RomanArmyTalk
HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the (/showthread.php?tid=2040)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

HBO Rome -- A Battle At Last... - Narukami - 02-12-2007

Just finished watching the latest episode of Rome, of which there is little to say.

However...

The previews indicate that we might actually see a battle as it happens rather than, as is usually the case, see the preparation and the aftermath only.

Can not say how realistic nor how authentic the battle will be (based upon the brief bits in the preview) and I am not expecting a ILM state-of-the-art CGI extravaganza, but I am optimistic... Well, as much as I can be given this series' past performance.

I do hope members of this forum will watch and then chime in on what they saw -- what HBO got right and what HBO got wrong.

Also...

Please correct me if I am wrong on this, but I keep seeing the legion eagle being carried on horseback. (Not just on Rome but other films as well.) I did not think this happened, or if it ever did it was most uncommon. Perhaps someone in the group mind can weigh in and let me know. :? ? wink:

Narukami

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - SOCL - 02-12-2007

On a related note, did anyone else notice cross braces on the helmets of Brutus and Cassius legionaries? Same basic helmet used throughout the series, but with a cross-brace that resembles those of the Italtic variant of helmets...
Also, round shields, though still metallic, spotted in Antony's camp, though there doesn't seem to be any clear distinction for why. Rather the same situation as the sudden appearance of segmentatas among Octavian's soldiers, though not completely outfitted as such.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 02-13-2007

I think overall some of the equipment is improving. They seem to be trying at least and deserve laudes for that. I was wondering if anyone noticed the large medallion on Anthony's musculata in the latest episode?
I wonder if it is Julius?Didn't get a real good look and it goes by quickly.
For those wanting a battle it looks as if next week the 2nd trimuverate(?) will come to grips with Brutus and Cassius.Not sure how much will actually be seen but from previews the battle lines look impressive.
I recently heard a quote from(I believe) Famous director Zanuk."Accuracy without drama is boring". Perhaps explains why there's more "soap" than warfare.This is,after all,meant for public consumption.

(I know,I know--what accuracy?)

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Felix Agrippa - 02-13-2007

The only thing that really bothers me about their equipment is their off duty tunics with the big eagles on them, they remind me of WW 2 German athletic shirts.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 02-13-2007

I think these were meant to be their undertunics,like wearing a t-shirt.
I'm sorry but I like them and previous posts here show I'm not alone.
I think the tunicae worn by all are probably better than most tv/movie ones. When Vorenus was named senator or was it Tribune(BTW-what happened to that?) he didn't suddenly have better clothes,but crude fabric with clavii sewn on rather than woven. Poorer Romans who wanted nicer looking stuff made do in trying to copy their betters. There's a post here somewhere about poor man's purple. I digress.sorry.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Carus Andiae - 02-13-2007

Quote:I recently heard a quote from(I believe) Famous director Zanuk."Accuracy without drama is boring". Perhaps explains why there's more "soap" than warfare.This is,after all,meant for public consumption.

It has to be said that you could tidy up many of the innaccuracies (equipment and so on) without affecting the drama.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Narukami - 02-13-2007

Quote:
Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs:2unetzfr Wrote:I recently heard a quote from(I believe) Famous director Zanuk."Accuracy without drama is boring". Perhaps explains why there's more "soap" than warfare.This is,after all,meant for public consumption.

It has to be said that you could tidy up many of the inaccuracies (equipment and so on) without affecting the drama.

Indeed so -- Look at Zanuck's own "The Longest Day" where he went to great lengths for authenticity's sake. In many ways I find it a far more satisfying film than "Pvt Ryan" but perhaps that is a sign of my age.

Narukami

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Tarbicus - 02-13-2007

Quote:I think these were meant to be their undertunics,like wearing a t-shirt.
I'm sorry but I like them and previous posts here show I'm not alone.
I'd like to see a depiction showing any animal on a tunic from the period. Sorry, but I absolutely hate them.
Quote:Poorer Romans who wanted nicer looking stuff made do in trying to copy their betters.
Given that the textile industry was so widespread I don't see why almost all clothing, much of it spun in one piece, wouldn't be of high quality and made to last.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Gaius_Calvus - 02-14-2007

Jim,

I'm with you -- especially since they are an almost exact duplicate of the rank insignia of a Colonel in the US Army (I am wearing it now) -- look it up.

Sorry, but I had to work a long time for mine -- and agree that it is inaccurate (they had invented screen printing by then?) and a cheap rip-off of an important symbol.
:evil:

Edge

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Robert Vermaat - 02-14-2007

Quote:The only thing that really bothers me about their equipment is their off duty tunics with the big eagles on them, they remind me of WW 2 German athletic shirts.

Yes, awful. :evil:

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - SOCL - 02-14-2007

I'm with Andy in saying they look cool, but from a historical perspective, I'm not fond of them at all. I would certainly like to have one, maybe to use as a t-shirt, just for fun. :lol:

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Gaius_Calvus - 02-14-2007

Saul,

Join the Army, get a commission, work hard, and wait 23 years. :wink:

Edge

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 02-14-2007

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yup,that's all there is to it.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 02-14-2007

Ok,OK,I take it back. But I know I remember somebody last year said they liked the tunic.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Publius Nonius Severus - 02-15-2007

I have to say that one thing that has pleasantly shocked me was was that they are using the correct shade of "purple" for the togae praetextae and the equestrian and senatorial tunicas. It's refreshing to see tyrian purple (dark reddish-purple) being portrayed rather than more generic violet/purple so often incorrectly associated with roman clothing (not to say that Romans didn't wear lighter shades or purple, merely that is incorrect for the clothing items mentioned above).

-Severus