RomanArmyTalk
Quiz - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Quiz (/showthread.php?tid=21140)

Re: Quiz - Manius Acilius Italicus - 08-05-2012

Teutoburg Forest?

Re: Quiz - Ildar - 08-05-2012

Quote:Here´s a more difficult one, I think :-)

Reste eines römischen Amphitheaters beim ehem. Kastell Hammerschmiede © Astrodoc 2008 Tongue

Re: Quiz - caiusbeerquitius - 08-05-2012

Yes, it is the Dambach "Numeruskastell"´s small Amphitheatre. :-)
The description you provide in the link is wrong, though, there is no "Kastell Hammerschmiede"...
There is a similar find from Künzing:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kastell_Künzing
and, of course, Zugmantel (Nathan was very close) :-)

Re: Quiz - Kegluneq - 08-05-2012

Quote:
caiusbeerquitius post=317643 Wrote:Here´s a more difficult one, I think :-)

Reste eines römischen Amphitheaters beim ehem. Kastell Hammerschmiede © Astrodoc 2008 Tongue
Google image search? If so, tut tut! (I tried that with an earlier image but couldn't find a caption for the photograph. Deeply ashamed...)

Re: Quiz - Manius Acilius Italicus - 08-05-2012

My helmet is off to those who recognized this photo as an "amphitheatre", where there is not more than a ridge with trees. It was a dead ringer for a photo of an area I found of the Teutoburg Forest. Good job Robert.

Re: Quiz - Nathan Ross - 08-06-2012

Over to Ildar then, I think... :-)

Re: Quiz - Ildar - 08-07-2012

Quote:Yes, it is the Dambach "Numeruskastell"´s small Amphitheatre. :-)
The description you provide in the link is wrong, though, there is no "Kastell Hammerschmiede"...

I did not provide the description — the author of the photograph did. The author also supplied the coordinates and pointed the spot in Google Maps. Indeed, Dambach is nearby, about 2-3 km, but a place under the address of "Hammerschmiede 51, 91725 Ehingen, Bayern" is even closer.

Quote:Google image search? If so, tut tut!

Just Google search. There were some hints as well — blurry remnants of the copyright in the bottom right corner of the photograph, the number in the name of the file (16448893.jpg; this is the ID of the photograph in the "Panoramio" service), and, finally, the term "amphitheatre" (thank you, Nathan).

Quote:Over to Ildar then, I think... :-)

Ok, even though Christian did not pass me the turn, I will submit the next simple question for the quiz. What is behind these towers?

[attachment=4803]1.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=4804]2.jpg[/attachment]

Re: Quiz - caiusbeerquitius - 08-07-2012

Quote:caiusbeerquitius wrote:

Yes, it is the Dambach "Numeruskastell"´s small Amphitheatre.

I did not provide the description — the author of the photograph did. The author also supplied the coordinates and pointed the spot in Google Maps. Indeed, Dambach is nearby, about 2-3 km, but a place under the address of "Hammerschmiede 51, 91725 Ehingen, Bayern" is even closer.

Robert Matthew wrote:

Google image search? If so, tut tut!

Just Google search. There were some hints as well — blurry remnants of the copyright in the bottom right corner of the photograph, the number in the name of the file (16448893.jpg; this is the ID of the photograph in the "Panoramio" service), and, finally, the term "amphitheatre" (thank you, Nathan).
Hm. I think you didn´t get the idea of the game. I didn´t think this this was supposed to be an internet-picture-search. The "Hammerschmiede" is a street name nearby, named a a factory that stood close by. The site is "Kastell Dambach". But, whatever. Nice pics you have there.

Quote:Ok, even though Christian did not pass me the turn
I thought a "yes" was enough. Sorry.

Re: Quiz - Jona Lendering - 08-07-2012

Quote:What is behind these towers?
That's the theater of Bosra in Syria, isn't it?

Re: Quiz - Ildar - 08-07-2012

Quote:That's the theater of Bosra in Syria, isn't it?

Yes. Over to you, Jona!

[attachment=4809]3.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=4810]4.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=4811]5.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=4812]6.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=4813]7.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=4814]8.jpg[/attachment]

Photographs: Alexey Kozlenko © 2007

[attachment=4815]google-map.jpg[/attachment]

Re: Quiz - Vindex - 08-07-2012

Great thread Jona - I'm learning lots. Big Grin

Re: Quiz - Jona Lendering - 08-07-2012

Quote:Great thread Jona - I'm learning lots. Big Grin
I had not expected it would be this nice.

Well, here's the next question. A famous battlefield. Good luck!
[attachment=4817]1.JPG[/attachment]

Re: Quiz - Kegluneq - 08-07-2012

Thermopylae?

Re: Quiz - Nathan Ross - 08-07-2012

Actium (Preveza)?

Re: Quiz - Robert Vermaat - 08-07-2012

Salamis?