RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - Astiryu1 - 06-19-2010

I saw Robin Hood as well. The comedy surprised me! The action was decent and the "None Shall Pass" reference was most appreciated. Up until the "Inverse D-Day Theory" it was overall period. The last fight was appealing and appalling at the same time. I give it a 4 out of 5.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Gaius Decius Aquilius - 06-19-2010

The Warlord 1966 with C. Heston. I found a VCR copy. DVDs are available but over a hunderd bucks, which I think is still worth it. There are only a few minor problems with the armor and the atmosphere cannot be beat. One of the best films of it's kind and it proves Hollywood can get things right if they ever want to. I saw this film when it came out and was so impressed with the charater Draco that he became my hero to emulate for years to come, and still is.

Ralph

Re: The last film you watched.... - john m roberts - 06-19-2010

Three or four years ago I found a DVD of "The Warlord" on Amazon. It's from Brazil and you can just switch off the Portuguese subtitles to have the original product. The colors are a bit faded but otherwise it's excellent quality. This is the only movie I ever saw that got the social implications of the armor right. Heston, as the warlord of the title, has the latest, up-to-date hauberk with long sleeves and almost ankle-length hem. His brother, the lesser knight, has a Hastings-style hauberk, knee-length with wide, elbow-length sleeves. Richard Boone, as the armiger, has a sleeveless mail vest. All the other warriors wear leather or quilted coats studded here and there with bits of metal. Of course, the mail is fake but the real stuff wasn't available more than 40 years ago and it's pretty good fake mail.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Nearco - 06-19-2010

I have seen Dorian Gray's portrait (2009). I liked the movie but I spected something more, don't know...I also saw the wolfman, it is unbelievable how a group of wonderful actors can do a movie like this, it is horrible! I also saw the road. Viggo Mortensen and the kid are wonderful playing their roles, it really looks like they are son & father.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 06-25-2010

Attended the West Premiere of the new documentary, The People Vs. George Lucas as part of the LA Film Festival. (It has already played at several film festivals in Europe).

It is a very good film, funny and droll in equal measure and surprisingly insightful. The film covers all the major points -- Luke's paternity, whiny Anakin, Han shooting first, Greedo's poor marksmanship, the abundance of gack (toys, pillow cases, lunch boxes, etc.) the refusal of Lucas to release onto DVD the original theatrical release in favor of his "Special Editions," the hype for Episode 1 Phantom Menace along with the resulting disappointment, and of course -- the JarJar Binks controversy. They even touch upon the Indy 4 film.

Culled from over 600 hours of material into a manageable 92 minutes, the film is composed of interviews, news clips and, most interesting, fan films, some of which are truly inspired.

For me though, the icing on the cake was seeing a brief shot of my grandson playing with his Star War action figures along with seeing his name in the credits. It is only a few seconds, but it made the screening all the more exciting for us.

If you are a fan, or hate Jar Jar, or feel Lucas has meddled with your childhood by "enhancing" his films, you might want to seek this documentary out. At the screening the director announced that they had at last secured a distributor so it should make it into theatres at some point and of course it will have a life on DVD.

Highly Recommended.

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Astiryu1 - 06-25-2010

Can I jump on your soapbox for a moment?
Jar Jar was the worst and Darth Maul was the Best features of that movie a very close second to best was Qui Gon Jinn as the most awesome good guy in that movie. As a martial artist and music lover the last fight scene was burned forever into my memory. As for the rest Obi Wan was okay and Amidala was decent as well; the rest was awful. Now that I have stated my view I will be watching this movie as soon as I can. Thanks!

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 06-26-2010

Ah yes, the Duel Of The Fates...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaiEHNv2g6w

Jar Jar is persona non grata around here except with my grandson, and me. There is much about Episode 1 that does work (Maul and Qui Gon) and much that does not work, starting with the character of Anakin being conceived of as that young. Had he been say 13 or 14, with puberty as the point beyond which the Jedi will not accept new students, the character's arc would have made more sense and the casting possibilities would have been much wider.

Then too, I still think Lucas closed off some interesting plot lines by making Darth Vader the father of Luke and Liea. No doubt Lucas thought he was being sophisticated in a Shakespeare / Hamlet sort of way, but Lucas missed the point. To not kill one's own father is easy (even Himmler's daughter loved her father) but to not kill the man who murdered your father, tortured your friends and killed millions, when you have every right to do so, because it is not the Jedi Way -- and by this very example turn Vader away from the Dark Side -- how much stronger the character of Luke would have been.

However... :oops:

It is Lucas' story to tell.

And it is so easy to get caught up in it. :| Which is exactly what The People Vs. George Lucas is all about.

Now I will climb down from the box and stop waxing over long. :roll:

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jeroen Pelgrom - 07-05-2010

2 movies for me:

Santa Claus conquers the Martians (1964) - its a classic :wink:
Saladin and the crusaders (El Naser Salah el Dine, from 1963) - an Egyptian movie. Rather good movie with a different point-of-view of the crusades.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dain II. - 07-05-2010

Right now I watched again Ogniem I Mieczem made by Jezry Hoffman. It's about the Saporogian Sietsch under Bohdan Chmelnyzkyj an it's rebell against the polish-lithunian Empire around 1646 AD. Very good movie.

At this youtubevideo you can find some scenes of the battles in the movie mixed up with a new interpretation of a traditional cossackian song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKLkUyVJS2I

lg Stephan

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 07-05-2010

Quote:Santa Claus conquers the Martians (1964)
Smile ) ) ) Tell us more!

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jeroen Pelgrom - 07-06-2010

Quote: Tell us more!

wiki: [url:3lgvw9oe]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus_Conquers_the_Martians[/url]

youtube: [url:3lgvw9oe]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkEumP828D4[/url]

Basicly the plot is as follows: the martians kidnap Santa Claus and 2 earth children (don't ask why). With the help of these 2 children, Santa tries to escape his kidnappers by bringing fun, happiness and Christmas cheer to the children of Mars. :roll:

The movie is really 1 of the worst movies ever. Its on the same level as "The Giant Claw" (Earth is under attack by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD!) and such.

in short - a movie to my liking!

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jeroen Pelgrom - 07-06-2010

King Kong vs Godzilla! (1962)

A nice TOHO-movie. Plot is non-existing but both monsters are cool to watch. Good movie!

trailer: [url:20m3iw2c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe7r_BTECz4[/url]

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 07-06-2010

Plan 9 From Outer Space. Lobster Men From Mars.
Watch either of these, and then tell me about the worst SF movies ever.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 07-06-2010

Quote:The movie is really 1 of the worst movies ever. Its on the same level as "The Giant Claw" (Earth is under attack by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD!) and such.

in short - a movie to my liking!
I already got the impression you've a singularly well-developed bad taste. :wink:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Justin of the New Yorkii - 07-07-2010

Quote:The movie is really 1 of the worst movies ever.

John Wayne as Genghis Khan in The Conqueror is my nominee.