RomanArmyTalk
HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the (/showthread.php?tid=2040)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - SOCL - 02-20-2007

Quote:I wouldn't be surprised if they make it to Actium from here. It seems that they pass time rather quickly from episode to episode...
Probably the only pleasant surprise from the battle (besides actually seeing a battle in this series) was when the 1st rank switched backward with the second as the centurion blew the whistle after their 8 minutes fighting. They pulled that off pretty convincingly before the scene devolved into a huge confused and disorganized melee.
Rather how they did in the series' only other substantial battle in the opening minutes of Season 1. Of course, then it was a little less chaotic and far less messy. Here it seemed the legionaries really were peeing their pants.

Quote:Is this the last season? I believe T. Flavius Crispus said it was.
According to HBO's Chairman and CEO, it is: http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-romee ... -headlines

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Narukami - 02-20-2007

I too think this ends at Actium. Yes, that is covering a lot of ground in a short time, but that has been one of the few consistent aspects of this series. It is possible, I guess, that they might extend the series, but frankly that seems most unlikely, and I certainly do not think they would take it beyond Actium -- that would put them into I Claudius territory and I doubt they want to go there.

The real question is, if Actium does prove to be the end point, just what (and who) they choose to leave out of the story.

The battle with Sextus for Sicily
The battle with Lepidus for Sicily
Antony's Parthian disaster (well not disaster perhaps, but a failure none the less)
Octavian's war in Illyricum

And the list goes on...

As always, time will tell.

:wink:

Narukami

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - SOCL - 02-20-2007

Quote:I too think this ends at Actium. Yes, that is covering a lot of ground in a short time, but that has been one of the few consistent aspects of this series. It is possible, I guess, that they might extend the series, but frankly that seems most unlikely, and I certainly do not think they would take it beyond Actium -- that would put them into I Claudius territory and I doubt they want to go there.

The real question is, if Actium does prove to be the end point, just what (and who) they choose to leave out of the story.

The battle with Sextus for Sicily
The battle with Lepidus for Sicily
Antony's Parthian disaster (well not disaster perhaps, but a failure none the less)
Octavian's war in Illyricum

And the list goes on...

As always, time will tell.

Narukami
Well, they left out the war in Hispania against Pompey's brat, and instead developed some idiot named Sextus Valerius Pompey to be Pompey's son who played an absolutely useless role. If they do go Actium, then its full speed ahead and damned be the rest of history. Heck, I was surprised they included Hirtius and Pansa, if only in name and deeds alone.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 02-20-2007

Saul,You'll be pleased to know that the advancing legion was indeed
LEGXI Ferrata. I saw it plainly on the vexillum in the re-run on Monday(last)night.I'm so hooked I watch almost every re-run even though I record them all.

Given the pace of the series I wouldn't be surprised if they make it all the way to Augustus' ascention.Only six shows down so far and I would think only half way through.Last season had 13 episodes.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Gaius_Calvus - 02-20-2007

Well, the actual term is "Full-Bird" Colonel, not "Full Bird-Dog" Colonel, and yes, the insignia of an eagle is the origin of the term "Full-Bird" Colonel to distinguish it from Lieutenant Colonel, since officers of both ranks are addressed as and referred to simply as "Colonel" in conversation.

Edge

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Niedel - 02-20-2007

This season only has 10 episodes, so there are only 4 left. I don't know how they can make it all the way to Actium, but I fear they will somehow. In the previews/little docs they showed Antony carousing with Cleo, so I wouldn't be surprised if they jump straight to Egypt and then Actium. Of course, first we have to deal with Servilia and some other blasted course or something like that, plus Vorenus' mafia problems. I'm getting kind of tired of all that. And what does the Timon/Jewish side story have to do with anything? Sometimes I just don't understand these movie/tv makers [sigh].

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Narukami - 02-21-2007

Indeed, to make it all the way to Actium in 4 episodes is going to be history at the speed of light (so to speak) and yet Actium really does seem like the logical place at which to end this season.

Yes, the Jewish Zealot thread makes me wonder where this is going...

