RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Lvcivs Commodvs Cicero - 04-24-2005

Andrew,

Looks good there frater.

What is the furniture I see in the back ground?

It was this or golf - Tarbicus - 04-25-2005

The Brits amongst us *might* get it Smile Had a day off, a camera, and a copy of Photoshop.

[Image: fcspqr_02.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 04-25-2005

Hi Sassanid,

Great pictures!
Quote:Here is my 3rd century auxiliary impression. A soldier, Aurelius Germanus of Cohors Quinta Gallorum based at Arbeia (South Shields) on the River Tyne, in about 230AD. A supply depot at the Eastern end of Hadrian's Wall.

Don't fret, it looks like an angon to me!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Sassanid - 04-25-2005

Thank you every one for your kind comments.

Ivan: I will get you a picture of the sub-armalis, just give me a couple of days to hunt out the digi camera. The outer material is linen, and it is filled with wool.

Dave: The furniture belongs to the Arbeia Museum. There is a gatehouse. A complete 3rd century barrack block with beds, bunks etc, and the Commander's house, which as you can see is furnished to a much higher standard. From memory it contains about 10 rooms, all furnished. It really is an excellent museum, and is free to the public.

Andrew

[Image: QU230428.jpg]

[Image: QU230417.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 04-26-2005

Great! We re preparing a 3rd century miles for the next weekend show -we do multiperiod- and we want to make it like you, the helmet is the Buch one, but still lack of armour, we have the tunic, belt-baldric, sword pants and calligae... I'll post some pics of the event next week.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Antonius Lucretius - 04-26-2005

[url:33xug7g2]http://www.eventplan.co.uk/photopages/Sheff03%20TL%20Vicus1.htm[/url]

It's not me. But it's a nice picture and a very, very nice helmet. I was wondering if that gentleman was one of us?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Sassanid - 04-26-2005

Antonius Lucretius

It is John Naylor of Time Tarts. Don't think he is a member here, but I could be wrong? The helmet is by Toni Feldon.

Ivan

Here is my sub-armalis. It only ties on one side, the left. The right side is just folded over.

[Image: subarmalis.jpg]

Robert

Do you have a good image or drawing of an angon. I have heard the term before, but apart from them possibly looking like a socketed pilum, with small barbs, not much more.

Thanks Andrew

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Mithras - 04-28-2005

Sassanid, I get to see your impression at last. I love the gorget - is that one of Paul's? The bronze-work on the baldric is nice too...

I think there's a photo on RAT somewhere of my in 3rdC armour - with a pose copied from IP Stephenson's book.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Sassanid - 04-29-2005

Hi Mithras,

Yes the gorget is one of Paul Carrick's creations. I wonder if I could persuade him to make me a locked scale corselet to go with the H? The baldric is Nodge's work.

Yes I have seen to your impression on an earlier thread -excellent, and put together so quickly as well. You rather put me to shame. It took me about 2 years, although most of that was taken up by getting the right helmet, and a few famliy/work commitments.

I am intrigued by the dished shield idea. It is the way I would like to go. Do you have to use planks? Would plywood not be a better solution, or is there no archaeological evidence to back that idea up.

Robert, that guy you mentioned in a previous thread. Does he use the plank method for his dished shields? Approximately how much does he charge?

Andrew

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 04-29-2005

Hi Andrew,

Have a look at this thread: link from old RAT

Jean Olivier Bourbon is no longer very cheap, I believe he charges € 200 for an unpainted shield, with no rim or boss.
And € 250 for the whole thing, complete and painted (which he does very well, or rather his daughter I believe).

Yes, he uses planks, but he also has solid (1-plank) versions.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 05-01-2005

Andrew, what did you filled the subarmalis with? Wool, cotton?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Sassanid - 05-02-2005

Ivan,

It is filled with wool.

Andrew

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Mithras - 05-03-2005

My Late Roman impression circa 400 AD at Bolsover Castle on Sunday. It was damn hot, so I was down to my undertunic, rather than my Comitatus tunica.

[Image: bolsover10.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Theodosius the Great - 05-03-2005

Wow, that's really nice, Mithras Big Grin .

The greaves are a nice touch although I was unaware that they were still in use. The strap holding your scabbard in place looks interesting. Is it an extension of your belt ?

If so, it looks very efficient. I wonder if I could adopt the same design.

Also, I didn't know Late Romans continued to wear Focale at this period.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Lucius Aurelius Metellus - 05-04-2005

Hi Paul,
Very nice work! That is a very good photo! Big Grin
Theo, it seems that the shoulder baldrics were not used quite as much in the late period as they were previously (although narrow ones were still used occasionally), but they were suspended from straps that attached the scabbard to the rings of the wide late Roman belt, just as Paul illustrates in his photo. I also think the focale was definitely still in use, and remained almost a "permanent fixture" of the Roman soldier for centuries. It was used not only for preventing armour from chafing one's neck, but also for warmth in the winter, or to wipe sweat in the heat, or even to prevent sunburn on the neck. I wear one as well, and have a brown wool one for colder weather and a red linen one for hot weather. As for the greaves, I will let Paul explain that one, as I don't know that much about them in our late Roman period, although I have heard that they were still used. Paul, can you elaborate on them a bit? Big Grin
Paul's photo does an excellent job of illustrating what a late Roman infantryman would have looked like. :wink: