RomanArmyTalk
Quiz - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Quiz (/showthread.php?tid=21140)

Quiz - Jona Lendering - 09-05-2012

Wow, those colors! Almost surreal.

Quiz - D B Campbell - 09-05-2012

Quote:Wow, those colors! Almost surreal.
I suspect Brian's photo has been doctored in some way.

Quote:Well it's not Sycamore Gap for that is on Hadrian's Wall ...
You are, at least, on the correct frontier, Brian. And if you can narrow the location down a little more, I will consider passing the baton to you!

Re: Quiz - philsidnell - 09-05-2012

The land walls of Constantinople?

Phil

Quiz - PhilusEstilius - 09-06-2012

Duncan.

Thank you for a clue and can it be part of what we now know as the Vallum but just where with those buildings behind the trees and in fact I am interested in your avatar.

Quiz - D B Campbell - 09-06-2012

Quote:can it be part of what we now know as the Vallum ...
Not the vallum, Brian. It's a wee bit further north than the vallum!

Quote:in fact I am interested in your avatar.
My avatar photo, by coincidence, was taken not too far west of the mystery location, which is actually quite well known.

Quiz - Jona Lendering - 09-06-2012

Quote:
PhilusEstilius post=319994 Wrote:in fact I am interested in your avatar.
My avatar photo, by coincidence, was taken not too far west of the mystery location, which is actually quite well known.
I have been looking at the photos a friend of mine took some time ago on Hadrian's wall, but it may be Chesters or Housesteads or Walltown Crags... I confess that those stone structures look all the same to me (I was never there myself).

Quiz - D B Campbell - 09-07-2012

Quote:I confess that those stone structures look all the same to me.
Heresy! :wink:

In the interests of moving the quiz along ... here's a giant clue: a different view of my avatar.
[attachment=5147]Avatar.jpg[/attachment]
Now, march a little to the east ...

Quiz - PhilusEstilius - 09-07-2012

Duncan.

I think it may well be Hadrian's Wall ditch near Poltros Burn Milecastle, the milecastle that helped partly determine the height of Hadrians Wall.

Quiz - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-07-2012

Is it Ardoch?

Quote:Is it Ardoch?
:lol:

Quote:I think it may well be Hadrian's Wall ditch near Poltross Burn Milecastle.
Bingo! According to my new favourite guidebook to Hadrian's Wall, this is "one of the finest – possibly even breathtaking (if you are inclined to having your breath taken) – sections of Wall ditch". Quite so.

I hope you have a quiz photo, Brian.

Quiz - PhilusEstilius - 09-07-2012

I do indeed have a picture but it should be a bit of an easy one.
[attachment=5148]5823477159_19cfb333351.jpg[/attachment]

Quiz - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-07-2012

Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar post=320098 Wrote:Is it Ardoch?

Hmmm, such mocking replies...I read your post after the photo, saying it was quite far North..... :evil:

Well Done Brian.

Quote:Hmmm, such mocking replies...I read your post after the photo, saying it was quite far North..... :evil:
Sorry, Byron -- I thought you were joking! I said "a wee bit further north", not a flippin' hundred miles further north. :wink:

Quiz - Flavivs Aetivs - 09-07-2012

Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar post=320098 Wrote:Is it Ardoch?

Quote:I think it may well be Hadrian's Wall ditch near Poltross Burn Milecastle.
Bingo! According to my new favourite guidebook to Hadrian's Wall, this is "one of the finest – possibly even breathtaking (if you are inclined to having your breath taken) – sections of Wall ditch". Quite so.

Lol, kind of contradictory. "This is a great photo of - is that a ditch? What the heck?"

Never knew there was so much interest in ditches.

Quiz - Kegluneq - 09-07-2012

Quote:Never knew there was so much interest in ditches.
Welcome to Roman frontier studies...