RomanArmyTalk
Quiz - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Quiz (/showthread.php?tid=21140)

Quiz - Nathan Ross - 01-04-2013

I'm sure I've seen that bottom one somewhere - on a book cover?

My first guess was Zeugma, with the excavation being special as the site was about to be flooded behind a dam. Mosaics now at Gaziantep.

But... Beirut? 5th century? I guess not then! :whistle:

Quiz - M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 01-04-2013

They are at the Beiteddine palace and were brought from the excavated churches at Jieh/Porphyreon. What is special? Maybe the connection with the prophet Jonah?

Quiz - Jona Lendering - 01-04-2013

Quote:They are at the Beiteddine palace and were brought from the excavated churches at Jieh/Porphyreon. What is special? Maybe the connection with the prophet Jonah?
Yep, that's the good answer. They were indeed found in Jieh, ancient Porphyreon, and brought to the Beiteddin palace.

The remarkable thing about them is that they were discovered during the Civil War. One of the two sides fighting in Jieh, the Druzes, had a leader, Walid Jumblatt, who has a sincere interest in history, and he ordered his men to save the mosaics and bring them to the stables of the Beiteddin palace. Of course there is an element of PR involved: Jumblatt liked to pose as a philosopher, who was not waging war because he liked to. Nevertheless, he managed to save the mosaics.

Over to you, Alexander.

This stela furnished an important piece of evidence for discussion of a certain type of people in the context of a certain book of the New Testament. It was found at a very well known site.

Question - where was this stela found? A bonus question - name the New Testament book and the type of people (only counts if you answer the first question 8) ).

[attachment=6202]IMG_6761.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=6203]IMG_6746.JPG[/attachment]

This stela furnished an important piece of evidence for discussion of a certain type of people in the context of a certain book of the New Testament. It was found at a very well known site.

Question - where was this stela found? A bonus question - name the New Testament book and the type of people (only counts if you answer the first question 8) ).

[attachment=6204]1_2013-01-04.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6205]IMG_6746_2013-01-04.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=6206]1_2013-01-04-2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6207]IMG_6746_2013-01-04-2.JPG[/attachment]

Quiz - caiusbeerquitius - 01-04-2013

Aphrodisias? Proselytes? Mt, 23.15?
This is what we see:

καὶ ὅσοι θεοσεβῖς · Ζήνων βουλ(ευτής)
Τέρτυλλος βουλ(ευτής) · ∆ιογένης βουλ(ευτής)
̓Ονήσιμος βουλ(ευτής) · Ζήνων Λονγι(ανοῦ) βουλ(ευτής)
Ἀντιπέος βουλ(ευτής) · Ἀντίοχος βουλ(ευτής)
̔Ρωμανὸς βουλ(ευτής) · Ἀπονήριος βουλ(ευτής)
Εὐπίθιος πορφυρ(ᾶς) · Στρατήγιος
Ξάνθος, · Ξάνθος Ξάνθου
Ἀπονήριος Ἀπον(ηρίου) · ̔Υψικλῆς Μελ(?)
Πολυχρόνιος Ξάν(θου) · Ἀθηνίων Αἰ(λιανοῦ)
Καλλίμορφος Καλ(λιμόρφου) · ΙΟΥΝΒΑΛΟΣ
Τυχικὸς Τυχι(κοῦ) · Γληγόριος Τυχι(κοῦ)
Πολυχρόνιος βελ(?) · Χρύσιππος

Aphrodisias is correct!

The term I had in mind was gentile “God fearers” - the θεοσεβῖς (θεοσεβής) in the inscription. The book of Acts refers to Gentiles fearing God using φοβούμενος τὀν θεόν (Acts 10:2, 22, 35 and 13:16, 26); σεβούμενοι τὀν θεόν (Acts 16:14 and 18:7), σεβούμενοι (Acts 13:50; 17:17), σεβούμενοι προσήλυτοι (Acts 13:43, so yes, they could include proselytes), and σεβούμενοι Ἓλληνες (Acts 17:4). The inscription is important because it attests to the gentile θεοσεβής in the context of a Jewish synagogue. In the book of Acts, Paul often encounters Gentiles in synagogues, who could have belonged to such a group. BTW, centurion Cornelius and his household from the story of the birth of the first Gentile Christian church is also referred to as fearing God, φοβούμενος τὀν θεόν.

Very well done, Christian, over to you.

[attachment=6208]IMG_6680.JPG[/attachment]

Quiz - caiusbeerquitius - 01-04-2013

Thanks! :-D

An easy one: Who made this drawing, for whom, and where?

[attachment=6210]Kngen.jpg[/attachment]

Quiz - Flavivs Aetivs - 01-04-2013

A google search of "Roman Depictions of the dead" didn't yield anything, so I got nothing, besides that it appears to be depicting slain warriors for the most part.

3rd century Manuscript maybe?

Quiz - Longovicium - 01-04-2013

Hmmm, for some reason I am thinking Bosporus, 19th century, and a Russian Czar but the details elude me if I am correct!

Quiz - Jona Lendering - 01-05-2013

Quote:Thanks! :-D
An easy one: Who made this drawing, for whom, and where?
It is from Hallstatt, and I think (but I am not sure) that it was made for the Austrian emperor Franz Joseph and his wife Elisabeth. The drawing may have been made by Georg Ramsauer, but I am not sure about that. Perhaps Eberhard Fraas?

Quiz - caiusbeerquitius - 01-05-2013

You are close, Jona!
Hallstatt is correct. But... who made the painting? For whom?

Quiz - D B Campbell - 01-05-2013

Quote:But... who made the painting? For whom?
Wikipedia says that it was an unknown local artist, but a little searching reveals that it was Isidor Engel. For the archaeologist Johann Georg Ramsauer.

Thank you, Jona, for making the identification. I had never seen these watercolours, but I am glad I have now -- they are wonderful.
[attachment=6214]Engel-Ramsauer_1878.jpg[/attachment]

Quiz - caiusbeerquitius - 01-05-2013

Over to you, Duncan :-D