RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Virilis - 06-04-2010

Hi guys!

Shooting a bow of, lets say, with a draw weight over 70 pounds requires a totally different technique than with a traditional victorian style where the anchor point is at the corner of the mouth. I have a Grozer THR laminated turkish bow of 60# draw weight and it is for fun. The c-shape of the bow clearly adds to the dynamism of the bow, it is fast and accurate. Unfortunately it is clearly meant to be shot with a thumb-ring because of the acute angle of the string when drawn. I use the mediterranean three-fingered release and it is not as clear as I would like. It is also painful to the fingers because they are pressed so hard against the string / arrow shaft. I have also Kassai`s 110# bow but I am not shooting with it anymore because in relation to it`s draw weight it is not fast / powerful at all! The bow weight itself about 1 kilo and it is just too heavy to be efficient (because of the weight of the fiberglass). I would love to have 100# bow which would weigh 500gr tops...

Ps. lovely bow, Byron Confusedhock: !

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-04-2010

Cheers Virilis.
The solution for the nipping fingers is the draw glove for the three fingers perhaps?
I have both a thumb ring and the glove, but still need to try to compare.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Virilis - 06-04-2010

Quote:Cheers Virilis.
The solution for the nipping fingers is the draw glove for the three fingers perhaps?
I have both a thumb ring and the glove, but still need to try to compare.

Hi Byron!

I use both three-fingered glove and a shooting tab but after shooting for a while the pressure still gets to your fingers. With the short bows the string angle is so acute and I think that`s why the thumb-release was invented in the first place. I sometimes tape my fingers under the glove or tab but still after 1 hour of shooting it gets a bit painful..

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-04-2010

OK thanks. Will see how I get on with it.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Caballo - 06-04-2010

Heres my Late Roman impression- now if someone could photoshop out the modern people in the background....I have absolutely no idea how to do this!!
[Image: caballo2010.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 06-04-2010

Quote:Heres my Late Roman impression- now if someone could photoshop out the modern people in the background....I have absolutely no idea how to do this!!
Hi Paul - great outfit ( I've sure I know that tunic from somewhere.... maybe I just have to turn my head and look hedind me?)!! Big Grin

I've got rid of the people, the ropes, the banner and the crane. I just hope I did the gate justice. Where was this taken?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Caballo - 06-04-2010

Thanks Vorti!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Rhun - 06-04-2010

Hello Caballo.

Here is your picture without the people.

All the best,
Rhun

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 06-05-2010

Quote:Here is your picture without the people.
I think you did the gate more justice, but you forgot the crane! Big Grin

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Caballo - 06-05-2010

Thanks both!
Cheers
Caballo

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-06-2010

Nice gear Caballo.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Agraes - 06-06-2010

Great picture and great kit Smile

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - MarcellusCCLXXV - 06-16-2010

[attachment=5:zf1x5flm]<!-- ia5 MarcThruTime04-10.JPG<!-- ia5 [/attachment:zf1x5flm]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Caballo - 06-16-2010

Excellent impression- and good to see that any Barbarian incursion from the west of Britannia is covered!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Lucius Duccius Rufinus - 06-16-2010

Quote:And then there were four....
We did have five soldiers at one point, but he was avolunteer who had other duties.
He may join us though, the season is young....

[Image: Advance.jpg]

[Image: Readytoassault.jpg]

Excellent! Smile oops: