RomanArmyTalk
the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem (/showthread.php?tid=24375)

Pages: 1 2

the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - Gunthamund Hasding - 10-22-2014

I found this today and I have a question
http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php/archives/10/2014/inscription-dedicated-to-emperor-hadrian-uncovered-in-Jerusalem

unfortunately no clear pic of it

it seems that the legion is called:
the 10th legion Fretensis – Antoniniana

quite intriguing name for an Hadrianic period
I think is an late addition possibly Caracalla?

the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - D B Campbell - 10-22-2014

Quote:I think is an late addition possibly Caracalla?
Agreed. Those restoring the (apparently Hadrianic) text have been overzealous. I cannot read anything beyond [F]reten[sis].

the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - Petertimber - 10-23-2014

I am seeking confirmation that the 10th Legion stationed in Britain was withdrawn along with Dutch Units to be sent to Jerusalem to augment soldiers there for the Jewish Wars (?) and sent to Rome to be reconstituted before continuing to Jerusalem with army veterans and families granted lands in Abruzzo (Cafus brothers Senators were advocates for this Roman G.I. benefit). Capital of Abruzzo region named AQUILA (Eagle, Roman Eagle on standards). Seeling to validate hearsay as justification for obvious Nordic coloration of current population in that region...blond,, redhead, blue and green eyes etc. [email protected]

the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - Gunthamund Hasding - 10-25-2014

better look at theLANGOBARDI descendance I would say, they come north enough

the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - Petertimber - 11-01-2014

Gentlemen: I am very interested in knowing whether there were two twin Roman Senators whose surname CAFUS related to a Roman Senatorial family on or about the time of the settlement of British Roman veterans of the 10th Roman Legion Fretensis-Antoniniana in the Italian Region of Abruzzo around the destruction of the Second Temple (70AD) and prior to the Kokhba revolt in 132-136 AD).

I an interested in knowing since there is an anecdotal component to these historic events surrounding the British legionaiire veterans and their families settling in Abruzzo while the 10th Legion Fretensis wasbeing reconstituted in Italy before being shipped out to Jerusalem, Thank You Peter ([email protected] Yonkers, NY)

Ref: http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/10/2014

the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - Nathan Ross - 11-01-2014

Quote:two twin Roman Senators whose surname CAFUS related to a Roman Senatorial family

This doesn't sound like a Roman name, and I've never heard of any senators with a cognomen like that. The closest might be the Jewish priest, Caiaphus, perhaps?

Quote:the settlement of British Roman veterans of the 10th Roman Legion Fretensis-Antoniniana in the Italian Region of Abruzzo

X Fretensis had been based in the east (Syria, then Jerusalem) since the 1st century BC, and it's highly unlikely the legion included any Romano-Britons. In any case, the practice of settling veterans on land in Italy (and of demobilising legions en masse) had ended after the civil wars of the 30s BC.

Incidentally, 'Antoniniana' refers either to the emperor Caracalla or Elagabalus. The inscription from Jerusalem apparently has both titles, but the second seems to have been added in a different hand at a later date.

Quote:the 10th Legion Fretensis was being reconstituted in Italy before being shipped out to Jerusalem

Where are you getting this idea? Imperial legions were not periodically 'reconstituted', and very few troops were raised in Italy after the 1st century AD.

the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - Renatus - 11-01-2014

Quote:I am seeking confirmation that the 10th Legion stationed in Britain was withdrawn along with Dutch Units to be sent to Jerusalem to augment soldiers there for the Jewish Wars (?) and sent to Rome to be reconstituted before continuing to Jerusalem with army veterans and families granted lands in Abruzzo (Cafus brothers Senators were advocates for this Roman G.I. benefit). Capital of Abruzzo region named AQUILA (Eagle, Roman Eagle on standards).
You have mentioned these matters in other threads recently but I think that we really need to know where you are finding your information before we can make any meaningful comments.

Ave Mr Hasding,Ross and Renatu. Thank you for your prompt reply. My inquiry about resettlement of the 10th Fretensis Legionnaires is based upon legend and being an unusual action on the part of the Roman Army to beef up the legions in Jerusalem since Hadrians cross island wall was nearing or completed and there was a shortage of troops on Jerusalem. That in of itself is unusual even for me who lacks any knowledge about the RA worth mentioning. It seemed probable that there might have been an unusual settlement of RA veterans in the very mountainous area of Abruzzo to beef up that area that was then devoid of population or development. I am still reading the London Univ. PhD dissertation The Settlement of Veterans in the Roman Empire by J.C. Mann.lso remember reading about the Irish conscripts who joined the RA in Briton and learned about army training and due to loose discipline managed to go to and from from Ireland at will for their own purposes and that the situation became so bad that Rome sent their Commanders from Rome to restore order and once in England decided to march the "bad guys" legion and legionnaires to Spain for permanent reassignment in that place. So it did not seem improbable that they would also clean house as it were and remove the Xth legion to Jerusalem and resettle the vast empty tracts of the Apennine Mountains with veterans and their famkilies while marching back to Rome and Jerusalem. Amen and Thank You. Peter timber (petertimber@msn,.com) Yonkers, NY

the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - Nathan Ross - 11-01-2014

Quote:resettlement of the 10th Fretensis Legionnaires... since Hadrians cross island wall was nearing or completed

Stil not sure where you're getting this from! Was it in a novel or something? X Fretensis were never based in Britain, so there was no need to 'resettle' them anywhere. You might be thinking of the governor of Britain, Julius Severus, who was sent to by Hadrian take command in Palestine during the Bar Kochba revolt.

Quote:It seemed probable that there might have been an unusual settlement of RA veterans in the very mountainous area of Abruzzo

Why would this be? Mass veteran settlement was a Republican practice; under the empire legions were standing formations and were not disbanded and settled together. (Stephen Dando-Collins thinks otherwise; he is pretty certainly wrong).

Quote:Irish conscripts who joined the RA in Briton ... march the "bad guys" legion and legionnaires to Spain for permanent reassignment in that place... remove the Xth legion to Jerusalem... while marching back to Rome and Jerusalem.

Ireland (Hibernia) was never part of the empire, and legionaries needed to be citizens, so there were never any Irish 'conscripts' in the Roman army.

I don't know of any legions sent from Britain to Spain: VI Victrix was once based in Spain, before moving to Germany and then to Britain in Hadrian's era. IX Hispana was presumably in Spain at some early date, and later in Britain.

X Fretensis was based in Jerusalem itself after AD70, so there would be no need to 'remove' it there. Imperial legions did not march back to Rome - they remained in (usually) permanent garrison on the frontiers, often remaining in the same place for centuries. Detachments of various legions were often sent from one frontier to another to participate in campaigns, and sometimes entire legions were reassigned in this way, but they did not travel via Rome.

#361154 When I read that the Governor of Britain, Julius Severus who was sent to Palestine during the Kochba revolt don't you think he might have assembled a Legion (I won't even bring up Legion numbers at this point) of British Legionaires and their families some of whom may have been eligible for settlement in Abruzzo while others suitable for combat in Palestine? I recall reading somewhere (where???)) that the Romans appreciated the Dutch for their combative excellence , particularly in swampy and waterborne areas and also recruited them to go along with this made-up unit legion to augment the army in Palestine. Bear in mind when I say marched to Rome I mean the soldiers and the veterans and their families all journeyed to Italy and Abruzzo. not ROME City proper and all led by Governor Jjulius Severus who just kept on marching to Jerusalem.
The Irish conscripts were not conscripted in England THEY ROWED OVER and then joined the legion(s) having heard about the good pay and weaponry. Further it was this constant awol of the irish recruits rowing back to Ireland whenever they wished. I don';t know when this occurred but I read about the tales of these two Irish Roman brothers who rowed over to join the Romans and then after a time fled back to serve their local irish chieftains to train their own tribes. There was much tension with these irish and local "shenanigans" and the Centurions who led them were unable to keep order (ALLEGEDLY). Rome got wind of this loose behavior and sent Roman troops to Ireland to round up the AWOL and marched the legion/batch of them to Spain for permanent assignment so the tale went. Even the British Army had rules and regulation which were not obeyed!!!!! Did it ever occur to anyone that despite all the rules and regulation policies and procedures even the ROMANS deviated so anything is possible if it is not recorded. Thank you for your patience. There are still thousands of blue and green eyed blondes and red heads walking the Abruzzo region this very day not knowing their descendants were English and Dutch.

the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - ChrisZeichmann - 11-04-2014

I keep looking for information about this online, but can't find anything, not even the original publication that Clermont-Ganneau did a century ago. Has anyone found the Latin text online?

This was the most helpful link I have found: http://www.ritmeyer.com/2014/10/21/inscription-dedicated-to-hadrian-found-in-jerusalem/comment-page-1/

the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - Nathan Ross - 11-04-2014

The two parts of this inscription are listed as CIIP-01-02, 00715. You can look it up on Clauss Slaby by typing that into the 'publication' field. Their version of the text is as follows:

Imp(eratori) Cae[sari divi Traiani] / Parthic(i) [f(ilio) divi Nerv]ae nep(oti) / Traiano [Hadri]ano August(o) / pont(ifici) ma[x(imo)] trib(unicia) pot(estate) XIIII / c[o(n)s(uli)] III p(atri) p(atriae) / l[eg(io) X F]reten[sis Antoninia]na{e}

As you can see, the last word is reconstructed from the final 'na' (!!) - I've seen other transcriptions that mention that this word was apparently added in a different hand, presumably later.

However, as Duncan mentions above, the actual inscriptions seem only to have the 'reten' part of the legion title. I don't know if the rest is too faint to be seen on the photograph...

[Image: %24CIIP-01-02_00715.jpg]

[Image: %24CIIP-01-02_00715_1.jpg]

the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - ChrisZeichmann - 11-06-2014

Thanks so much, Nathan! I'll have to grab the library's copy of CIIP and take a closer look there.

I swear I had downloaded four very high quality photographs of the inscription, but cannot seem to find them now. I will keep looking.

the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - Gunthamund Hasding - 11-06-2014

Thanks Nathan
I understand the limits actually only after reading this

RE: the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - Petertimber - 08-12-2017

why am I unable to bring up on screen the following website http://www.17-roman-military-history-a-archeology/323706-the-10th-legion-fretensis-antoniniana-in-jerusalem/reply/36086.html   ???