RomanArmyTalk
HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the (/showthread.php?tid=2040)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Robert Vermaat - 03-16-2006

Quote:Ciarán Hinds will reprise his role as Caesar in the first episodes of the 2nd season. Of course, he's dead.....so should be interesting!
Ceasar - back from the dead????? Big Grin

Ciarán Caesar. Always thought it very good stuff to have this Roman'
s Roman being payed by a Celtic actor....

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Robert Vermaat - 04-02-2006

Apparently, Italy does not like 'Rome' very much.. :
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?S ... 2152-3921r

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Theodosius the Great - 04-02-2006

Quote:challenged the historical accuracy of the series, as well as its use of British actors to portray Romans.

Historical accuracy is always a problem. But the part about British actors : I wonder if it's a racial thing or just the fact that they're British. The Brits have done many collaborations with Italy for decades, as the latter has the biggest cinematic industry in all of Europe, so I doubt it's the latter.

I guess they don't go for the Nordic look. But the Northern Italians are also Nordic looking, so what are they talking about ? They want more Sicilian looking actors ?

I agree that would look more authentic, but it sounds like they're just nitpicking. Italy can make their own Roman films. The problem is they always botch it up. It's a shame too since they're probably the most direct heirs to Rome, but they don't seem to embrace their hertitage all that much. Case in point : the buried library at Pompeii with all its books are in imminent danger of being sealed off forever, but the government doesn't fund any emergency excavations. All their Roman treasures are wasting away. Sad
:x
Anyhow, the best film they've made, IMO, is "Constantine and the Cross". But that film may have been a collaboration with another foreign film industry because it had Cornel Wilde in the lead (who could also speak Italian).

I'm not defending the TV series, because I don't care for it myself. But the Italians have only themselve to blame, IMO. They have every resource to make a brilliant Roman film - money, sets, climate, seasoned actors and directors, etc... Now Poland is ahead of Italy with the new film "Quo Vadis" - the best European film on Rome. That speaks volumes.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Luca - 04-03-2006

I agree with you, but let me say that the article contains a lot of things badly wrong. As example they mention "Zelig" as the title of a Wood Allen's movie, but that is a very successful comic tv show I believe similar to "Saturday Night Show", I mean nothing regarding Woody Allen.

The article says italians don't like foreing actors, but the truth is that italians usually prefer american/british actors.

So I believe this article is just a polemic piece.

The critics I'm hearing "around" are the same I have read on the english language forums: too much nudity, violence, etc. nothing more.

The latest I have heard yesterday is one of my friends that told me: "screenplayers were more interested about how romans did sex, than in the politics and in the battles". I agree with them. This very first serie should speak about the Bello Civili, but about the "bello" (war) there is simply nothing. If you read the original book you read about soldiers and battles basically from the beginning to the end, while here it is just a very far background.
We want history not gossip.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Virilis - 04-03-2006

I can honestly say that this "Rome" is a huge paradox; How can something so expensive look so cheap? Sex, violencen nudity etc, BORING, tell me something new! Tinto Brasso made it better in Caligula :wink: .

Also the characters are in my opinion totally lacking charisma and Caesar must be the worst I have ver seen. Sorry about that you "Rome" fans, in my opinion it isn`t even good entertainment...

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Theodosius the Great - 04-03-2006

Quote:I agree with you, but let me say that the article contains a lot of things badly wrong...The article says italians don't like foreing actors, but the truth is that italians usually prefer american/british actors.

Really ? I wonder why that is so :? Is that true even among Italians who don't understand english ?

Well, it would be understandable if they didn't prefer Anglo actors, but to criticize a non-Italian production for having Anglo/American lead-actors just seemed to be going a bit too far. I'm glad it isn't true. Thanks for lettting us know the truth, Luca.

Quote:We want history not gossip.

I like the way "I, Claudius" did it. There was some gossip, but it was mostly history. But I agree with you, pure history is preferable.

Quote:I can honestly say that this "Rome" is a huge paradox; How can something so expensive look so cheap?

Yes, how ? I guess they're paying the actors with huge pay checks. :roll: They're all "unknowns". "Attila" looked less cheap to me and they had third-tier actors (i.e. somewhat known).

Quote:Sex, violencen nudity etc, BORING,

I believe there is such a thing as "too much action" :wink:

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Luca - 04-03-2006

Code:
Really ? I wonder why that is so Confused Is that true even among Italians who don't understand english ?

I don't understand from where this critic comes. Everything here in Italy is "dubbed" in italian language. So none cares about this supposed language issue. First time I heard of.
In Italy we often prefer a very famous american Star to our "small" italian actors. Generally speaking I prefer too american and, overall, british actors.
In Italy we have only few very good actors (2? 3?) compared with the hundreds I admire in english language movies.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Theodosius the Great - 04-03-2006

Quote:I don't understand from where this critic comes. Everything here in Italy is "dubbed" in italian language. So none cares about this supposed language issue.

That's why I thought maybe it wasn't an objection towards language but ethnicity.

Quote:In Italy we often prefer a very famous american Star to our "small" italian actors.

Most of the best actors are "small". Most stars are not actors, IMO. They're just pretty faces. So, if you're hearing a dubbed version, that's a real advantage because you can't tell a good actor from a bad one, IMO.

