RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - john roberts - 11-30-2011

Quote:After me and two friends had enjoyed our Roman meal we watched a very old film - "Cleopatra" with Vivien Leigh as Cleopatra. The costumes of course were funny, and the whole movie reminded me as if it was a theatrical play brought onto celluloid.
This one is known in the States as "Caesar and Cleopatra," same as the George Bernard Shaw play it's based on.

Re: The last film you watched.... - taira1180 - 11-30-2011

The last movie I saw was Tintim. It was a good pulp action movie. Before that, it was the new Conan. Good actors, bad movie.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Vindex - 11-30-2011

Quote: but at least it has the advantage that now I've heard, for the first time, the Air of the Jewels.

Aha...now you need to listen to Callas and/or Trebaldi's versions...won't post them as that is going WAAAAY off topic. Give your ears a treat!!

I assume this is the new 3D version of Tintin? May even go to the cinema to see that one...

Re: The last film you watched.... - Medusa Gladiatrix - 12-01-2011

Quote:Netflix?

AFAIK it hasn't been released on DVD.

Here in Germany it has been released on DVD, see here:
http://www.amazon.de/Cleopatra-Vivien-Leigh/dp/B000VAEIKW/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1322680920&sr=1-1
But the language is only in German, that's most probably why it is quite cheap.

Quote:This one looked really nice to me.
We laughed about this strange helmet as well and I was joking that I want a thingy like that on my helmet, too :mrgreen:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Theodosius the Great - 12-01-2011

Hmm...yes, there's no Region 1 DVD. I guess European movies have a lower priority for US release. It might be more fun to watch in German. Confusedmile:

Quote:We laughed about this strange helmet as well and I was joking that I want a thingy like that on my helmet, too

Oh, of course! That head thingy ruins the look. Confusedhock: It reminds me of a water fountain. The squamata though looks authentic.

~Theo

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 12-02-2011

Caesar & Cleopatra is available on DVD at Amazon, though it is a Korean manufactured disc (with Korean subtitles) and some reviews have said the video quality is poor. (I have not viewed this particular DVD and so can not attest to its video quality or lack there of.)

I saw this film on Turner Classics and video quality was good. Perhaps TCM will do a release, though I would not hold my breath on that one.

http://www.amazon.com/Caesar-Cleopatra-Vivien-Leigh-Regions/dp/B000KFMN6Y/ref=sr_1_13?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1322764498&sr=1-13

:?

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Gaius Colletti - 12-02-2011

I saw "Immortals" the mythological story of the founder of Athens, made by the same producers as "300". Very 300-esque, I enjoyed it, very cool action scenes, but still I proceeded to point out all the inaccuracies to my friends afterwards.

Basically the film has historical names, and that is really it, but if you can cast that aside see it

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 12-30-2011

At the Cinema: The Descendants

Although set in Hawai'i, this story has very little to do with the islands and could easily have been set in almost any other location in the world. The cast does what is can with rather thin material and generally acquits itself well enough, but the film itself (from the same director as Election and Sideways) lacks the bite and intelligence of those earlier films. Too bad -- a lot of potential here that goes to waste.

That said, it was fun to see Hawai'i again -- it still looks great!

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Justin I - 12-30-2011

Just watched Stalingrad, the German film from 1993, with English subtitles.
www.imdb.com/title/tt0108211/

It was outstanding, maybe the best war movie I've ever seen. Much more grim and realistic than your typical Hollywood war story. Very depressing but also very dramatic and compelling. Has a strong anti-war message that makes you think about the concepts of duty and sacrifice. I'd elaborate but I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it.
A good movie for watching at home on a brutally cold winter night.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Kallithrix - 12-31-2011

The last film I saw was Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. I quite liked the first one, although I thought the plot was a bit slapdash. But the second one was very very good, a far more coherent plot and better pacing, more jokes, more action, just generally better done. It's like Sherlock meets Steampunk. I'd recommend it a lot :-)

Re: The last film you watched.... - Ghostmojo - 12-31-2011

Quote:Just watched Stalingrad, the German film from 1993, with English subtitles.
www.imdb.com/title/tt0108211/

It was outstanding, maybe the best war movie I've ever seen. Much more grim and realistic than your typical Hollywood war story. Very depressing but also very dramatic and compelling. Has a strong anti-war message that makes you think about the concepts of duty and sacrifice. I'd elaborate but I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it.
A good movie for watching at home on a brutally cold winter night.

Absolutely agree Big Grin 8)

It is nice to see things from the enemy (German) point of view where soldiers are portrayed as just regular blokes with all the usual foibles, some of whom clearly had little interest in the Nazi cause. You feel for some of them. As Napoleon found to his cost a hundred+ years earlier - fighting in wintry Russia is a fool's errand.

Re: The last film you watched.... - jvrjenivs - 12-31-2011

"In This World", a 2002 British docudrama directed by Michael Winterbottom. The film won the Golden Bear prize at the 2003 Berlin International Film Festival.

It's about two Afghan refugees, whom try to reach London, UK. A sad story showing the habits of people smugglers and dangers of the illegal travel. It certainly shows a world one wouldn't know about.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Vindex - 12-31-2011

Clearly being far too frivilous...

As I don't own a TV I amuse myself from my vast dvd collection and so far this Festive Period I have watched:

Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.
Divorcing Jack - VERY funny 1980s movie about the Troubles in Northern Ireland
Philadelphia Story
A Knight's Tale
The Princess Bride
Strictly Ballroom
A Muppet Christmas Carol
Scrooged

and tonight's treat is Withnail and I!!!

See...FAR too frivilous Big Grin

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 12-31-2011

Watched Benny and Joon again last night. Some good performances in that one. Mary Louise does an excellent job, as always. And the pre-Captain Jack Sparrow Depp is very entertaining. He's a better actor than the Pirate, but I guess money is money, so they'll probably do another Pirate film later.

Re: The last film you watched.... - D B Campbell - 12-31-2011

Quote:and tonight's treat is Withnail and I!!!
Love it! "We've gone on holiday by mistake." Superb. 8)