RomanArmyTalk
HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the (/showthread.php?tid=2040)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Tarbicus - 12-29-2005

A nice touch tonight with Vorenus giving a speech for his magistracy election in an adlocutio style, arms outstretched to the side. Ties in with the 'salute' thread.

Rome in summer 2006 in German TV - Uwe Bahr - 01-07-2006

Hi friends,

good news for all German RAT'ers - today I read in my TV Journal that the series ROME will start in German TV this summer !!! Big Grin D D

Greets - Uwe

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Virilis - 01-07-2006

O Tempora O Mores!

Just noticed that HBOConfused "Rome" will be on the air starting 20th January this year here in Finland. I saw a trailer of it and all my worst fears about the "authenticity" of this series were blown away.

All the usual flaws were shown, "pseudo-attic" helmets for legionaires (a simple Montefortino helmet seems to be a impossibility for the film-makers), leather Lorica- type jerkins, pompeii-style swords in Caesar`s time, rectancular scutums about the size 2/3 of the originals...

Of course if it is a good drama and action... Sorry, it is not enough for me!
There`s a limited space in this time and space of ours for roman movies/series and after this there will be even less!

Virilis "the angry"

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Tarbicus - 01-08-2006

Wikipedia's page on the show: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_(TV_series)

And director Michael Apted's view on the BBC's butchering of the first 3 episodes:
Quote:In a separate move the BBC also decided to re-edit the first three episodes (all directed by Michael Apted) into two episodes so that the UK broadcast consists of 11 rather than 12 episodes. The BBC claimed that this was because the British audience were more familiar with the history of Rome than their American counterparts and so much of the backstory was unnecessary. However, Apted claims that the purpose was to boost the ratings by increasing the prominence of the scenes of sex and violence. In an interview with The Times [8], Apted said:

"I'm really pissed off with the BBC for bringing down my first three episodes to two and, in doing so, taking out much of the vital politics. What also makes me very grumpy is that I was told that the cuts had been introduced by the BBC because they thought British viewers already knew the historical background. But all that's happened as far as the viewer is concerned is that it has made Rome hard to follow."

Apted also said that he only found out about the cuts by accident claiming:

"I only found out by chance a couple of weeks ago when one of the actors told me."

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Tarbicus - 01-08-2006

And does anyone know this guy?
Quote:Rome's armor, helmets, and other metal costume elements were handcrafted by metal designer Luca Giampaoli. He handmade all metal costume elements for the principal actors, although "mass-produced" items (such a legionary armor) was replicated by metalwork companies in India.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Virilis - 01-19-2006

Salve!

I have just watched the the first part of the HBO`s "Rome". I just didn`t get "into" it. Some sex, some violence, qaction, very unconvincing Caesar, crappy equipment.... In my opinion a bit younger Roy Scheider would have been perfect for the part of Caesar!

I know I should appreciate the s entertainment value of "Rome" but still... Perhaps I am too old (39 years)? Having just watched the "I, Claudius" series again I must say that the old-style slow-flowing narrative works much better and the actors are from another planet compared to this "Rome".

I will watch of course the whole series of "Rome" but not anticipating much...

Regards,

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Tarbicus - 01-19-2006

Quote:just watched the the first part

Stick with it, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - arklore70 - 01-19-2006

Anyone know when the second season kicks off?

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - FAVENTIANVS - 01-20-2006

Quote:Is this the same shield seen on the HBO series ?

[url:1l43fpbe]http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/eCat/Armor%20And%20Shields/Oval%20Roman%20Shield.aspx[/url]
Yes.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Marius_Ursus - 01-23-2006

Quote:Anyone know when the second season kicks off?

It's scheduled to air in 2007.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - FAVENTIANVS - 01-23-2006

So there's a 2nd part after Caesar's death?! I didn't know that...

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Anonymous - 01-23-2006

Does season 2 begin in America, on HBO, in 2007 or is that in the UK? Also, does anybody know how the season even kick off?

Pullo becoming a consul or even emperor before Augustus is granted that title?

I mean... that guy has done pretty much everything else on the show. :lol:

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Robert Vermaat - 01-23-2006

Quote:I mean... that guy has done pretty much everything else on the show. :lol:
Yes, but now he's down in the dolldrums, with his patron dead and lots of folks hating his guts. With his family in tatters (and out of a job too soon to build that big farmhouse) he's on the dole....
I saw the last part on the BBc and just saw in again on Belgian TV. Did you notice that look that young Octavian gave whatshername? I bet he's bent on revenge for his family being threatened that way.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - FAVENTIANVS - 01-23-2006

Quote:
Odysseus:2co849lp Wrote:I mean... that guy has done pretty much everything else on the show. :lol:
Yes, but now he's down in the dolldrums, with his patron dead and lots of folks hating his guts. With his family in tatters (and out of a job too soon to build that big farmhouse) he's on the dole....
I saw the last part on the BBc and just saw in again on Belgian TV. Did you notice that look that young Octavian gave whatshername? I bet he's bent on revenge for his family being threatened that way.
SERVILIA was her name... Caesar's ex-lover.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Anonymous - 01-23-2006

Yeah, I think Octavian is going to go on a rampage next season. Whatsherface is Servillia I think, and she is definitly on his hit list.

And while Pullo is on a bit of a bad luck streak, he does have that hot chick now... Even he cant sneak too low, he's gotta come back and defeat the Ostrogoths and defend Rome from being sacked 500 years later. :lol: