RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - Vindex - 10-06-2011

Quote:An excellent film indeed! So good that I don't mind the subtitles at all, actually I think the film would not have been as good had it been in English.

No, I didn't really mind the sub titles either although I know enough Spanish to realise they were a bit shorter than some of the spoken lines! And no, considering the historical research and a plethora of Western accents which could have been used, it was far better in Spanish. I've watched it again - a very good film indeed.

And yes, Ghostmojo, Henry of Navarre was boring. I kept hoping it would improve but it just got darker (as in scenery not atmosphere) and more " a day in the life of a depressed king..." - try Captain Alatriste!

Re: The last film you watched.... - tiberius aemilius naso - 10-13-2011

Quote:Viggo Mortenson in The Spanish Musketeer/Captain Alatriste.

Much better than either Henry of Navarre (far too long) and 1612 (still trying to work out all the Russian-Polish-Spanish connections - all with English subtitles) neither of which lived up to their alleged grisley descriptions BTW (although the depiction of the Polish Winged Hussars in 1612 seemed to be very good)

Anyhoo...The Spanish Musketeer, 17th C Spain and a sword for hire mercenary. Very good story, excellent atmposphere and a steady stream of pathos, misery and stoicism beautifully portrayed by Mortenson (in Spanish). Good film but certainly a 15+

A really good movie based on even better books. If they have been translated to English, you should give them a try (they are quite difficult to read in Spanish even if you can read Spanish, as they are writen in a style that resembles the language spoken in the xvii th century).

Re: The last film you watched.... - Vindex - 10-13-2011

Yes; my sister will be sending me one of the books and a dictionary - game for a try anyway!

I got the impression from the film that the way it was linked was from episodes in the books.

I love how some of the indoor scenes open as if they were paintings by Valazquez...beautiful lighting.

The best line has to be "Life is shit" as he's lying on the ground wounded after a duel where he's again killed someone he knows well.

Re: The last film you watched.... - tiberius aemilius naso - 10-14-2011

Yeah! The photography in the movie is wonderful! It costed 30 million dollar and looks like a 100 million movie. The paintings of Velazquez are clearly a reference, and really important in the book: Alatriste is supposed to be one of the soldiers in the painting "La Rendiciòn de Breda"! I hope you can read them, they are wonderful. My favourites are the "wartime" books: "El sol de Breda" is like Appocalypse Now in the xvii th century, and in "Corsarios de Levante" you can really feel all the salt and sun of the old Mediterranean in your face. I love them.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Vindex - 10-14-2011

Quote:Yeah! The photography in the movie is wonderful! It costed 30 million dollar and looks like a 100 million movie. The paintings of Velazquez are clearly a reference, and really important in the book: Alatriste is supposed to be one of the soldiers in the painting "La Rendiciòn de Breda"! I hope you can read them, they are wonderful. My favourites are the "wartime" books: "El sol de Breda" is like Appocalypse Now in the xvii th century, and in "Corsarios de Levante" you can really feel all the salt and sun of the old Mediterranean in your face. I love them.

Oh, thanks for that! I do feel that there are lots of references in the film I am missing (as well as translation) and I have to admit 17th C Spain is not my strongest period :wink: . Such a shame they aren't translated. I struggled with Cervantes in the original but got there in the end!

Re: The last film you watched.... - tiberius aemilius naso - 10-14-2011

What do you mean with that? That you finished Don Quijote? In that case you won't have any problem! But i've checked Amazon and at least the first books have been translated to English. I'll love to hear your impressions once you finish the first book!

Re: The last film you watched.... - Vindex - 10-14-2011

Quote:What do you mean with that? That you finished Don Quijote? In that case you won't have any problem! But i've checked Amazon and at least the first books have been translated to English. I'll love to hear your impressions once you finish the first book!

Yes, finished Don Q - but I didn;t say how long it took me though, did I???? :wink: (think years not months...)

Thank you again...perhaps the English would be quicker...you could be waiting a LONG time for my impressions otherwise LOL!

Re: The last film you watched.... - Vindex - 11-28-2011

Watched the film version of Cormac McCarthy's novel "The Road" as my Sunday afternoon "entertainment". Confusedhock:

What a harrowing movie!! Kept me awake most of the night...I think that is a good thing!? :?

Recommend it but not for the feint hearted and I am surprised by the 15 rating when you consider the blatant references to cannabilism and the violence. Still an extraordinary thing...

Re: The last film you watched.... - Epictetus - 11-29-2011

The book is stunning. I liked the movie The Road, too, and it is rare that I like movie adaptions. (It's hard to "like" such subject matter, but I imagine you know what I mean.) The book is rather short and the movie doesn't miss too much. I love the little nuances in the writing of the book. For instance, there are no chapters. It gives a feel to the story of constant awareness, constant searching, constant danger. There are no breaks, because the Man can never take a break if he wants him and his Boy to survive. It really is a remarkable literary work, and it thoroughly deserved it's Pulitzer.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Vindex - 11-29-2011

The book is on my "to do" list...

Re: The last film you watched.... - Medusa Gladiatrix - 11-30-2011

After me and two friends had enjoyed our Roman meal we watched a very old film - "Cleopatra" with Vivien Leigh as Cleopatra. The costumes of course were funny, and the whole movie reminded me as if it was a theatrical play brought onto celluloid.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 11-30-2011

Which, in fact, it is.

http://www.ancient-warfare.com/cms/magazine/david-reinke/307-hollywood-romans.html#readmore

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Theodosius the Great - 11-30-2011

Quote:After me and two friends had enjoyed our Roman meal we watched a very old film - "Cleopatra" with Vivien Leigh as Cleopatra.

Netflix?

AFAIK it hasn't been released on DVD.

Quote:The costumes of course were funny...

This one looked really nice to me.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Theodosius the Great - 11-30-2011

Quote:and the whole movie reminded me as if it was a theatrical play brought onto celluloid.

Yes, then there's the BBC version with Alec Guiness and Geneviève Bujold. I liked the movie version better. Both are barely watchable to me though. Confusedmile: The play is just bad.

~Theo

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 11-30-2011

The adventures of Tintin. Perhaps not a very great movie, but many elements betray that it was made with much care and love. The opening, with Hergé making a drawing of Tintin, is just brilliant.

Of course, the meeting between La Castafiore and the Sheikh is outside the tintinological canon, but at least it has the advantage that now I've heard, for the first time, the Air of the Jewels.

Air of the Jewels.