RomanArmyTalk
Quiz - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Quiz (/showthread.php?tid=21140)

Re: Quiz - caiusbeerquitius - 08-28-2012

What are on the tabula peutingeriana the eastern and western neighbours of this site, what is the name of this site on the tabula peutingeriana, and how many Roman miles does the tabula name as distance to the two neighbour sites?

Re: Quiz - caiusbeerquitius - 08-28-2012

What are on the tabula peutingeriana the eastern and western neighbours of this site, what is the name of this site on the tabula peutingeriana, and how many Roman miles does the tabula name as distance to the two neighbour sites?

[Image: IMG_4670.jpg]

Re: Quiz - D B Campbell - 08-28-2012

Quote:what is the name of this site on the tabula peutingeriana, and how many Roman miles does the tabula name as distance to the two neighbour sites?
My goodness this is a complicated one!

First, the combination of Jupitersäule and reconstructed turret cries out Römerpark Köngen to me. (A site that, I regret, I have never visited.) If I am correct, Kastell Köngen on the Neckar Limes was known as Grinario. And second, on the Peutinger Table, Grinario is flanked by Clarenna (Kastell Donnstetten) and Sumelocenna (?Rottenburg), which lie xxii (22) miles in either direction.

Of course, I might be entirely wrong! :wink:

Re: Quiz - caiusbeerquitius - 08-29-2012

Almost correct... almost... :grin:
One detail needs correction.

Re: Quiz - Robert Vermaat - 08-29-2012

Quote:Almost correct... almost... :grin:
One detail needs correction.
One detail?
Grinario being written as Grinarione on the map?
Or Sumelocenna being written as Samulocenna or something on the map?
Or that the map actually shows no figure for the distance between Grinario and Clarenna (which makes this a trick question)?

Re: Quiz - caiusbeerquitius - 08-30-2012

Hmmm... the second XXII is disputable, but it seems it is correct, so both would be valid, a "none" and a "XXII". No, it was the "Grinarione"...
Quote:what is the name of this site on the tabula peutingeriana
What to do now? I´d say it´s Duncan´s turn, if you don´t mind, Robert?

Re: Quiz - Robert Vermaat - 08-31-2012

Your call entirely Christian - I'd say both the names on the map vary with what we know, and that second 'xii' is definately missing.. :wink:

Let me know who you decide upon! :mrgreen:

Re: Quiz - Jona Lendering - 09-01-2012

Well, since Duncan does not immediately post a photo, I think I will post a photo that he might have uploaded. People with access to facebook can find the original on Duncan's page.

[attachment=5107]duncan.jpg[/attachment]

Where is this? Why does our dear Duncan like this so much?

Re: Quiz - D B Campbell - 09-01-2012

Quote:Well, since Duncan does not immediately post a photo ...
I was dutifully awaiting our colleague Christian's arbitration on whether my identification of his photo was sufficient to "win the round", or whether Robert's supplementary information clinched it for him.

By all means have a go at that photo. And good luck! I should say that I selected it, only because it is nice and wide and seems to suit Facebook's new landscape format!

Quiz - caiusbeerquitius - 09-04-2012

Sorry folks, was in Trier the last four days...
I´d say let´s leave it like this, and give the next "undecided" to Robert.

Re: Quiz - jvrjenivs - 09-04-2012

Quote:Where is this? Why does our dear Duncan like this so much?

Well, then it almost should be somewhere along the Antonine wall? Don't know where, though.

Re: Quiz - D B Campbell - 09-04-2012

Quote:Well, then it almost should be somewhere along the Antonine wall?
With sunshine?! (Of course, the sun occasionally shines on the Antonine Wall. But this is not it, Jurjen.)

Re: Quiz - Jona Lendering - 09-05-2012

Quote:
Jvrjenivs post=319822 Wrote:Well, then it almost should be somewhere along the Antonine wall?
With sunshine?! (Of course, the sun occasionally shines on the Antonine Wall. But this is not it, Jurjen.)
And there's not enough sun to make this Albufeira. D-mn, this is a tough one.

Quiz - PhilusEstilius - 09-05-2012

Well it's not Sycamore Gap for that is on Hadrian's Wall with an overcast sky sadly, a nicer tree of course.
[attachment=5137]5190155121_5a11145914_z1Small.jpg[/attachment]

Re: Quiz - D B Campbell - 09-05-2012

Quote:And there's not enough sun to make this Albufeira.
I will never understand Facebook. My sister visited Albufeira, so -- for some mysterious reason -- it appears as one of my favourite places?!