RomanArmyTalk
Quiz - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Quiz (/showthread.php?tid=21140)

Quiz - Nathan Ross - 07-26-2013

Not exactly a bridge, no - the arch actually supports the wall of the acropolis above where it crosses a deep road cutting - the real gate is in a fortified outwork on the far side of the picture. Despite this, the arch is called in Italian porta...

Enough clues yet? ;-)

(incidentally, is anyone else having difficulties getting new posts on this thread to load? I have to click 'reply' to read what others are saying...)

Quiz - M. Caecilius - 07-26-2013

In re: getting new posts to load... I was wondering whether my memory was going, since I was ready to swear I had asked if this was a bridge, and yet could find no post of mine. So I tried to actually ask the question, and saw that I had already done so. In other words... I get the same problem as you.

As for the photograph... Cumae?

Quiz - Nathan Ross - 07-29-2013

Quote:Cumae?

Nope! Keep going south some way...

Extra clue: the site was the birthplace of a couple of famous philosophers, and a school of philosophy was named after it.

Quiz - Jona Lendering - 07-31-2013

Well, that's no longer a clue, that's explaining everything all the way. It's Velia/Elea. And this must be the viaduct called Porta Rosa. Nice Wikipedia article here.

Quiz - Nathan Ross - 07-31-2013

Quote:It's Velia/Elea.

It is! Well done Jona, over to you again...

Quiz - Jona Lendering - 08-01-2013

OK, here is is: obviously not an ancient site, although it has a lot to do with Antiquity. But what and where is it?

[attachment=7720]Knipsel.jpg[/attachment]

Quiz - Flavivs Aetivs - 08-01-2013

I'm going to assume the "Knipsel.jpg" the mouse gives when hovering over the image is wrong.

Knipsel is a Dutch word for a photo or a piece of text you have cut out of, for example, a newspaper. Or a clipping from a Google Earth photo

Knipsel is a Dutch word for a photo or a piece of text you have cut out of, for example, a newspaper. Or a clipping from a Google Earth photo

Quiz - caiusbeerquitius - 08-01-2013

Glyptothek, München, Königsplatz. In the court is the best cafe in Town, I think. Quiet, best Ambiente.

Quiz - Jona Lendering - 08-02-2013

Yup. And a splendid museum it is, look!

Over to you Christian, I sort of expected that you would be the first to identify it. ;-)

Quiz - caiusbeerquitius - 08-02-2013

What and where? :-)
[attachment=7722]IMG_0166.JPG[/attachment]
:

Quiz - Flavivs Aetivs - 08-02-2013

Roman Gatehouse.... There's a second wall in the background so I want to say Theodosian Walls in Constantinople.

Quiz - caiusbeerquitius - 08-03-2013

Nope.

Quiz - caiusbeerquitius - 08-10-2013

Hint:
It was part of a larger structure.