the Earth. And he starts to see strange things...

A nice, elegant and fresh example of near future Sci-Fi. Liked a lot. Even if the 98% of the time the main character is with nobody else (if we don't count the robot) it was risky, but it suceeds. And the music is great.

PS: Winner of "Best Motion Picture", "Best Actor" (Sam Rockwell), "Best Script"(Nathan Parker, based on the original story of Duncan Jones) and "Best Production Design" (Tony Noble for Moon) at Sitges Fantastic Cinema Festival.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jeroen Pelgrom - 10-19-2009

Mighty Joe Young - the 1949 version.

Really nice movie. Good special effects and the movie itself has a good flow.

If you liked King Kong, you'll like this one also.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Magnus - 10-19-2009

"Drag me to hell"...same director (Sam Rami) who did Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness. If you enjoy tongue-in-cheek horror films, this was fantastic!

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dutchhoplite - 10-20-2009

Indeed, a great return to his old genre.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Medusa Gladiatrix - 10-22-2009

Last Tuesday I went to the movies to watch together with a friend "It might get loud" - a rockumentary featuring the three guitarists Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, The Edge of U2 and Jack White of White Stripes. For all into electric guitars and rock music it is very interesting. Here some information on this film:

http://www.sonyclassics.com/itmightgetloud/main.html

Re: The last film you watched.... - Robert Vermaat - 10-23-2009

I just watched the classic F1 movie, 'Grand Prix'. Although the story is a bit 'Michel Vaillant', I just love the shots from the car cockpit of all those classic circuits - Monaco, Zandvoort, Spa, Monza. Now totally altered and spoilt by chicanes and guard rails (yes, I know, far less drivers are being killed each year as well) they were often just plain road circuits back in the 60s.
Plus those drives from way back who get to show their faces and sometimes say a word or two as extras. 8)

Two days ago we went to see 'UP' with the kids. I must say we were pleasantly surprised.
Btw, it was my first ever 3D movie... :wink:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Robert Vermaat - 10-23-2009

Quote:District 9
Did you like it?

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 10-24-2009

King Kong, the 2005 remake. It was entertaining, but nothing more; but my lack of enthusiasm may be due to the fact that I saw it on the little TV in an airplane.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 10-25-2009

I had to watch Alexander again. For the second time, I was invited to speak some 30 minutes before and to answer questions after the movie. I have to do it again next month.

I hate the silly language - real soldiers do not address each other as "noble Craterus", but shout obscenities. There is a lot of violence in this movie and there are two rape scenes, but no one even dares to say "fuck".

I hate the stupid music. If only the music had been absent from the battle scenes. Vangelis' sound track ranks high in any top five musical crimes perpetuated in the last decade.

I hate Oliver Stone.
I hate Robin Lane Fox.
I hate the movie.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Iagoba - 10-25-2009

This one it's about the next film I'm NOT going to watch:Agora (trailer in English).

The history may be good, but my "credibility suspension" only works for me if there is some comedy around ("A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum" or "Blackadder"). I watched the two seasons of "Rome" with a half smile, thinking "what's going to be the next thing?" and Pullo still saved the show, but this time...Sorry, Alejandro, you have made another Peplum, and don't pretend to sell us this as serious and documented historical-philosophical thing. :| ? ( Being a timeless history, every other setting except that could have been OK for me. Sci-Fi does that a lot.

And of course, I won't see it because you didn't call my group to be three months filming in Malta :evil: :lol:

PS: Most of the stuff probably it's from Cornejo, providers of movie atrezzo for decades in Spain. I know for sure clothes from Dune are there, and from nearly all the movies filmed in Spain, so the "hunt of the costume" it's open.

[/grumpy] :wink:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 10-26-2009

Quote:This one it's about the next film I'm NOT going to watch:Agora (trailer in English).
Yes, Synesius as "a firm believer in Christianity" is as ridiculous as Socrates the sophist, Arminius the legionary, Xerxes the Spartan, or Julian the Christian.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Robert Vermaat - 10-28-2009

Quote:Vangelis' sound track ranks high in any top five musical crimes perpetuated in the last decade.
Grumpy old man. Big Grin evil: In Alexander it was much, much better.

So the history sucked. Bad, but not deadly. Like I said, the usual 'historical ancient movie' is far worse. For me, the glas is half full.

Just this soundtrack or do you hate Vangelis' music altogether? I don't. :wink:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Virilis - 10-28-2009

Quote:I hate Oliver Stone.
I hate Robin Lane Fox.
I hate the movie.

I would like to stone Oliver too :wink: ...