RomanArmyTalk
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. (/showthread.php?tid=16575)

RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - Renatus - 10-06-2022

(10-05-2022, 07:26 PM)Owein Walker Wrote: I only wanted to stop Mancetter placing a memorial in the wrong place

I think we'd all like to do that.

RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - Owein Walker - 10-06-2022

(10-06-2022, 10:22 AM)Renatus Wrote:
(10-05-2022, 07:26 PM)Owein Walker Wrote: I only wanted to stop Mancetter placing a memorial in the wrong place

I was concerned,there seemed to be a communication blackout !

(10-06-2022, 08:01 PM)Owein Walker Wrote:
(10-06-2022, 10:22 AM)Renatus Wrote:

I was concerned,there seemed to be a communication blackout !

So I joined up with local metal detectorists to keep an eye on things! (yes,thats the way I play)

RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - Renatus - 10-07-2022

(10-07-2022, 07:49 AM)Owein Walker Wrote: Looking for a site 800 m wide and over a mile long became a lot easier.

I am interested in these measurements.  Can you say how you arrived at them?

RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - Renatus - 10-07-2022

(10-07-2022, 03:03 PM)Owein Walker Wrote: Ok,I think you may be asking me to use Numbers of soldiers per square metre,so deep etc, etc, to identify the size of the battlefield and come up with a figure

I'm simply asking how you came up with those criteria.

RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - Owein Walker - 10-09-2022

I apologise to everyone for deleting my messages and upsetting the nature of the post, but hope we continue without too many similar actions in future.

This feels like this is a good opportunity to thank Steve Kaye and recognise the contribution and vital assistance ,without which,many of my findings would remain unknown.

Mr Steve Kaye,your work on Roman camps and military requirements has been very useful, and the mapping data you sent, found new features that would have remained hidden for years,your help really is appreciated.Thank you Steve.

RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - Steve Kaye - 10-10-2022

Ian, My pleasure. Pleased to assist where possible.

Regards, Steve Kaye

RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - John1 - 10-11-2022

"If I understand this correctly the battlefield is less a defile more of a valley." Dadlamassu

having a re-read and wanted to clarify this comment. In my interpretation a defile is a valley, a particularly narrow and steep sided one. That seems to be in line with the Miriam Webster definition:

"narrow passage as between hills, rocks or cliffs"

Am I missing some subtlety of definition between valley and defile? On site the CS topography seems the best fit for the definition I am working to...

RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - Renatus - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 08:28 AM)John1 Wrote: "If I understand this correctly the battlefield is less a defile more of a valley." Dadala

having a re-read and wanted to clarify this comment. In my interpretation a defile is a valley, a particularly narrow and steep sided one. That seems to be in line with the Miriam Webster definition:

"narrow passage as between hills, rocks or cliffs"

Am I missing some subtlety of definition between valley and defile? On site the CS topography seems the best fit for the definition I am working to...

Remember that 'defile' is only a translation.  According to my dictionary, fauces can also mean 'a narrow way, narrow outlet, pass', so I am quite happy to see it as a narrow valley.

RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - Renatus - 10-15-2022

(04-04-2022, 02:04 PM)[email protected] Wrote: I have relooked at Boudiccaslostbattlefield.com and for a number of reasons now think that my alternative Dio battlefield near Brill is the location.

Can you elucidate?

RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - John1 - 10-15-2022

Regarding Martyn's site, is much known about the Roman Camp on Muswell Hill? Lidar is a good description of the steepness and height of that topography.

https://heritageportal.buckinghamshire.gov.uk/Monument/MBC527

RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - Nathan Ross - 10-18-2022

(10-15-2022, 09:20 AM)John1 Wrote: is much known about the Roman Camp on Muswell Hill?

0.5 hectares would make it a very tiny 'Roman Camp'. It could be a small fort, like the ones at Nanstallon and Restormel in Cornwall of around that size, but aside from the approximate shape there seems little reason to think it's Roman at all.

Here's LIDAR for Newground, out of interest:

RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - John1 - 10-18-2022

Have you been onto the top of that knoll? 

I see no camp but its obvious where it would be if there was one. But absence of evidence and all that.... and I bet there is something interesting up there.

RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - Nathan Ross - 10-18-2022

(10-18-2022, 02:27 PM)John1 Wrote: the top of that knoll... its obvious where it would be...

I don't think there's much up there, but it's about 350 metres south of the site at Cow Roast that turned up the Roman military finds.

I'm guessing the encampment of the Britons was around this area, with the 'open plain' extending c.900m NNW towards the line of Newground Road.

Perhaps Boudica sat on top of the knoll to watch the action? [Image: smile.png]

RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - Renatus - 10-18-2022

(10-18-2022, 04:50 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote: I'm guessing the encampment of the Britons was around this area, with the 'open plain' extending c.900m NNW towards the line of Newground Road.

Perhaps Boudica sat on top of the knoll to watch the action? [Image: smile.png]

In that case, where are the Romans?

RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - Nathan Ross - 10-19-2022

(10-18-2022, 07:47 PM)Renatus Wrote: In that case, where are the Romans?

I would suggest either of these positions (more or less as I did back here):