RomanArmyTalk
HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the (/showthread.php?tid=2040)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Marcus Mummius - 10-26-2005

Quote:Since when did BBC stand for Belgian Broadcasting Corporation? Shocked

Nobody told you??? Confusedhock: Tongue

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - hansvl - 10-26-2005

Quote:It's an HBO/BBC co-production! Since when did BBC stand for Belgian Broadcasting Corporation? Shocked

And you were wondering why your government is downsizing auntie Beeb? Big Grin

Hans

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Tarbicus - 10-27-2005

Marcus and Hans, you both know, if it was Belgian Broadcasting Corporation, 'Rome's' leading character would be none other than Centurio Eddie Wally. :wink:

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Niedel - 10-31-2005

Just watched the latest episode (Utica). Ouch, this is getting more and more soap opera-ish with typical HBO "push the envelope" thrown in for good measure. I'd like to see more about Caesar and what the man actually did. After a good start, this show has seriously degraded IMO.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Robert Vermaat - 11-01-2005

Just watched episode 1 on the Belgian TV. I like it!

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Marius_Ursus - 11-01-2005

I like it a lot. With the primary purpose of HBO, on their own Rome message board (as my wife informed me) being ratings, they know their market. Sex sells, and most stuff that's historically accurate is incredibly dry.

About the two legionaries, I don't know for myself if this is true, but the historical consultant said that the only two soldiers mentioned by name in Caesar's diaries of the Gallic War were Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo who did - in fact - retrieve the AQUILA from Gallic brigands.

I also don't think the tunica Pullo runs around in when he's not in uniform is completely accurate, but we do know that tea dying was in practice back then...and the imperial eagle on the front may not be accurate, but it's pretty darn cool. I'd wear one of those as everyday wear.

In fact, my wife...

Never mind. :twisted:

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Nathan Ross - 11-01-2005

Quote:but we do know that tea dying was in practice back then

:? )

Quote:the historical consultant said that the only two soldiers mentioned by name in Caesar's diaries of the Gallic War were Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo who did - in fact - retrieve the AQUILA from Gallic brigands.

Surely not - there are at least half a dozen individual soldiers mentioned by name in Caesar's Commentaries, a couple of them more than once. Sextius Baculus springs to mind (hoping I get the name right this time!), as does Cassius Scaeva, who seems to have deserted Caesar for Pompeius. There are also Balventius, Lucanius, Petrosidius and others of the XIV legion, albeit only mentioned at the occasion of their deaths... All of these are centurions (plus one aquilifer, I think), as were Varenus and Pullo/Pulfio, but there is, AFAIK, no story of eagles and Gallic brigands: the two centurions engage in a competitive killing-spree whilst beseiged by the Gauls, but nothing more. Incidentally, Caesar doesn't mention which legion Pullo and Varenus belonged to, but it wasn't the thirteenth - they were elsewhere at the time!

But despite such nitpicks, I'm still looking forward to episode 1, which is showing here... tomorrow night.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Marius_Ursus - 11-01-2005

Quote:
Quote:but we do know that tea dying was in practice back then

:? )

Quote:the historical consultant said that the only two soldiers mentioned by name in Caesar's diaries of the Gallic War were Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo who did - in fact - retrieve the AQUILA from Gallic brigands.

Surely not - there are at least half a dozen individual soldiers mentioned by name in Caesar's Commentaries, a couple of them more than once. Sextius Baculus springs to mind (hoping I get the name right this time!), as does Cassius Scaeva, who seems to have deserted Caesar for Pompeius. There are also Balventius, Lucanius, Petrosidius and others of the XIV legion, albeit only mentioned at the occasion of their deaths... All of these are centurions (plus one aquilifer, I think), as were Varenus and Pullo/Pulfio, but there is, AFAIK, no story of eagles and Gallic brigands: the two centurions engage in a competitive killing-spree whilst beseiged by the Gauls, but nothing more. Incidentally, Caesar doesn't mention which legion Pullo and Varenus belonged to, but it wasn't the thirteenth - they were elsewhere at the time!

But despite such nitpicks, I'm still looking forward to episode 1, which is showing here... tomorrow night.

Thanks for the clarification on Caesar's writing. I really appreciate that.

As far as tea dying is concerned, you don't have to use tea. If I recall correctly, any root- or leaf-boiling that produces a colored water that will stain cloth is considered tea dying, even though it's not necessarily tea that's used.

Forgot to mention earlier my favorite scene in Rome so far. It's when Titus Pullo leaps into Cleopatra's tent and kills the Nubian assassins in there. I think it's hilarious when he's stradling the latter, stabs him a dozen times, and then suddenly comes back to his senses and looks up with that, "Oh, there are other people here!" look on his face and says, "Oh, hello ladies!" :lol:

Rome - Vlad the Impala - 11-03-2005

well watched the first epidoe on BBC last night...........................

boring -- I hope it gets a lot better

I guess the historical consultants decided using Rome Total War was good reference material................should have bought Connelly's Greece and Rome At War instead--could have saved a fortune in consultancy work!

according to HBO website they' made all the helmets and the centurions 'hat'...................should have dropped Deepeeka an email I reckon.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Praefectusclassis - 11-03-2005

I kinda liked it. Yes, you can gripe about military equipment, but the general feel of Rome itself, for instance, was much more to my liking than usual. Dirty, colorful, messy!

Rome - Vlad the Impala - 11-03-2005

Quote:you can gripe about military equipment

I could Big Grin

but I just found the first episode so very dull.........after 20 minutes I was thinking 'can I really be bothered to watch the rest?'

and by the end I cant say I found it any better

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Niedel - 11-03-2005

Maybe the fact that BBC cut the first 3 episodes and made 2 out of the three original HBO episodes had something to do with it (that would mean cutting 150 minutes to about 100). The first episode was a bit slow moving here in the US, but it seems like the BBC really butchered the first three episodes.

You poor Brits - Neuraleanus - 11-04-2005

Sad You mean you do not get to see Atia of the Julii bouncing up and down? Or Cleopatra doing it vertically with Pullo?

I just did a quick search on emule, and the first 9 episodes are there for downloading.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Kate Gilliver - 11-04-2005

Like Jasper I thought the the grimy Rome set was great and some of the small details like Octavius clipping the slave round the ear were rather good. We've been mostly nitpicking here (I'm told the wall painting styles are anachronistic); for myself it's minor and unnecessary inaccuracies that are irritating: why is Octavius called Octavian when he's still Octavius? Soldiers CAN marry in this period (contrary to what Pullo & Vorenus suggest), and threatening to send a legionary to the arena for jumping out of the acies to engage the enemy? That's one of the few times it's ok to do that - he's more likely to have been decorated! If you're spending millions on fab sets and a great cast, why allow such minor errors to creep in? What's the Historical Consultant doing?! Probably being ignored, as usual.
All in all I thought it was great fun, miles better than Star Wars attack of the clones which ITV put up against it.