RomanArmyTalk
HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the (/showthread.php?tid=2040)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

A roman whistle - Neuraleanus - 08-30-2005

:?

[url:pugkoevc]http://www.canterburytrust.co.uk/schools/gallery/gall07al.htm[/url]
But, it looks nothing like a modern police whistle.

Draco? - Arthes - 08-30-2005

Greetings,
I do not have television so hopefully if nobody will record this, I will have to wait until the dvd comes out.
On the site Behind the Scenes-Rome Revealed, Rome Loves a Winner, I spotted a legionary standing with what looks like the Draco. I did not think they used it in the time of Julius Caesar or is it the Dacian wolf standard.? http://www.hbo.com/rome/behind/rome_revealed/rome.html
Go to Rome Loves a Winner, Artifacts, Images, last picture on bottom row.....
Regards
Arthes

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Arrian - 08-31-2005

Did they throw their pila? Please tell me they threw their pila.
I'll forgive them just about anything as long as I get to see a proper pila volley.

Did they have any kind of meaningfull battle- line?

Does anybody know when this show will be availiable outside the US?

_ Magnus HÃ¥kenstad
Consvl Legio Xv (norway)

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - John M McDermott - 08-31-2005

No, they did not throw their pila. The producers apparently forgot all about pila. The centurions had nifty transverse crests and they did some sort of shuffle on the command of the centurion. Also, the Romans absorbed the wild attack of the Gauls with their shields, then quickly executed thrusts. It was a mixed bag.

Re: Draco? - Robert Vermaat - 08-31-2005

Quote:I spotted a legionary standing with what looks like the Draco. I did not think they used it in the time of Julius Caesar or is it the Dacian wolf standard.?
Nope, it's a draco alright, and a biggy! :evil:
Of course they did not have one in 50BC, that would take about two more centuries before the cavalry first adopted it for their games.

Now, they do show a statue of the she-wolf, without the little sucking babies! Big Grin

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Arthes - 09-01-2005

Quote:The pictures are from this page:
[url:2pgoea4a]http://deadwoodstage.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=romespoilers&action=display&thread=1116896535[/url]
Now I have seen these I have to say it....all lined up on the steps shouldering what looks like some early machine gun at first glance.....or are they collapsable pool cues.... :lol: !!!
Thought I recognised him....[url:2pgoea4a]http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=romekevinmckiddraystevenson4el.jpg[/url] not not Dagonet, the other one, is also in The Last Legion...
Regards
Arthes

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - A_Volpe - 09-02-2005

I can't wait to see it, I don't have HBO so someone is kindly taping it for me.

When it comes to Consultants and Accuracy, I'm having to remind myself to keep in mind the Consultant and Historians who may be part of the production will be advising on what really is acceptable, but ultimately the final descion comes down to the Producer(s), they have the money and the Ego to uphold. There are also, I'm sure, "corrupt" 'consultants' about, being really Yes Men to the Producers and Costume department.

At least they acknowledged Hammata to be used. It's one small step in the right direction.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Arthes - 09-02-2005

Greetings,
For some of us, watching a televison series or film set in a period they have a fair bit of knowledge about, can be very annoying and frustrating and yes, disappointing (Lot more fun sometimes when you know a little but not enough to ruin your enjoyment.....and then are totally embarrased by someone saying...'but that helm was too late for.....' and 'those shields are 200 years out of date' when you enthuse... Confusedhock: :oops: :lol: )
Bearing in mind, the target audience is always thought to want the hero to look good and the heroine to be pretty and scantily clad at times (admit it guys..!) even if it was not the truth or the fashion...!
I agree that sometimes 'consultants' may be totally clued up on the historical aspect, but don't know a segmata from a hamata...and bluff their way through on the principle that the average viewer will think all Romans looked like, well Romans....you know the guys with the big square shields, shiny armour and helmets (all with red crests if you are lucky) :lol:
Regards
Arthes

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Gordak - 09-04-2005

Ive been recording "Rome" with my DVD recorder, and I noticed the recording is comming out Extemely Dark. Does anyone else have this problem??

It looks like the old macrovision anti-recording protection. Im going to try to find a way around it tonight.
-Gordak

Old-fashioned VHS tape recording works fine - Neuraleanus - 09-04-2005

Big Grin I'm taping the show after the cable box onto VHS tape from the analog stream. They can't mess up the analog.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Gordak - 09-05-2005

ohhhhhh yes they can...

Macrovision is from the late 1970s, its not digital, go check your recordings, they should look darker and less detailed, than the brodcast.

I compared it, its not horrible, but will make you want to buy the dvd set.

Macrovision is a signal that makes your vcr try to compensate for extreme contrast. In the old days the picture would go from light to dark over and over again. Now it seems to just remain dark and slightly blurry.

-Gordak

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Anonymous - 09-06-2005

Did anyone watch this week's episode? It was fabulous, even better than the first one. I'm very impressed with this series.

Sure there are inaccuracies, but I'm much more interested in their creating dramatic scenes and good characters than them having exactly the right armor or whatever.

So far they've done an outstanding job of making Rome feel more "real" -- the city actually being colorful (as opposed to everything being bleached white), focusing on lower class characters and areas, actually showing the "weird" stuff (the taurobolium in the first episode, for example, and slaves watching while their masters had sex).

Only thing is, I wish they had set it in a different period than the fall of the Republic. Everybody does that and everybody already knows the story by heart. Oh, how I wish they had picked the reign of a later emperor, particularly in the 3rd century. Would've given them a lot more artistic freedom too. But at least they've shown that they have something new to bring to this particular story. Would be nice to focus a little more on the soldiers... Caesar and Pompey are boring in comparison. Pollo is such an awesome character so far.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - John M McDermott - 09-06-2005

The Romans had all the fun.

However, I get the impression from reading ancient texts that public nudity was offensive. By the time of the empire, the public was used to spectacle, but not in the Republic. Octavian was quite a moralist.

The clothing is all chintz. However, they did break one barrier, which is the hamata. That simply has never been done before, so we all ought to be thankful. The Trajanic helmets and braccae are out of place though. They just can't get away from drab colors for legionary clothing, however. Why not a camoflauge pattern? That ought to satisfy our modern cravings for grubby soldiers.

I don't think the story of the dying days of the Republic has ever been told with any attempt at being comprehensive before. Everyone thinks the Romans always had emperors and that Julius Caesar was the first emperor, which is hogwash. Even Octavian did not consider himself an emperor.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Niedel - 09-06-2005

Just saw episodes 2 and 3, and I think it's definitely getting better. Nitty gritty street scenes, interesting issues (like returning to your wife after 8 years of war), etc. I think Atia is a little overdone, I guess they're trying to make her into an I Claudius-style Livia with sex thrown in, but all in all I like it.

Re: HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the - Arrian - 09-09-2005

One interesting thing is that this show is planned as a long- running series, meaning that if it does well (makes money), we might be seing seasons 2 and maybe even 3.
As the first season spans eight? years and covers some big changes in roman society, more seasons would mean the oppurtunity for the makers to show real development and contuinuity, both in characters, society and, maybe, (for those of us who incline that way) even roman military life and equipment.
I think this series, for all its faults, shows real promise and potential, and if more episodes are on the make, it should be considered a work in progress, wich could, possibly, (okay, probably not), be influenced by the well- meaning advice of dedicated wiewers (that's us, you know).
I hope that it becomes a huge commercial success, making it financially viable for a it to run as long as, say, sopranos, or even better, Days of our lives. Or maybe inspiring similar efforts from other producers. To that end, I will do my part by buying the DVD as christmas presents for all my friends.