RomanArmyTalk
HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the (/showthread.php?tid=2040)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Martin Wallgren - 01-25-2006

Saw on the official homepage that the second season is being filmed now in Marsh 2006 so it airing on HBO 2007 sounds right!

M

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Luca - 02-01-2006

Roman Hideout has posted some images with critics:

http://www.romanhideout.com/images/roma ... efault.asp

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - rkmvca1 - 02-01-2006

Quote:Pullo becoming a consul or even emperor before Augustus is granted that title?

I mean... that guy has done pretty much everything else on the show.

and

Quote:Yes, but now he's down in the dolldrums, with his patron dead and lots of folks hating his guts. With his family in tatters (and out of a job too soon to build that big farmhouse) he's on the dole....

You are talking about Lucius Vorenus, not Titus Pullo, ie, this guy, not this guy

Does anybody think Niobe (Vorenus' wife) may not be dead after the last episode?

rkmvca

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - rkmvca1 - 02-01-2006

Interesting commentary on the Roman Hideout pictures. Some of their criticisms are pretty picky, but the did point out good stuff too.

rkmvca

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - arklore70 - 02-01-2006

I give it 50/50 odds. If she dies, I bet he turns into a real monster, if she lives I am betting he becomes a much nicer kind of guy with some sort of redemption side story.

Pullo I see becoming a family man kind of guy now that he has his hot celt woman.

I am unsure how Servilla died. heck she was a bit older that Caesar so I am betting she wont be around for long whether it be by old age or a pugio in the back in the middle of the night. Would love to see Octavia poison her when she finds out what a plotting old woman she really is.

I just hope there is no leather looking armor this time around and that there are bigger and better battles.

Cheers!!

Mike

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Tarbicus - 02-02-2006

My bet's on Pullo joining with Octavian's forces because of their relationship, and Vorenus siding with Marc Antony because he swore an oath of loyalty to him in the first series. That's if the story gets to that stage of events. The end of the first season really opened up all sorts of nasty possibilities :twisted: Top drama.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - rkmvca1 - 02-02-2006

^ that sounds about right Tarbicus.

I wonder who they'll get to play the grown Octavian? I thought the kid (Max Pirkis) was great. He was good in Master and Commander, too.

And I suppose the best way to find out if Niobe is actually dead is to check to see if Indira Varma has had her contract extended Tongue Hope so, she certainly is easy on the eyes! She could act as sort of a moral center for a degrading Vorenus, or something.

I agree, top drama1

rkmvca

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - arklore70 - 02-02-2006

Excellent point on Pullo and Vorenus being on opposite sides. Would make for much good drama.

A lot of brothers and friends fought and even met each other in battle during the American Civil War on opposite sides.

I am sure it has happened in all civil wars, I guess that is what helps to make them so nasty and so emotional.

Cheers!!

Mike

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Tarbicus - 02-03-2006

Quote:I am sure it has happened in all civil wars, I guess that is what helps to make them so nasty and so emotional.
It sure did. Poor young Iulius Mansuetus killed his own dad at the 2nd Cremona. It stopped part of the battle for a short while.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Ebusitanus - 02-16-2006

I just watched the last episode and I must say this show is much better than I thought. Yes, those helmets, shields and bracae anoy me to no end but it could have been worse.

Pullo is a simple man but even he realitzes that most of what Vorenus is today is due to his doings (or ill doings) and he has squat to show for. I think he resents a bit all this. I would say he will join Octavian in this upcomming strugle. Vorenus is in for some problems due to the fact that Anthony will surely acuse him of collaborating in the plot for his sudden disapearance near Caesar´s murder. Niboe is surely alife...would not make much sense movie wise to kill her like that.

Question...Pullo got his girl from those deserting Pompeyan legionaires and their gold wagon. Those deserters got the girl just outside Rome as it is show how one Cavalry man picks her up and takes her along. I mean...if she was already a slave then she must have belonged to someone, right? I find it hard to believe you can just take a slave along without any trouble.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at - Luca - 02-17-2006

It is now announced also in Italy.
I'm very curious to see it.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - rkmvca1 - 02-21-2006

You know you're hooked when you start to think about the characters as real people. I care about Pullo and Vorenus, and worry about their fate in the upcoming civil wars.

Isn't that just nuts?

rkmva

ps - don't give a fig about the aristos, and we pretty much know what happens to most of those characters anyway.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Tarbicus - 02-21-2006

Quote:ps - don't give a fig about the aristos, and we pretty much know what happens to most of those characters anyway.
I care about Atia. Nought to do with the obvious, but she thoroughly deserved her nomination for a Golden Globe award. Polly Walker nearly stole every scene she was in.

As a related aside, has anyone seen HBO's Deadwood? If you don't mind cussing in every sentence (and I mean serious cussing), I highly recommend it. Even the villain, Ian McShane, was likeable.

Same goes for Firefly. It felt like the crew of the ship were some of my best mates by the end.

HBO, my favourite TV company.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Virilis - 02-22-2006

It would have been a "marriage made in heaven" to have the makers of "Soprano`s" to make the "Rome". Soprano`s is by far the best tv-series (also from HBO) in my opinion ever. In fact I think I learn more about the "roman way of thinking" by watching Soprano`s than Rome :wink: ...

Think about James Gandolfini as Varus in the Teutoburg forest...

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Ebusitanus - 03-15-2006

Oh, I´m happy that we finally have some clarity regarding Season 2:

http://www.ciaranhinds.com/

Quote:HBO's Rome
SEASON 2 currently in pre-production
co-starring James Purefoy and Polly Walker
filming starts in Italy, summer 2006.

March 7, 2006: Lots of news today! Ciarán Hinds is set to reprise his role as Caesar in the first episodes of the second season of "Rome" on HBO. There will also be a premiere for "Rome" (season one) in Rome, on March 15th. (beware the Ides of March...)

I also heard that the "Rome" they will air in Italy will be an heavily censored version.