Quote:In Italy we have only few very good actors (2? 3?) compared with the hundreds I admire in english language movies

No, I'd say both countries are at par in this respect - 2 or 3 sounds about right for the US :lol: I'm understating (slightly)

(Just talking about stars who are also good actors)

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Luca - 04-04-2006

Quote:No, I'd say both countries are at par in this respect - 2 or 3 sounds about right for the US Laughing I'm understating (slightly)

ah ah ah, could be that the big respect to foreign actors is due to our veeeery good dubbers. The big example is the (now dead) dubber of Sylvester Stallone that was so great to make us believing Stallone is a great actor.

Quote:That's why I thought maybe it wasn't an objection towards language but ethnicity.
ouch , yes. I'm not so sure about this ethnicity issue. Blue eyes are relatively common in Italy, overall in the southern Sicily and Puglia regions, while in north only in the north-east. The rest of our country eyes are brown and green mainly.
Blonde hair? Today it is common only in the north, but in ancient times I believe was more common in the greek territories.
Olive skin? Yes this could be the only think pertinent, but let me say the actors in Rome are not so "white".
So I disagree these critics.[/quote]

Rome Returns - Narukami - 04-28-2006

This should come as no surprise to anyone, but just to confirm what we all knew or suspected...

ROME Begins Production of second season

HBO's epic drama series ROMESM has begun production on its ten-episode second season, it was announced by Carolyn Strauss, president, HBO Entertainment. Filming of the new episodes will continue at Rome's Cinecitta Studios through next October, with debut set for 2007.

"This exciting series offers a spectacle unlike anything else on TV," noted Strauss. "The new episodes of ROME will go deeper into the intriguing characters and provocative storylines that made the first season a hit with critics and subscribers."

Chronicling the fall of a republic and the rise of an empire, the first season of ROME wrapped last December. TV Guide hailed it as a "feast for the eyes" and a "ripping good story," as well as a "shamelessly enjoyable historical romp," while the Washington Post described the series as "ravishing and wickedly shocking," and "a feast for the senses that includes generous portions of food for thought." In addition, ROME received two Golden Globe® nominations: Best Television Series - Drama and Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama (Polly Walker).

Now I wonder...

Will this series continue on season after season until we reach Claudius?

Then wil they just fit in the BBC "I Claudius" series? Big Grin

Or update it? :?

With D. Jacobi who would still make a very convincing Emperor Claudius. :wink:

And after that...

How far will this go...? :?:

Narukami

Re: Rome Returns - Robert Vermaat - 04-28-2006

Quote:And after that...
Well, I vote for the Emperor Heraclius as closing episode. Big Grin

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - ambrosius - 05-01-2006

Quote:Anyhow, the best film they've made,
IMO, is "Constantine and the Cross". But that film may have been a
collaboration with another foreign film industry because it had Cornel
Wilde in the lead (who could also speak Italian).

Yes, that's my favourite Italian movie, too. Though it was made so long
ago, now, it is ripe for a remake. Big Grin Come on, Luca, you can suggest
that an Italian production company remake this for the 21st c. 8)

Ambrosius

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - stevesarak - 05-02-2006

At the closing scene, when Caesar marches towards Rome, He orders the music changed to a different melody. That second melody seemed so appropriate for the march. Does anyone know of music similar to that, maybe an entire CD. Not just Roman music but something similar to that tune.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Marius_Ursus - 05-02-2006

Quote:I can honestly say that this "Rome" is a huge paradox; How can something so expensive look so cheap? Sex, violencen nudity etc, BORING, tell me something new! Tinto Brasso made it better in Caligula :wink: .

Also the characters are in my opinion totally lacking charisma and Caesar must be the worst I have ver seen. Sorry about that you "Rome" fans, in my opinion it isn`t even good entertainment...

If you think Cirian is a bad Caesar, you should watch that Christopher Lambert movie about Vercingerorix. That was really...something.

Re: Rome Returns - Marius_Ursus - 05-02-2006

Quote:This should come as no surprise to anyone, but just to confirm what we all knew or suspected...

ROME Begins Production of second season

HBO's epic drama series ROMESM has begun production on its ten-episode second season, it was announced by Carolyn Strauss, president, HBO Entertainment. Filming of the new episodes will continue at Rome's Cinecitta Studios through next October, with debut set for 2007.

"This exciting series offers a spectacle unlike anything else on TV," noted Strauss. "The new episodes of ROME will go deeper into the intriguing characters and provocative storylines that made the first season a hit with critics and subscribers."

Chronicling the fall of a republic and the rise of an empire, the first season of ROME wrapped last December. TV Guide hailed it as a "feast for the eyes" and a "ripping good story," as well as a "shamelessly enjoyable historical romp," while the Washington Post described the series as "ravishing and wickedly shocking," and "a feast for the senses that includes generous portions of food for thought." In addition, ROME received two Golden Globe® nominations: Best Television Series - Drama and Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama (Polly Walker).

Now I wonder...

Will this series continue on season after season until we reach Claudius?

Then wil they just fit in the BBC "I Claudius" series? Big Grin

Or update it? :?

With D. Jacobi who would still make a very convincing Emperor Claudius. :wink:

And after that...

Narukami

I can't wait to see Octavian stomp Antony's guts out all over the place.