RomanArmyTalk
Roman cavalry on Hadrian\'s Wall - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Roman cavalry on Hadrian\'s Wall (/showthread.php?tid=24608)

Roman cavalry on Hadrian\'s Wall - mcbishop - 01-05-2015

A funding bid has been submitted to bring a major exhibition on Roman cavalry to the museums along Hadrian's Wall in 2017.

'There would also be an associated events programme across the 11 museums. This would include re-enactment events, public talks and a community engagement and learning programme animated by a variety of creative artists - writers, poets, visual and performance artists.'

So there you go: your chance to see the Cantabricus enacted through the medium of mime, dance, and hooky matting ;-)

Mike Bishop

Roman cavalry on Hadrian\'s Wall - PhilusEstilius - 01-05-2015

Mike
That sounds just great and will of course help to maybe show off some of my horse chamfrons not only on the wall but also the similar one to the Vindolanda from Trimontium at Melrose in Scotland, and no dought there may also be riders who will show off the Straubing replicas in action.

Roman cavalry on Hadrian\'s Wall - Vindex - 01-05-2015

Sounds absolutely fabulous Smile May even have a decent saddle by then LOL!

Roman cavalry on Hadrian\'s Wall - jvrjenivs - 01-06-2015

Quote:Mike
That sounds just great and will of course help to maybe show off some of my horse chamfrons not only on the wall but also the similar one to the Vindolanda from Trimontium at Melrose in Scotland, and no dought there may also be riders who will show off the Straubing replicas in action.

Will have to start on Straubing equipment then.... LOL
Would love to join the UK forces with our riders.

Roman cavalry on Hadrian\'s Wall - PhilusEstilius - 01-06-2015

Jurjen.
I'm sure this is one of the guys you may well see at such events and he played a part in the Varus Battle film shown on TV a few times, the helmet is my own creation made up from a few very well known others.
[attachment=11471]_MG_2225-EditMedium.jpg[/attachment]

Roman cavalry on Hadrian\'s Wall - PhilusEstilius - 01-06-2015

Jurjen.
I'm sure this is one of the guys you may well see at such events and he played a part in the Varus Battle film shown on TV a few times, the helmet is my own creation made up from a few very well known others.

Roman cavalry on Hadrian\'s Wall - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 01-06-2015

Nice helmet, but the rest of equipment is'nt quite apropiate. Gladius instead spatha, lack of horsetack, modern bit of a model not quite roman, etc...

Roman cavalry on Hadrian\'s Wall - PhilusEstilius - 01-07-2015

Cesar.
The owner of the helmet had to lend his helmet to a film actor for the Varas film that was made, so knowing how the hollywood types perform it would be better if they would consult with those who know more on these subjects.

Roman cavalry on Hadrian\'s Wall - mcbishop - 01-15-2015

A bit more on the planned Hadrian's Wall cavalry exhibition (and re-enactment of the hippika gymnasia).

Mike Bishop

Roman cavalry on Hadrian\'s Wall - PhilusEstilius - 01-15-2015

All going well if a few friends get together we might just see more of this and a few more other bits borrowed would help to show a bit of good action such as some of these.
[attachment=11551]comitatuscavalry151.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11552]cavh01.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11553]newstH.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11554]newstH1.jpg[/attachment]

Then again not forgetting our other friends from elsewhere.

Then again not to forget our other friends from elsewhere.
[attachment=11555]clibinarius2.jpg[/attachment]

Roman cavalry on Hadrian\'s Wall - mcbishop - 03-02-2015

The Hadrian's Cavalry exhibition for Hadrian's Wall in 2017 has got its funding!

Mike Bishop

Roman cavalry on Hadrian\'s Wall - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 03-02-2015

Dear Mike Bishop.

I have a cavalry group, 2-3 cavalrymen, and we are interested in take part in that event. Who's the person we have to contact?

Sure will be a impressive event, if the great groups of cavalry take part all together.

Thanks.

Roman cavalry on Hadrian\'s Wall - mcbishop - 03-03-2015

Quote:I have a cavalry group, 2-3 cavalrymen, and we are interested in take part in that event. Who's the person we have to contact?.
They've only just got the money so nothing is going to happen for a while, but somebody will be put in charge of organising the re-enactment side of things and I'll make sure whoever it is contacts all the groups involved in presenting Roman cavalry (because I think they're going to need as many as possible!).

Mike Bishop