RomanArmyTalk
Quiz - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Quiz (/showthread.php?tid=21140)

Quiz - Jona Lendering - 10-03-2012

We appear to be in an impasse, because no one has been asking questions for quite some time. With apologies to Ildar, who had the prerogative to pose a question, I upload this photo. Deliberately easy, certainly for those who know where I´ve been.

[attachment=5329]2_2012-10-03.jpg[/attachment]

Quiz - Ildar - 10-04-2012

I do apologize for delaying with the post — had to much going on. Thank you, Jona, for keeping the thread going!

Quiz - Jona Lendering - 10-05-2012

[attachment=5329]2_2012-10-03.jpg[/attachment][/quote]
Here is a clue: this photo is a mausoleum in one of the main Roman bases along the northern frontier. There are only half a dozen, so that shouldn't be too difficult.

Quiz - Tormenta - 10-05-2012

I believe to know the answer(it starts with a V and is in a country that start with S), but unfortunately at the moment I don't have a picture prepared in case I was right Tongue ....

Maybe my suggestion is useful for someone else...

Yup, that's correct. So, who will score?

Quiz - M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 10-05-2012

Well, now it is so easy that even I can answer - Viminacium in Serbia.

Quote:Viminacium in Serbia.
Yup. Your turn.

The mausoleum is interesting because the bones have been found of a young man, who may be the emperor Hostilian, who succumbed to the plague in this city. An old woman was buried next to him; she may be Herennia. The bones are now being investigated, and perhaps the scientists can confirm that, for the first time, we have the bones of a Roman emperor.

What is this building and where is it?

[attachment=5344]IMG_1766.JPG[/attachment]

Quiz - D B Campbell - 10-05-2012

Quote:What is this building and where is it?
Reminds me of the principia at Novae (Svishtov, Bulgaria).

Quote:... a mausoleum in one of the main Roman bases along the northern frontier.
Thank you, Jona. It is difficult to get an impression of scale, without the human figure. Are the railings around the edge standard-sized (1m or so high)? In that case, the structure must be very impressive.

Quote:It is difficult to get an impression of scale, without the human figure. Are the railings around the edge standard-sized (1m or so high)? In that case, the structure must be very impressive.
It is about 20x20 meters.

Quiz - Vindex - 10-05-2012

Quote:
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER post=322072 Wrote:What is this building and where is it?
Reminds me of the principia at Novae (Svishtov, Bulgaria).

If it's not the principia, is it the hospital?

Quote:
D B Campbell post=322079 Wrote:Reminds me of the principia at Novae (Svishtov, Bulgaria).

If it's not the principia, is it the hospital?

Correct - this is the valetudinarium in the legionary fortress at Novae. Here is a link with more views and a reconstruction. Your turn!

Quote:If it's not the principia, is it the hospital?
Aha! The column bases threw me! Still ... now we get a Moi photo! Smile

Quiz - Vindex - 10-05-2012

T Shirt over the head runs round the room in victory <trips over coffee table and barks shins>

Back in a mo! Wink