RomanArmyTalk
Quiz - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Quiz (/showthread.php?tid=21140)

Re: Quiz - Robert Vermaat - 08-21-2012

Quote:Anyway - once more over to Jona... Confusedmile:
C'mon Jona, delve into that vast archive of yours - don't keep us waiting!!

Re: Quiz - Jona Lendering - 08-22-2012

I think Duncan was the first to realize it. But here's a new one, and I hope Duncan can win it. Caracalla has been building something. Partly illegible, fortunately, because otherwise you would be able to read the place name.

[attachment=4993]1_2012-08-21.jpg[/attachment]

Re: Quiz - D B Campbell - 08-22-2012

Quote:... I hope Duncan can win it.
No pressure, then. Confusedhock:

Quote:Caracalla has been building something.
I suppose the short answer must be "a road", although -- being unfamiliar with the locale -- I do not know whether, in building it, Caracalla could really be said to have "threatened the mountains" (montibus inminentibus) and "vanquished the River Lycus" (caesis fluminis Lyco) ... if I have read it correctly. (It is late, and it wouldn't be the first time that a glass of wine has interfered with my Latin translation skills. :wink: )

The reading is correct, so that narrows it to: where is the river?

Re: Quiz - Nathan Ross - 08-22-2012

Quote:it wouldn't be the first time that a glass of wine has interfered with my Latin translation skills.
It doesn't seem to have interfered with your ability to read extremely small and blurred text though. I doubt I could have deciphered that if it'd been written in plain English!

Re: Quiz - D B Campbell - 08-22-2012

Quote:where is the river?
The inscription calls it flumen Lycus, the River Lycus ("wolf river"). Dessau (ILS 5865) places it prope Berytum, Byblum versus, ad ostia fluvii Nahr-el-Kelb, in rupe ad viam, "near Beirut, opposite Byblus, at the mouth of the River Nahr-el-Kelb, on the cliff by the road". I shall have to take his word for it!

Quote:It doesn't seem to have interfered with your ability to read extremely small and blurred text
Sometimes wine helps with small and blurred text! :wink:

Yep. Duncan is right. The Nahr al-Kalb has some twenty inscription of armies passing along. You can see them here.

Over to you Duncan.

Re: Quiz - D B Campbell - 08-23-2012

Quote:Over to you Duncan.
How well do you know your famous ancient sculptures? Here's a detail. Who is it?
[attachment=5019]5a.jpg[/attachment]

Re: Quiz - Thersites - 08-23-2012

Talking about Caracalla and Commodus... Big Grin Now the second one posing as Hercules

Re: Quiz - Jona Lendering - 08-23-2012

You seem to be right Fernando.

If you look at a detail like that, you can see how exquisite it is.

Re: Quiz - D B Campbell - 08-23-2012

Quote:Commodus ... posing as Hercules
That was fast, Fernando. I thought you might need a second detail of his curly beard! Now ... what tricky Iberian photo do you have for us? :wink:

Re: Quiz - Thersites - 08-23-2012

An easy one, I believe, when you identify the iconography... but fact is I -almost- found it! Smile

BTW, Close to lifesize

Re: Quiz - Jona Lendering - 08-24-2012

It looks like the god Hypnos or Morpheus, but where it's been excavated? I don't know.

Re: Quiz - Thersites - 08-24-2012

Indeed it's Hypnos. Very few have been found in bronze that are almost life-size. This one is almost complete and comes from Hispania. I dug part of that site some decades ago, I left because of other commitments at University... and the sculpture was found in a rescue excavation the following year... pity!

Re: Quiz - D B Campbell - 08-24-2012

Quote:An easy one, I believe, ...
Er, no!

Quote:It looks like the god Hypnos ...
Well done, Jona -- I would never have guessed that. :oops: