RomanArmyTalk
HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the (/showthread.php?tid=2040)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Tarbicus - 06-02-2006

More info on Ars Dimicandi's involvement. I got the gist from a Babelfish translation:

L'esperienza di ArsDimicandi nel serial televisivo americano

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Ebusitanus - 06-05-2006

To bad these Italians hardly drop by here and have no english section for visitors on their forum.

HBO\'s Rome on DVD this August - Narukami - 06-14-2006

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me $100...

So I can buy the DVD of ROME.

Yes, just announced HBO is releasing Season I of Rome on DVD this August for the astounding price of $100. No doubt there will be discounts a plenty at Amazon or Best Buy or Blockbuster etc. etc. etc.

Knowing the "popularity" of this series here I ask that you not purge me -- I am only the messenger.

However...

As I am already out on a limb let me climb out even further by saying I will add this to me collection. I'm a sucker for Sword & Sandal Soap Opera. :wink:

Narukami

Announcement Follows:

Rome: The Complete First Season DVD
Item no: 2282593

Our Price: $99.98

Four hundred years after the founding of the Republic, Rome is the wealthiest city in the world, a cosmopolitan metropolis of one million people; epicenter of a sprawling empire. The Republic was founded on principles of shared power and fierce personal competition, never allowing one man to seize absolute control. But now, those foundations are crumbling, eaten away by corruption and excess.

Release Date: Buy now for shipping by 08/15/2006

After eight years of war, two soldiers, Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo unwittingly become entwined in the historical events of ancient Rome. A serialized drama of love and betrayal, masters and slaves, husbands and wives, ROME chronicles a turbulent era that saw the death of the republic and the birth of an empire.

Features

Format: DVD
ISBN: 0-7831-3599-8
Rating Comments:TV-MA
Number of Discs: 6
Sound Track Language: English
Subtitles: English, Francais, Espanol
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen [16:9 Transfer]
Sound Quality: Espanol: Dolby Surround Stereo 2.0; English: Dolby Surround 5.1; Francais: Dolby Surround Stereo 2.0

Too bad they didn't add Latin Sub-Titles...now that would have been interesting. :wink:

Rome on DVD - Caius Fabius - 06-15-2006

Or you can order it through Amazon
$64.99 instead of $99.

Rome - the complete first season
and a small % will go to support RAT if you use this link.

**edit: easy amazon bbcode had a typo, but only works with books anyways. JO**

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Tarbicus - 06-16-2006

Check out this blog from an historical adviser on the Rome TV series:
RomeHistorian's Blog includes a means of posting comments.

You may want to scroll down a bit to someone's comments on the armour.

There's also an HBO forum for Rome here:
[url:3rnvuwwh]http://boards.hbo.com/category.jspa?categoryID=600000005[/url]

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Narukami - 06-16-2006

Yes, I saw the "Production Blog" and the comments about armor and helmets.

What I thought interesting, or telling, was the lack of an answer or response of any kind from the production team.

:?

Perhaps it is there and I just missed it, but I have a feeling that on such matters the galley has already set sail and "they" would rather not open that issue to discussion.

Of course, I could be wrong. Hope does spring eternal, although in this case I think the spring has run dry.

I'll still watch Season II -- as I said, I'm a push over for a Sword & Sandal Soap Opera. :wink:

Narukami

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Ebusitanus - 06-21-2006

I will keep pestering them on their "Roman Historian" Blog and any help to polish out the most glarring sins is more than welcome from you folks. Now they are still starting second season shooting. We might still put a dent on it if we keep it well written and explained.

http://boards.hbo.com/forum.jspa?forumID=800001151

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - rkmvca1 - 06-22-2006

A noble goal, but keep in mind that all you're doing is posting on the Historian's blog. He's probably quite low on the Production totem pole, and will not appreciate anonymous people whose qualifications he has no idea of, telling him aspects of the show are "atrocious". Neither will higher-ups on the totem pole.

Remember that Rome is a show that has made an effort to be historically accurate in quite a few ways (or else the soldiers would be in loricae, for example), and that some consultant, somewhere, actually told them that leather muscle cuirasses are plausible (who is this benighted person), and probably their Indian vendor did not have Montefino helmets in stock, and told them there wasn't much difference. Why should they believe you instead of their consultant and vendors?

So, I'd be as polite as possible and to stay focused on what this group is supposed to be expert on: arms and armor. But as Narukami said, they probably have all their armor already ordered/produced and are not about to revamp at this late time.

Good luck,

rkmvca/Rich Klein

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Tarbicus - 06-23-2006

There's a lot of stuff on that forum about how cute Kevin McKidd is, and bring back Niobe (can't disagree with that). The post about how wrong the armour is was greeted with lots of derision.

Maybe try posting links to how a legionary actually looked at the time. But I think the general fans there will just see bits of metal, and "ripply" body armour with "things" on the shoulders.

But it might be interesting to not argue, but simply post the links with the message "Hey, look at this! Seriously cool photos of what they really looked like! Imagine K Mac wearing this fab outfit!" "Why is he not wearing this fantabulous helmet?!!!!!!!!"

But then again......

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 06-23-2006

The nude scenes were the most accurate..........

the rest was awful, except for some buildings....

not to mention the distortion of history and the events that really happened......

:evil:

when will hey do it right for a change?

PS for those of you who still want it at home:

http://www.torrentspy.com

just type Rome into the search engine.......

M.VIB.M.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Ebusitanus - 07-17-2006

HBO has informed the public that the season being filmed now in Italy (2) till October will the last of this show. Airing of it is to be expected in January 2007. Cry

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Narukami - 07-17-2006

Only two seasons? :?

That is a surprise.

One can guess that the popularity of the show is not covering the cost of production.

Or...

HBO and the show's "creative" team do not want to do a third season and cover the same territory as was presented in the BBC series "I Claudius." Too bad -- I was hoping we would get to see Derrick Jacobi reprise his role as Emperor Claudius.

I wonder...

Are even bad films about Rome better than no films about Rome?

Yes, some of the offerings from the past few years’ do stretch that concept to the breaking point, but for all of its faults, HBO's Rome had its moments.

I can hear some of you out there howling for my head, daring to make such a statement -- what can I say? As I have admitted before, I am an easy mark for a Sword & Sandal Soap Opera. :oops: Tongue wink:

Narukami

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Ebusitanus - 07-17-2006

I agree with you. The show took big historical liberties and was surely not it could have been given that astronomic initial budget but damnation...are we now to wait another 30 years for someone to give it another go at this era?

But then, when you see HBO dropping Deadwood too, with all its success , then well...its clear this channel has other priorities now.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - petrinus - 07-24-2006

how does one get an acting job with a series like that, you people any of you have contacts in the industry? even if i was a dying foot soldier, im down!

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Tarbicus - 07-24-2006

Quote:But then, when you see HBO dropping Deadwood too, with all its success , then well...its clear this channel has other priorities now.
Glad to see another fan of Deadwood - the best TV seen in many years Big Grin (