RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - ParthianBow - 03-17-2010

Quote:If you like "All Quiet on the Western Front" from 1930 then you should watch Westfront 1918 (from1930). This is the German answer to that movie. The story is similar but the result much bleaker. Personally i found the the final scene were the commanding officer goes crazy more compelling then the final scene of quiet on the western front. Als, the battle scene's are IMHO better and they use tanks in this one.

You might also like Duouamont: the hel from Verdun (German movie from 1931) and Verdun Vision L' Histoire (french movie from 1928). Another interesting one is the 1916 British propaganda movie "The battle of the Somme" by Geoffrey Malins and John McDowell.

Thanks for those, Jeroen, and my apologies for not replying sooner. I will put all of those on my To Be Watched list!

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 03-22-2010

Gladiator. I still cannot like it. Good acting but an implausible story and too many unnecessary historical inaccuracies. I am afraid the only thing that attracts people to this movie is the very thing that attracted people to the amphitheater back then: violence. I'm not a fan of that.

Re: The last film you watched.... - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 03-31-2010

Not a film as such, but i have just seen the first three episodes of the new HBO series The Pacific.

Brilliant, honest, true, and correct. A true hommage on a forgotten part of the war.

M.VIB.M.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Ron Andrea - 03-31-2010

How to Train Dragons. :lol:

Vikings with Scottish accents! :oops:

At least the dragons didn't talk at all. :wink:

The 3-D was pretty good. Confusedhock: Actually, the whole movie was fun. 8)

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 04-01-2010

On TCM last night (the last night of their Kurosawa Salute): Kagemusha and Ran

What great films these are from a master working at the height of his art. For those who may not have seen these films, you owe to yourself, as a fan of the cinema, of Samurai films, and of stories well told, to take the time to watch these films.

The version of Kagemusha they broadcast last night had additional scenes that were not in the original theatrical release or on the Laser Disc.

Kurosawa was skillful in his use of light & shadow and bold when it came to colors. Simply magnificent.

Criterion has an excellent release of Kagemusha on Blu Ray and regular DVD.

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Justin of the New Yorkii - 04-01-2010

Quote:Gladiator. I still cannot like it. Good acting but an implausible story and too many unnecessary historical inaccuracies. I am afraid the only thing that attracts people to this movie is the very thing that attracted people to the amphitheater back then: violence. I'm not a fan of that.

I thought Russell Crowe was going to raise an army and march on Rome! The ending was very far-fetched and disappointing.

Quote:Not a film as such, but i have just seen the first three episodes of the new HBO series The Pacific.

Brilliant, honest, true, and correct. A true hommage on a forgotten part of the war.

M.VIB.M.

You should check out The World at War. They have really good interviews with people like John Colville, Averell Harriman, Albert Speer et al. It's the type of documentary that belongs in a time capsule.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-02-2010

Quote:Gladiator. I still cannot like it. Good acting but an implausible story and too many unnecessary historical inaccuracies. I am afraid the only thing that attracts people to this movie is the very thing that attracted people to the amphitheater back then: violence. I'm not a fan of that.
The only way to have enjoyed it was when it first came out in the cinema.
The opening scenes where pretty spectacular, and the entrance into Rome, and other scenes really could only be appreciated in the cinematic setting, not on a DVD screen.
But you would need to be one of those who are attracted to the violence as well, regardless. Guilty I'm afraid.
I find it more honest than modern warfare where young men are sent out and the enemy hides in the distance, with the leaders who start the war hiding even further away then the enemy, with no personal accounting.
I was facinated by the idea that the Romans used incendiary missile weapons..... :o

Re: The last film you watched.... - Nearco - 04-05-2010

Last film I saw was "moon" by Duncan Jones. I am still impressed, it has only one actor (Sam Rockwell), an astronaut that is working alone in a lunar base for three years. Great Sci-fi movie, really emotive, with some winks to classics like blade runner or 2001 a space odyssey. I don't want to speak too much about the movie, I don't want to write any spoiler, but if you like sci-fi (real sci-fi, not like avatar or transformers) you must see it. Also if you liked Serenade from the stars by Steve Miller Band it's your movie! Almost same line than the song :lol:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 04-06-2010

Yes, Moon was an excellent film, proving once again that a good story, backed up by good acting and basic (but well done) special effects can still be effective. This film had a very modest budget and did the special effects the old fashioned way, with models and matt painting, and it works very well indeed. Even though it has grossed less than $10 million at the box office it was one of the better films of 2009.

It is worth the effort to seek out on video.

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 04-27-2010

I beg to differ.... because you have not seen this one yet.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFhSogGnu4I

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

M.VIB.M.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 04-27-2010

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

If this film does not receive at least an Academy Nomination for Best Film, then there is no justice in the universe.

Mega Fish attacking a battleship -- how can you go wrong.

The only thing that would make this a better film would be Zombie Mega Fish.

Hmmmm ... Do I smell sequel, or is that just rotting fish...?

:oops: :roll: :| wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-28-2010

Saw Hurt Locker recently. A very honest film, quite brutally so.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Lucius Duccius Rufinus - 04-29-2010

Mega Fish looks FANTASTIC!! almost as good as Mega Shark Vs Giant Squid!

Saw Centurion last night... i went in with low expectations, sometimes i find helps that make a film GOOD! but in this case i'm afraid it didnt get that good, not really much redeeming factors! couple of brutal fight scenes, but the story is a bit... um lacking! ahh well we can only but hope eagle of the ninth is a bit better!

Moon - ParthianBow - 04-29-2010

Quote:Last film I saw was "moon" by Duncan Jones.

And did you know that he's David Bowie's son? Raised all the money for the film without any help from dad, too. Glad to hear it's so good - it's been on my list to watch for a while.

Re: Moon - Lucius Duccius Rufinus - 04-29-2010

Quote:
Nearco:2ozywjk8 Wrote:Last film I saw was "moon" by Duncan Jones.

And did you know that he's David Bowie's son? Raised all the money for the film without any help from dad, too. Glad to hear it's so good - it's been on my list to watch for a while.

Cool i didnt know that! its a very good film!, bit 'weird' i dunno if thats the right word, but gets a good point accross! Smile