RomanArmyTalk
HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the (/showthread.php?tid=2040)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Ebusitanus - 11-22-2005

Not bad seeing how the commentaries touch on subjects such as the scourges and the stirrups. What did they say about their fantasy helmets?

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Marius_Ursus - 11-23-2005

Quote:Not bad seeing how the commentaries touch on subjects such as the scourges and the stirrups. What did they say about their fantasy helmets?

That wasn't addressed, unfortunately. The commentaries last only about five minutes for each episode, hardly enough to chew on.

I think they used the helmets from Masada as a template and then unimproved on them. :lol:

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Niedel - 11-25-2005

The helmets are direct copies from Trajan's column, little ring thingy on top and all.
As to the entire series, which is finished here in the US now, there are big historical inaccuracies, some bigger than others. You guys be warned about the Cleopatra episode, [sigh].
Also [MIGHT BE A SPOILER, so if you don't want to know anything don't read on]:
There is no big battle scene a la Gladiator. Just don't expect one, then you won't be disappointed like I was.
As to the drama and all, I found the series very entertaining.

Broadcasting in Spain - P. Lilius Frugius Simius - 12-12-2005

The series will be broadcast in Spain tomorrow!

Channel Quatro at 22:00 hours, apparently two episodes every tuesday!

I'm pretty intrigued by it, will try to save it on tape and we'll see... :-) )

vale!

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Ebusitanus - 12-13-2005

Channel quatro? I have not even tried to get that channel on my TV set...damn..will have to hurry Big Grin

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - aitor iriarte - 12-14-2005

A little late for the information (sorry, Daniel! :oops: )
Canal Cuatro is the ancient Canal Plus. It is now uncodified.

The series is lively and catching to see but I can hardly stomach the lots of crappy equipment... :x

Aitor

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Theodosius the Great - 12-14-2005

Is this the same shield seen on the HBO series ?

[url:1k3zs0is]http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/eCat/Armor%20And%20Shields/Oval%20Roman%20Shield.aspx[/url]

_________

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - DAN OF BRITANNIA - 12-15-2005

Cleopatra smoking an opium pipe???!!!!!!!

What's more, one that looked like a 19th Century Chinese pipe!!!

Well I can overlook most kit complaints in the cause of good drama and witty script, but this is totally daft and very annoying!

If she'd heated some hemp seeds up on some sort of burner and had leaned over under a cloak to get a fix then that'd be more credible (considering Herodotus' Scythians account).

'The Scythians then take the seed of this hemp and creep under the felt coverings, and then they throw the seed upon the stones which have been heated red-hot: and it burns like incense and produces a vapour so think that no vapour-bath in Hellas would surpass it: and the Scythians being delighted with the vapour-bath howl like wolves'.

Herodotus Book 4: 75.

Ok they wanted to give her character an edge, make her a bit flawed and intense... but an opium pipe???? I think the art dept/props advisor were obviously all on holiday when that episode was filmed.

What do you lot think?

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Ebusitanus - 12-15-2005

Due to my geographical position I could not get to the show here in Spain. I hope they will sell it soon on DVD.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Robert Vermaat - 12-15-2005

Quote:Cleopatra smoking an opium pipe???!!!!!!!What do you lot think?
Well it certainly was drugs!
[Image: mumpic.jpg]
Maybe the directors heard about Egyptian mummies tested positive for nicotine and cocaine, and decided to 'dramatise' that a bit? But we know that ancient Egypt knew about opium, but did they smoke it?
the Story of Opium

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - DAN OF BRITANNIA - 12-15-2005

:lol:

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Nathan Ross - 12-15-2005

Still haven't seen 'Rome' - I'm getting a friend to tape all the episodes and I'll watch them back to back over Xmas in a monster Romathon. From the HBO site episode guides, though, it seems that dodgy helmets and dope-smoking Egyptians are small potatoes, plausability-wise:

Quote:Vorenus and Pullo find themselves washed ashore on a small island of sand in the Adriatic, surrounded by the bodies of less fortunate soldiers...

...Desperate for their survival, Vorenus and Pullo build a raft from the bloated bodies of their comrades, and paddle fiercely out to sea. They eventually collapse from exhaustion and dehydration, and awake to find themselves drifting ashore again - this time greeted by what's left of Pompey's camp.

You what? Confusedhock: That would be Pompey's camp near Pharsalus, i.e on the other side of Greece from the Adriatic? Hell of a lot of 'fierce paddling'! Perhaps it works better on the screen, I dunno...

Perhaps after so many days the gas escaping from the stiffs would've created a hover-craft effect... they'd have arrived in no time at all!

I wonder what happened to the boat afterwards, it seemed to have a fairly close and well ordered crew!!!!

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Robert Vermaat - 12-15-2005

Quote:I wonder what happened to the boat afterwards, it seemed to have a fairly close and well ordered crew!!!!
They buried it for future generations..

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Ebusitanus - 12-16-2005

Quote:You what? Confusedhock: That would be Pompey's camp near Pharsalus, i.e on the other side of Greece from the Adriatic? Hell of a lot of 'fierce paddling'! Perhaps it works better on the screen, I dunno...

I believe both were already washed ashore on the Balkanic side of the Adriatic and tried to leave the island and then got washed ashore the real coastline.