RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dithrambus - 09-19-2010

Quote:
Narukami:201h2cz5 Wrote:I wish I could say I had seen something at the cinema, but of late, noting has intrigued me enough to entice or compel me to the theatre. Cry

:|
Narukami

I agree. The last fun movie we've seen was UP. :wink:

My last visit was the 'Clash of the Titans' remake :roll: , no surprise that I am not in a hurry to return to the theatre. Renting DVDs is much less expensive (actually buying DVDs is less expensive!) and the popcorn from our kitchen tastes much better.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Paullus Scipio - 09-19-2010

Ron wrote:
Quote:I agree. The last fun movie we've seen was UP.
...if you like UP, you'd probably enjoy 'Despicable Me', also a children's film, but like the Shrek series, plenty of quick and sly jokes for adults e.g. "Bank of Evil"(formerly Lehman bros)...... :lol: :lol:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 09-20-2010

Quote:[ Renting DVDs is much less expensive (actually buying DVDs is less expensive!) and the popcorn from our kitchen tastes much better.

Indeed so! And that is a shame because I do enjoy sitting in the dark of a movie theatre and watching a well told story unfold before my eyes on a screen larger than a battleship (well almost). But ...

Last night we pulled Return Of The King (extended version) from the shelf and enjoyed it even though it was only on our 32" XBR CRT and not in HD on a 52" monitor. Sad

Tonight, who knows? Rear Window or Chushingura or ...

The end of this year and into next Hollywood will be once again giving us Alien Invasions (H.G. Wells lives!) and as usual, some will be better than others. Of the crop announced so far, Monsters looks the most interesting, but each has its draw and I'm a sucker for Alien Invasions ... well, most of the time. :oops:

With any luck there will be other good reasons to venture into the cinema and spend some money. Until then, DVD's and homemade pop corn will be the order of the day.

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dithrambus - 09-20-2010

Quote:
Dithrambus:1sc47vrf Wrote:[ Renting DVDs is much less expensive (actually buying DVDs is less expensive!) and the popcorn from our kitchen tastes much better.

Indeed so! And that is a shame because I do enjoy sitting in the dark of a movie theatre and watching a well told story unfold before my eyes on a screen larger than a battleship (well almost). But ...

Last night we pulled Return Of The King (extended version) from the shelf and enjoyed it even though it was only on our 32" XBR CRT and not in HD on a 52" monitor. Sad

Tonight, who knows? Rear Window or Chushingura or ...

The end of this year and into next Hollywood will be once again giving us Alien Invasions (H.G. Wells lives!) and as usual, some will be better than others. Of the crop announced so far, Monsters looks the most interesting, but each has its draw and I'm a sucker for Alien Invasions ... well, most of the time. :oops:

With any luck there will be other good reasons to venture into the cinema and spend some money. Until then, DVD's and homemade pop corn will be the order of the day.

Narukami

Now that's quite a coincidence! Honestly, I just finished watching Return of the king. Big Grin (all 3+ hours of it, nothing on TV as usual) by far the best of the series (IMHO).
I was also just thinking to myself how much the dual crested Gondorian helms of the royal guard remind me of the dual crested Corinthian. 8)

Edit: This is a nice low budget prequel which portrays the meeting of Aragorn's parents etc, it is really not bad considering the budget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qINwCRM8 ... re=related

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 09-20-2010

Coincidence indeed.

Yes, I like ROTK very much, but only the extended version -- the theatrical release left out fat too much in order to keep the running time to a practical length. I feel the same about Two Towers -- again the extended version works and the theatrical much less so.

On the other hand ...

I do like the theatrical release of Fellowship. Yes, the extended release does have a lot of good moments and more story, but feel that the editing in the theatrical version is far more artistic. But it is a minor point. Hope the extended versions make it to Blu-ray soon.

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dithrambus - 09-20-2010

Quote:Ron wrote:
Quote:I agree. The last fun movie we've seen was UP.
...if you like UP, you'd probably enjoy 'Despicable Me', also a children's film, but like the Shrek series, plenty of quick and sly jokes for adults e.g. "Bank of Evil"(formerly Lehman bros)...... :lol: :lol:

I have two youngsters (9 and 11) and the made for children movies can be quite entertaining for adults as well, lot's of 'inside jokes' for us grown ups. Big Grin

Re: The last film you watched.... - Astiryu1 - 09-20-2010

If you really want to geek out on the LOTR extended editions watch all of the commentaries and look at all of the photos. I have done so...It wasn't a waste of time.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Ron Andrea - 09-20-2010

Quote:If you really want to geek out on the LOTR extended editions watch all of the commentaries and look at all of the photos. I have done so...It wasn't a waste of time.

Totally agree, though I justify it as "contextual research" for the heroic epuic I'll never write. :wink:

Re: The last film you watched.... - bellatrix - 09-21-2010

I know this is the "last film you watched" forum, but I have a question...has anyone seen Robin Hood with Russell Crowe? If so, was it good, bad, or ugly? Was it nothing more than Gladiator Part II? I'm just curious what others think of it. Thanks.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dithrambus - 09-22-2010

Quote:I know this is the "last film you watched" forum, but I have a question...has anyone seen Robin Hood with Russell Crowe? If so, was it good, bad, or ugly? Was it nothing more than Gladiator Part II? I'm just curious what others think of it. Thanks.

I plan to rent it tommorow night, I'll post my opinion for what it's worth. Considering the cast and director, one would assume it to be a good film, though I have read some negative reviews. Of course the critics have been wrong before.

BTW Bellatrix, have you seen Troy yet?

Re: The last film you watched.... - bellatrix - 09-22-2010

Quote:BTW Bellatrix, have you seen Troy yet?

No, I haven't seen it yet, but I just got a TV today that automatically loads Netflix, so I plan to see Troy within the next week! Sometimes I love technology. Big Grin I'll be curious to know what you think of Robin Hood.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Medicus matt - 09-22-2010

Quote:was it good, bad, or ugly?

None of the above. It's just a bit....meh. there's nothing wrong with it, all the elements for a good film are in place..it just doesn't fire. I didn't care about any of the characters, the battle scenes were messy and confused and some vital exposition seemed to be missing.

I'd hoped that the 'Directors Cut' on BlueRay would improve on the cinematic release (because the Directors cut of "Kingdom of Heaven" was vastly superior to the cinematic release, turned a crap film into a good one) but, sadly, it hasn't.

It's hard to put your finger on what's wrong with it , it's just......meh.

And I was in it....perhaps it's my fault.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Paullus Scipio - 09-22-2010

....not to mention the 1944 vintage (or thereabouts! ) landing craft..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Astiryu1 - 09-22-2010

Yeah that is my main beef(out of date slang for argument :wink: ) with the movie. Everything else for me was tolerable. There was a few good parts.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dithrambus - 09-22-2010

Quote:And I was in it....perhaps it's my fault.

Then we shall blame you for our displeasure with the film. Tongue

Actually, the comments so far seem to reflect what I have previously read from the critics. It is a shame, a film with such a great storyline, stellar cast & director and immense budget should have been a no-brainer. I plan to rent it anyway, I am a fool for movies which feature combat with sharp and pointy things. Big Grin