RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Hraban - 02-18-2009

Hi,

I have to admit that this is one of my favourit threads. You guys simply look great. Confusedhock:
When I find the time - and can muster the courage - :oops: I'll put in a picture of me in my incomplete late roman outfit.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Dan from Britannia - 02-18-2009

Courage?

Your avatar makes your kit look great Smile I don't think anyone on here would take issue.

Go for it!

[size=85:2ofk8oer](Except if you were a 17 year old member of my group that wears bits of his kit to a party and tucks his tunic into his trousers)[/size] :evil:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Smithy - 02-18-2009

Quote:Courage?

Your avatar makes your kit look great Smile I don't think anyone on here would take issue.

Go for it!

[size=85:1nawj6tv](Except if you were a 17 year old member of my group that wears bits of his kit to a party and tucks his tunic into his trousers)[/size] :evil:

Sad

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Dan from Britannia - 02-20-2009

One of our ballistas & a hungry Audax flanked by two columns at the edge of our camp (typical Limitani on guard duty) :lol:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Agraes - 02-21-2009

Catuuatal map Bran, Romano-Briton miles of the late Vth century :wink:

[Image: catu1di3.jpg]

[Image: catu3ci6.jpg]

[Image: catu4wm3.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Cheyenne - 02-23-2009

Hi Agraes,

Could you tell me what kind of blade that is? I take it, it is a form of Saex? I've never seen one like that before for our period..

Claire

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Agraes - 02-23-2009

Yes, it is a kind of scramasax or langsax, as you want to call it. Exemples that long are somewhat rare but they became more common in the VIth century, especially in continental context. I got some documentation about anglo-saxon ones too.

Note that what we are doing at Letavia is late Vth and early VIth century, that can be termed "sub-roman" or "post-roman".

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 02-23-2009

He's looking good Agraes!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - kuura - 02-24-2009

Quote:Yes, it is a kind of scramasax or langsax, as you want to call it. Exemples that long are somewhat rare but they became more common in the VIth century, especially in continental context. I got some documentation about anglo-saxon ones too.

Very rare I would say until the 9th century or thereabouts. The largest 'fighting knife' I've come across (and had made) are Baltic battle knives from Latvia and Lithuania dating to the C5th. They look more like machetes in profile and were up to 38-40cm in blade length. Larger varieties existed but not until the 8th-9th century as in the rest of Europe.
Having said that, Paul Binns used to have a basic 'migration' period blade on his 'old' website with a handle/grip just like yours. Not sure if it was single edged or double though, but think it was just a simple hacker produced by Germanics or the simple rehilting of a Roman blade, possibly ground down?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Sascha - 02-25-2009

The scramasax is common for the late saxon period in 8th century a substitute for a spatha in northern germany.
The earlier ones are mostly smaller.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Hraban - 03-02-2009

Hi,

here is a picture of my incomplete late roman kit which was taken last year on an event.
Several items are yet missing since I only started this a while ago, but I am working on it. Big Grin
The cloak and the spear are loaned from a friend plus the tunic is made of linen as I couldn't get any off-white wool at the time and the linen was cheap. It is made after an egyptian tunic in "Roman Military Clothing (2)", which is probably more of a 3rd century style whereas belt and helmet are 4th century.

[Image: Sptrom2Kopie.jpg]

Yours,

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Medicus matt - 03-02-2009

Quote:The scramasax is common for the late saxon period in 8th century a substitute for a spatha in northern germany.
The earlier ones are mostly smaller.

Can we stop calling them 'scramasax' please? The word is 'seax'.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Smithy - 03-02-2009

Quote:Hi,

here is a picture of my incomplete late roman kit which was taken last year on an event.
Several items are yet missing since I only started this a while ago, but I am working on it. Big Grin
The cloak and the spear are loaned from a friend plus the tunic is made of linen as I couldn't get any off-white wool at the time and the linen was cheap. It is made after an egyptian tunic in "Roman Military Clothing (2)", which is probably more of a 3rd century style whereas belt and helmet are 4th century.

Yours,

Seconding Dan, I do not know why you had to pluck up teh courage, I have been in for a year also and well you have put me too an almighty shame.

Regards Smithy.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Peroni - 03-02-2009

Saturday at the Lunt Fort..

Mid First Century...
[Image: DSCF1504.jpg]

Mid Second Century... (dagger kindly on loan for the photo! - Thanks mate!)
[Image: DSCF1546.jpg]

Me and the boyz....(Two others not in pic. It was a good turn out of Batavi Saturday!)
[Image: DSCF1501.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Dan from Britannia - 03-02-2009

Hraban - for a relative newcomer don't apologise mate, excellent first kit!

Smithy - seconded... although you have passed muster/kit check at several shows, and when you put the effort in your kit is good!
I guess that's what I was fuming about (slinging a load of stuff on badly and mixed with what looked like LRP kit and strutting on a forum where people come for sound academic advice on their kit).
You do make a good floating corpse though... we were impressed when you didn't flinch when that onager 'rock' landed near you!
:lol:

Peroni - WOW!!!!