RomanArmyTalk
HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the (/showthread.php?tid=2040)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - RUBICON - 11-02-2006

oh before everyone starts advising me when stirrups eventuated...I know Big Grin D D

I loved ALEXANDER!

Movies are getting more spectacular and with the advent of special effects, we are starting to relive epic battles as if we are there.

I agree about bulk buying from Depeeka....maybe they dont know they exist...like any business they tend to use suppliers they know and trust.

As for actors complaining...well that is a big issue...too heavy..too hot...blah blah...for $30,000,000 a movie I would wear a chcicken outfit under my segmentata...sorry die hard purists.....(Rubicon hides behind his scutum)

Just for the records...I could watch Gladiator, ROME and Alexander all day everyday!

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Narukami - 11-02-2006

Amazing what one can find on E-bay. Confusedhock: :roll:

Actually, I had a photo on my wall at work, from Rome of Vorinus and his troops in battle. Yes, at least the crest is transverse, so points to them for doing that.

HBO ran a short preview of Rome II, but I could not tell just how far they are going to take the story. Death of Brutus -- yes. Death of Antony? -- ?

They say this will be the last season, but then again if history serves, Hollywood seems incapable of saying no to a sequel. So, if II is a hit perhaps there will be a III.

As already pointed out, it is all about the Benjamins. Big Grin

Narukami

My guess is the love child of Varienus's wife grows to become an enemy of Rome!

The conclusion is like the scene in Star Wars, where reveals he is his illegimate son!

Pompey ISNT really dead and comes back like they all do in Bold & the Beautiful.

What do you think?

Wow im throwing in some great televison resources now!

Big Grin D

Titus Pulo and Vorinus are actually brothers from different mothers.

Great Caesar's Ghost makes a regular appearance in every episode commenting on the action and giving us back story.

Caesar's son by Cleopatra (which is to say Pulo's son) saves his father & uncle at Actium (shades of kid Anakin destroying the Droid Command Ship in EP-I) and lives with them in retirement.

And Derek Jacobi reprises his role as Claudius.

Or is it Roddy McDowell who reprises his role as Caesar...

:?

Narukami

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Tarbicus - 11-02-2006

Quote:The helmet at Toldeo is a fake? Confusedhock: A pity that people would stoop so low as to try to flood the world of research and history with...well, junk.
Hi Saul, it's a bit more complicated than that, but apparently both parties had no reason to believe it was fake at that time.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Niedel - 11-02-2006

Quote:At least ROME depicted the transverse crested helmet which if I recall has neveer been done before?

Transverse crests have been depicted several times in TV or movie productions before, including "I Claudius" (and even in Life of Brian, if I'm not wrong) in the 70s, "Asterix and Obelix vs. Caesar" in the 90s etc.

Quote:
Quote:At least ROME depicted the transverse crested helmet which if I recall has never been done before?

Transverse crests have been depicted several times in TV or movie productions before, including "I Claudius" (and even in Life of Brian, if I'm not wrong) in the 70s, "Asterix and Obelix vs. Caesar" in the 90s etc.

Yes indeed. Smile

I believe it was Macro who wore a transverse crest on his helmet in "I Claudius" but I'm not sure anyone did in "Life of Brian."

They kept referring to John Cleese's character as a Centurion, and his helmet did have a crest but running front to back. Perhaps there was another character with a transverse crest, but I do not remember.

Narukami

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - SOCL - 11-02-2006

I assume that ROME II will go from where it is now to where Octavian is named Augustus, which is what most people call the beginning of the Imperial Period. I don't remember anything saying that they'll pick up exactly where they left off, so it's possible that the story will pick up sometime into the civil war with Brutus, with an introduction rather akin to the one they used at the beginning of story--you know, "setting the stage" and all.

Wow I when I mentioned HBO Rome being used for hostorical correctness for its depiction of Troop rotation in another thread, I never thought Life Of Brian would ever be used as a resource point!

I love these forums Big Grin

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Niedel - 11-02-2006

Quote:I believe it was Macro who wore a transverse crest on his helmet in "I Claudius" but I'm not sure anyone did in "Life of Brian."

They kept referring to John Cleese's character as a Centurion, and his helmet did have a crest but running front to back. Perhaps there was another character with a transverse crest, but I do not remember

I might be wrong about Life of Brian because a lot of the costumes were the same ones as the ones in I Claudius (at least some of which also were used for Charlton Heston's "Anthony and Cleo" and FOTRE, if I'm not wrong).
On a different note, just saw the trailer of a new ancient flick, "The Nativity Story" (coming out in December, I think). Looks like Ciaran Hinds (Caesar from Rome) plays Herod in that one. The featurettes on the website have the same blabla about how authentic (=drab and dirty) everything is, etc. Of course, the romans wear leather segs and the same helmets that Cinecitta has reused over and over again through Zeffirelli's "Jesus of Nazareth" all the way back to the 60s "Constantino Il Grande/Constantine the Great". Nothing ever changes.

Here's a link:
[url:38jbdlyr]http://www.thenativitystory.com/[/url]

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Narukami - 11-03-2006

Yes, I saw the trailer for this film last week and although the Romans flash by quickly it was clear these were "Hollywood Romans" even if from Italy. The photos on their web site confirm it. (Wow, Aquilifer on horseback -- perhaps I am ill informed but that is news to me. :? oops:

Oh well...

As for where/when Rome II picks up, you are quite right Catalonius, we need not assume it must start at the very moment at which the first season ended. As to if they will make it to Actium or not, I'm not sure they have it in their budget to stage a large naval battle. In their preview they did mention that Philippi was the largest battle they had ever staged, but then again they may be saving Actium as a surprise.

As always, time will tell.

:wink:

Narukami

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - RUBICON - 11-03-2006

Now that would be a sight to behold - a naval battle at Actium! maybe we will see a roman war vessel with an outboard?

My guess is, Pulo & Varinus will see Augustus come to power and those two chosen to be by his side with Pulo re instated into the Praetoruan Guard headed by Vorienus unless Vorienus is given an outpost in Gaul...maybe Vorienus heads out with Pulo and is part of Varus's legion?

Seriously, the options are endless...is there not a trailer out?

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - RUBICON - 11-03-2006

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Roman-Imperial-b ... dZViewItem

Just to dIgress....is anyone able to access this item? Seems to be offering an authentic roman helmet. I cant open it. If true, seems cheap, last helmet I saw offered by Christie's was in excess of $500,000?

I can see the small picture but access denied due to "my country's trade restriction????

Anyone help?