RomanArmyTalk
HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the (/showthread.php?tid=2040)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Marius_Ursus - 11-07-2005

Quote:Avete, I suppose the fact that Vorenus and Pullo are friends(?) and was offered repayment for the slave made it a matter between the two men.Also,if not reported,well...and Vorenus has always been kind of fatherly in a way to Pullo( who is often like a petulent child).Sure is heating up for the season finale,too.Anyone want to guess what the end will be.Et tu? :wink:

I've been joking with my wife about how many viewers will be pissed off when Caesar gets assassinated. LOL :lol:

Re: You poor Brits - Arthes - 11-07-2005

Quote:Sad You mean you do not get to see Atia of the Julii bouncing up and down? Or Cleopatra doing it vertically with Pullo?
The only episode I have seen, so far, had so much 'bouncing up and down' it should have been 'X' rated.... :oops:
Rather interesting view of Roman life though......now I know why it was called Vulgar Latin....hehe :lol:
regards
Arthes

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Tarbicus - 11-08-2005

I watched the first UK episode again the other night, and I have to say I've really warmed to it. Reminds me of "I Clavdivs" in a way, which was very controversial when it came out.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Marcus Mummius - 11-08-2005

It's really a shame they cut so much in the BBC version... Some good parts where missing. And when I saw the BBC version after I'd seen the CANVAS version the BBC version seemed too fast and just a collection of flashes.

Latest Episode of HBO\'s Rome - Narukami - 11-08-2005

Question for the Group Mind: Did the Romans really strangle Vercingetorix as shown in the most recent episode?

I know that they did strangle him at the end of the Triumph, but I thought it happened at the prison, not in public and not by "machine" as it were.

Perhaps someone can confirm just how accurate that depiction was.

Otherwise I must say that, all in all, I am enjoying the series, though I still favor "I Claudius" but that is probably a sign of my age more than anything else.

And yes Marius Ursus, I too wonder how many fans will be both surprised and upset when Caesar is killed. That anyone is surprised will be a true indictment of our educational system.

Narukami

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Ebusitanus - 11-08-2005

Quote:It's really a shame they cut so much in the BBC version... Some good parts where missing. And when I saw the BBC version after I'd seen the CANVAS version the BBC version seemed too fast and just a collection of flashes.

Its kind of normal. When I watched Band of Brothers while working in the US I was shocked when I watched the Euro (Brit) version of it with scores of scenes deleted.

[Image: 300378d.jpg]

Quote:This handsome helm has a hand-hammered antiqued finish and is of a type that can be seen repeated in relief carvings of Trajan's Column in Rome. The helmet has an adjustable liner and eyelets on the cheek pieces. A must for any collector of Roman arms and armor. Made by Windlass Steelcrafts®. #300378...$245

This just left me speechless. But the good part is that apparently now the Trajan Column is again useable as model. :lol:

Why can´t these people so much as take a quick peek into one of the bazillion ilustrated books about the age they want to represent? Millions into city decor (reusing the old Augustus set) but not a cent for a sad Connolly Book. :roll:

Tunic Wars III - ambrosius - 11-10-2005

Quote:I also don't think the tunica Pullo runs around in when he's not in uniform is completely accurate, but we do know that tea dying was in practice back then...and the imperial eagle on the front may not be accurate, but it's pretty darn cool. I'd wear one of those as everyday wear.

Well at least they bothered to change out of their red tunics when in Rome.
And did you notice the rebuke Marcus Antonius got for turning-up to the
meeting with Pompey dressed in the "red cloak of a soldier" 8)

Ambrosius

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - ambrosius - 11-10-2005

Quote:[You can't crucify Roman citizens! hang on a couple of years and there'll be a book on punishment, bravery, cowardice, killing officers, mutiny and all the fun things Roman soldiers get up to but probably shouldn't (my sabbatical project Smile )

Quote:OK, OK, I was too rash there. I actually did not remember if he was a citizen or not.

