RomanArmyTalk
Quiz - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Quiz (/showthread.php?tid=21140)

Quiz - D B Campbell - 10-30-2012

Quote:Mountains look like Antiochia Pisidia... ?
Well done, Nathan! You'd got it before I even saw the photo! :woot:

Quote:- if the location's right, it could be inscription AE 1967, 00495
Just on a point of information, it certainly seems to be part of AE 1967, 495 ...
[attachment=5630]AE1967-495.jpg[/attachment]
... although (according to AE 1999,1611) that fragment is supposedly now lost.
[attachment=5631]AE1999-1611.jpg[/attachment]
Very confusing!

Quiz - D B Campbell - 11-03-2012

Quote:Where is it, and what (supposedly) did it use to be?
It looks like a Roman principia, with the gates of the basilica bricked up. I don't think I've ever seen such a thing. We're probably going to need a clue. :dizzy:

Quiz - Jona Lendering - 11-03-2012

Quote:We're probably going to need a clue. :dizzy:
Yup.

Quiz - Nathan Ross - 11-03-2012

OK then!

Only the central part of the structure is Roman, and it's been much altered. The two-storey wing on the left has been demolished since the photo was taken.

But it's in Italy, close to the site of a very famous battle...

Enough clues yet? ;-)

Quiz - D B Campbell - 11-03-2012

Quote:Enough clues yet? ;-)
Is the (illegible) writing along the top significant? Or would that give the game away?

Quiz - Nathan Ross - 11-03-2012

Quote:Is the (illegible) writing along the top significant? Or would that give the game away?

Erm, no - unless you can somehow make it legible and it tells you the location! (I actually didn't notice it myself...)

Today's clues:

The original Roman structure was not a house, nor was it intended for accommodation...

The nearby battle was of great importance in world history...

Quiz - Nathan Ross - 11-05-2012

Still no ideas? :whistle:

OK, here's what the structure looks like today:

[attachment=5661]Untitled2.jpg[/attachment]

And another clue - it's on a major road, close to Rome...

Quiz - Jona Lendering - 11-05-2012

That must refer to the VIa Flaminia and the battle of the Milvian Bridge, 1700 years ago when you posted that. Still, no clue about that building... :-?

MALBORGHETTO!!!

Quiz - Nathan Ross - 11-05-2012

Quote:MALBORGHETTO!!!

Yes! Well done Jona. :-)

This is indeed the remains of the Arch of Malborghetto, a quadrifrons arch on the Via Flaminia, at the thirteenth milestone north of Rome, dating from the early 4th century. In the middle ages it was converted into a church and later a fortified farmhouse. Nowadays it houses a small museum and a park with Roman finds from the vicinity.

[Image: 50440547.jpg]

The arch possibly commemorated the site of Constantine's last encampment before the battle of Milvian Bridge. Later Church history suggested that this was the place where he saw his vision/had his dream (depending on the version you favour) instructing him to adopt the chi-rho emblem.

Others have suggested, more prosaically, that the arch marked the boundary of the jurisdiction of the urban magistrates under the tetrarchy...

Anyway - over to you, Jona!

Quiz - D B Campbell - 11-05-2012

Quote:MALBORGHETTO!!!
Hallelujah! I could see that it's a tetrapylon, but I've never even heard of Malborghetto. :dizzy: Well done, Jona.

I now remember, I used to be often in that part of Rome; there's a camping site at Due Ponti. My girlfriend and I once walked from Malborghetto to the Milvian Bridge and beyond, and I told her everything I knew about the Roman emperors. Those were the days.

The new question will not be too difficult.

[attachment=5662]1_2012-11-04.JPG[/attachment]

Quiz - Vindex - 11-05-2012

Quote: ... but I've never even heard of Malborghetto. :dizzy: Well done, Jona.

Makes me feel better then... :wink:

Quiz - Jona Lendering - 11-06-2012

Hey, I thought this one was pretty simple. So let me add that it's in a city north of the Alps.

Quiz - D B Campbell - 11-06-2012

Quote:Hey, I thought this one was pretty simple.
Looks a bit like Autun (Augustodunum)?