RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-19-2009

Hmmm, that officer is very friendly with the miles in your picture.....hope he remembers the regulations..... :lol:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Antonia Auriga - 08-22-2009

Hehehe... Don't ask don't tell. That moment was right after I got my 'place holder' engagement ring... we were quite excited, got carried away... but regulations... of course. My friend sent me a picture of me full kit from Old Ft. MacArthur Days this year.... Not too bad. I'm just a pesky kid, probably lied about my age to enlist. : )This brings photo count of me as mile to 3...

[Image: FtMac09-Lisa.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 08-22-2009

Great impression. Good for you for doing all that you have. There is a thread somewhere here on RAT that explains riveting. It's not difficult once you get the hang of it. Having the tools (ball peen hammer and rivet head socket) is over half the work. Go slowly, and it works like magic, almost...but without the incantation. Just a few dozen hammer taps and your rivet is set.

Keep up the good work. You make us all proud.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-22-2009

Looks as though you will need to pad you cheek pieces.
Makes the helmet a lot more comfortable I find!
To make a grip on your pilum, a rolling hitch, or 'queen mary' knot followed by a series of half hitches untill you reach the desired length for your grip, is how I do it. Just a suggestion.

Looks good!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 08-22-2009

That's a good way, GJC, and some people "whip" it as if it were the free end of a rope they didn't want to unravel. Others glue down the ends and just use a wrap. I saw one with a leather sleeve at the grip point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMq9KdOtSJ0

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Antonia Auriga - 08-24-2009

Quote:I bought the pilum half-finished, so it's still a little tall for me and I need a butt spike and a grip would be great since it's a bit awkward to carry...
Well, it's probably more sensible to make the pilum fit you so that you're comfortable carrying it safely than to keep it oversized for you. Naturally, what you do is dependant on what your legion's leadership says, but I'd impose rules number 1 and 2.
1. Make sure the point is higher than your eye when the butt of the pilum is resting on the ground. No sense having to wear an eye patch forever, and glass eyes never seem to look quite right.
2. Get the size and weight so that it is manageable for you, and you'll be much more confident of your abilities to handle the throwing part of things.

Since you don't have a butt spike already installed, it's not a big deal to shorten that end of the shaft, make another partial cone shape with a rasp, and fit the butt spike to the shortened shaft, seems to me, but what do I know? I'm just a mere man. (not a merman, though. Heh.)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Franklin - 09-14-2009

Finally finished my squamata some time back. Approx 2000 scales and 400 man hours, including hand stitched and stuffed subarmalis underneath.

[Image: squamatacoronation.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Virilis - 09-14-2009

Wow, impressive work Franklin Confusedhock: ! Your tunic looks good too...

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - gneuspartak - 09-15-2009

Franklin
Very clever ! It is you officer belt?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Bran ap Maclou - 09-16-2009

Quote:Finally finished my squamata some time back. Approx 2000 scales and 400 man hours, including hand stitched and stuffed subarmalis underneath.

[Image: squamatacoronation.jpg]

Great impression and good job ! It's really a beautiful squamata.

Are you numerous to interest into late roman reenactment in the USA ?

Bye

Greg

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Franklin - 09-16-2009

The knotted belt is my own interpretation. Kind of a throw-back to earlier periods. I'm always seeing examples of how Romans loved to mimic classical armor.

And yes, I have lots of friends interested in Late Roman studies in the US.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Virilis - 09-16-2009

Here is a pissed-off legionary of Julian`s army by the river Rhein in the fourth century. He has been woken up by a false alarm in the middle of the night and he didn`t had the time to find all his gear, spatha etc :wink: ...

[Image: skirmish.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - King Louise Assurbanipal - 09-17-2009

Could somebody post yours photos in early Byzantine armours? Smile

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Virilis - 09-17-2009

Quote:Could somebody post yours photos in early Byzantine armours? Smile

Hi Artur!

I think my impression above could perhaps depict a light "skirmisher" of a late 5th century of eastern roman empire or a byzantine one of early 6th century to a certain degree too....

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Bran ap Maclou - 09-17-2009

Quote:Could somebody post yours photos in early Byzantine armours? Smile

This kind of kit ?

[Image: 1-picture3.gif?0.7738065186301795]

The herculiani, an eastern palatina
http://monsite.orange.fr/lesherculiani2/page1.html

Their kits improved a lot since these old pictures.

Bye !