Why Robert... a legionary? :lol:

Quote:The flooging scene was awful. i mean, flogging is not something endured so lightly! These whips are heavy and cause immense pain, not to mention bloodloss! The 'stoic' reaction was way too 'hollywood-heroic' for my taste.. Cry

Quite right. They should have used a real cat-o-nine-tails on that sucker
(purely in the interest of eliciting a more realistic performance). After a
genuine larruping with a horse-whip, you don't smart-alec like that. If he had, they'd just keep going till he stopped. :lol:

Ambrosius

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Tarbicus - 11-10-2005

Quote:They should have used a real cat-o-nine-tails on that sucker
(purely in the interest of eliciting a more realistic performance).
He had brain surgery tonight and only groaned very loudly. He's a very hard man.

Atia steals the show so far - great performance.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - ambrosius - 11-10-2005

Quote:He had brain surgery tonight and only groaned very loudly.

That's because it's only a very little one... :lol:

Quote: He's a very hard man.

Yep. Seems to be hard most of the time... :lol:

Quote: Atia steals the show so far - great performance.

True. She does... perform... quite a lot... :lol:

Ambrosius

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Tarbicus - 11-10-2005

Big Grin lol: LOL!!! I was talking about her acting abilities, but some people .... :wink:

Roman Helmet - Graham Sumner - 11-10-2005

Quote:Why can´t these people so much as take a quick peek into one of the bazillion illustrated books about the age they want to represent? Millions into city decor (reusing the old Augustus set) but not a cent for a sad Connolly Book.

Hi.

Actually in the case of this helmet it may come as a surprise to some but it is actually based on a helmet shown in 'The Roman Soldier' by G.R. Watson. 1969! It does seem to owe more to Asterix rather than Trajan.

The helmet illustrated in plate 11 was supposedly found at Emesa and was made of silver and looks to be in (perhaps suspiciously) excellent condition. I have never seen any details about it's current whereabouts or when or exactly where it was discovered.

It was not featured at all in Russel Robinson's book although its discovery must have predated his publication.

If anyone can shed any light on this helmet I would be grateful.

Graham

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 11-10-2005

Salve,Graham

I, too, have been wondering where this helmet came from.
Although I am a novice here, I looked in my copy of Connolly's
"Greece and Rome at War" and found it pictured there on
Trajan's Column.

I'm not sure why exactly everyone is so
sceptical of the depictions on Trajan's Column.
My study of art history shows me that though the poses are sometimes stylized,most artists do a pretty good job on details.
Would anyone deny Michaelangelo could render a person
faithfully? He was just a sculptor,too.

(Sorry,I digress.)
:oops: To me, it's a cool helmet,though.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Praefectusclassis - 11-10-2005

Isn't that some well-known 19th C forgery? Somewhere at the back of my mind I have a pic of a similar helmet that was taken as the real thing for a long time. But I'm not at all sure it's this one.

**edit**
Feugère, Les armes des Romains on p.22 has a drawing of the Jard (Vendee) helmet, a 19th C forgery which, according to Feugere, the only helmet every found with a ringlet on top like Trajan's column.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Kate Gilliver - 11-10-2005

The helmet illustrated in Watson The Roman Soldier plate 11 is allegedly from Emesa in Syria and dated to the first century AD. It was published by Cornelius Vermeule in Journal of Roman Studies 50 (1960), 8-11, with very good quality b/w illustrations. The helmet is silver (yes, silver), making it unique for Roman helmets, I think, and it’s also unique in that nothing else like it has been discovered in the archaeological record, (again, as far as I’m aware). Vermuele draws on sculptural evidence of the Arch of Constantine and Trajan’s Column for comparable pieces, and you can see one on T’s Col at the Stoa website here: [url:1zv7x3do]http://www.stoa.org/trajan/buildtrajanpage.cgi?248[/url]

Robinson (Armour of Imperial Rome) 1975, 65, says “the silver helmet with an over-large ring said to have come from Emesa, in Syria, and now in the Toledo Museum of Art in America is, in my opinion, a complete fabrication of recent times.â€Â