Perhaps the producers are considering a spin-off series that will lead us to the Jewish Wars of the 60's ending with the destruction of the Temple and Masada. On second thought that does seem a bit far fetched, even for HBO. :?

Narukami

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - SOCL - 02-21-2007

Quote:Indeed, to make it all the way to Actium in 4 episodes is going to be history at the speed of light (so to speak) and yet Actium really does seem like the logical place at which to end this season.

Yes, the Jewish Zealot thread makes me wonder where this is going...

Perhaps the producers are considering a spin-off series that will lead us to the Jewish Wars of the 60's ending with the destruction of the Temple and Masada. On second thought that does seem a bit far fetched, even for HBO. :?

Narukami
Actium does seem like the logical end and keeping it as a smaller or side fight as compared to Phillipi is keeping consistent with this series. For instance, the only major fight sequence before this was the battle in Gaul in the first episode, followed by Pharsalus, the latter being less dramatic (as it really didn't show anything) than the former. If this is to be considered a pattern, then if Actium is included, it will be something more to do with the implications of the battle (before and after) rather than the battle itself. Indeed, this series is a drama and, as shown in the last episode, combat is not its forte as it can come across rather awkward. Maybe it's just me, but during the battle the only person who acted without it seeming forced as Antony, and his was a part of blood lust and arrogance. Everyone else's parts, to me, seemed rather forced.

Plus, I'm worried how they would handle an military engagement at sea on the scale of Actium. It might come across rather flimsy with bad CGI graphics, like when they showed the Greek fleet approaching Asia Minor in Troy.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Ebusitanus - 02-21-2007

I read a while back that the only major battle to be despicted would be Philipi so I have no hopes for Actium. But then I was also of the impression that the high water mark of this season would be actually this battle and the end of Brutus and Cassius.

Those bronze segmentatas were also quite weird and caught me by surprise at first. But then, without going into the model of it, we know that Segmentata were build now way before thought. Civil war era or even Cantabrian war is now the idea. Perhaps it was the Brutus and Cassius eastern legions which first brought it to the west.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-21-2007

Quote:Well, the actual term is "Full-Bird" Colonel, not "Full Bird-Dog" Colonel, and yes, the insignia of an eagle is the origin of the term "Full-Bird" Colonel to distinguish it from Lieutenant Colonel, since officers of both ranks are addressed as and referred to simply as "Colonel" in conversation.

Edge

:oops: Well, I was close! Been a while since I have read any modern history!
And I know what comes next, Excuses are like *&^#$#&s,
everyone has one! :lol:

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - SOCL - 02-21-2007

Quote:Those bronze segmentatas were also quite weird and caught me by surprise at first. But then, without going into the model of it, we know that Segmentata were build now way before thought. Civil war era or even Cantabrian war is now the idea. Perhaps it was the Brutus and Cassius eastern legions which first brought it to the west.
I believe it was exclusively Octavian's legions who had them in the series.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 02-21-2007

Niedel wrote:
[/quote]This season only has 10 episodes, so there are only 4 left.

OK, maybe you have some inside information,but that doesn't keep them from having a special 2 hour finale.Maybe a lot of loose ends can be wrapped up then.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Narukami - 02-24-2007

Greetings.

A question for the Group Mind...

In last week's episode Cicero, and his friend, were playing a board game in his garden.

Is that a authentic Roman game or just a bit of made-up business to do while waiting for the sword to fall, so to speak?

If it is a real game do the rules still exist or have they been lost?

Thanks.

Narukami

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Publius Nonius Severus - 02-25-2007

Narukami-

I haven't seen the episode yet so I cannot speak as to how authentic it was, but the Romans did play a variety of board games. Here is a link to a page with quite a few including descriptions:

Roman Board Games

-Severus

re: pila - rkmvca1 - 02-25-2007

Actually, at the 46:49 point you do see a pilum come crashing right through a scutum and skewering some poor fellow in the face. But we don't see who threw it, and there definitely was no organized pilum volley.

Perhaps pilum volleys are too difficult to get actors to perform and don't film well, which is why we don't see them. Certainly they are Roman Army 101, every technical director and historical consultant has to know about them, and it doesn't make sense to omit them otherwise?

rkmvca/rich klein