RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Paul Elliott - 11-08-2011

Nice, Caballo, very nice indeed. Tell me, you MUST have had one of these displayed on your wall at home ... I would have!

Totally unrelated note: I've noticed that Tita, like most lorica wearers wears her belt up on the armour itself. Of course this copies Trajan's Column, and anywhere else? I just can't get mine to stay there! It constantly slips down, it may be my hefty 2nd/3rdC pugio pulling it down, but also my segmentata is alot wider than me, so if it does slip it won't sit on the hips. Annoying .. I have to wear my belt around my waist, so the belt plates aren't very visible Cry Cry

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 11-08-2011

Quote:Totally unrelated note: I've noticed that Tita, like most lorica wearers wears her belt up on the armour itself. Of course this copies Trajan's Column, and anywhere else? I just can't get mine to stay there! It constantly slips down, it may be my hefty 2nd/3rdC pugio pulling it down, but also my segmentata is alot wider than me, so if it does slip it won't sit on the hips. Annoying .. I have to wear my belt around my waist, so the belt plates aren't very visible Cry Cry

Well, most people seem to use the lacing straps to wrap the belt and make sure it doesn't slice downwards. Some even have some brass clips (s-shape) over the plates of the segmentata, the belt can hang into. None of these methods did satisfy me as you can't put on the belt (or remove it) yourself this way. Most of the time, together with my segmentata I wear one or two belts. The one (or the bottom one) is a smaller style and therefore it can slit between the lacing loops. Now, if the belt is fastened tightly, it will go nowhere. Now, if wanted my second (broader) belt can go on top of this one and will slide neither. Looking ad several segmentata plates and size of different beltplates, I would say this is far more feasible, even when using a slidly broader belt. Only my segmentata has small strips in the main body.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Caballo - 11-08-2011

Thanks all, much appreciated.
Around my helmet is a tablet woven pattern, with a matching one on my spear ( not in picture ). It's a conjectural interpretation of the helmet and spear decoration shown in some De Rebus Bellicis illustrations and also in the Dura clibanarius graffiti on the helmet. I've interpreted it as a 360 degree identification mark that would work if the shield is not visible.

And no, I haven't got the pictures up on my wall. Not yet anyway..... Wink

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Nurglitch - 11-08-2011

Quote:Totally unrelated note: I've noticed that Tita, like most lorica wearers wears her belt up on the armour itself. Of course this copies Trajan's Column, and anywhere else? I just can't get mine to stay there!

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat.html?func=view&catid=55&id=289141

Skip the first few posts, the rest of the thread is pretty much about getting the belt to stay up.

Many thanks Piotr, I will have a read. Big Grin

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-08-2011

Quote:Nice, Caballo, very nice indeed. Tell me, you MUST have had one of these displayed on your wall at home ... I would have!

Totally unrelated note: I've noticed that Tita, like most lorica wearers wears her belt up on the armour itself. Of course this copies Trajan's Column, and anywhere else? I just can't get mine to stay there! It constantly slips down, it may be my hefty 2nd/3rdC pugio pulling it down, but also my segmentata is alot wider than me, so if it does slip it won't sit on the hips. Annoying .. I have to wear my belt around my waist, so the belt plates aren't very visible Cry Cry

Make some belt hangers....easy to do! Smile

Jurjen it is quite easy to put the belt on yourself. But in reality,
soldiers would help each other to kit up, so if you make some for the back too,
someone can ensure they are hung correctly at the back.

Here was I thinking I was the only re-enactor with this problem, what a relief!

Out of curiosity - do you own an Indian segmentata? Thus far of all the people I know only the ones with DSC or DPK segs have this problem (and that includes me). The Indian segs are barrel-shaped. This doesn't help the belt stay on.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-08-2011

No this seems to be a problem with all the segs.
Mine are custom made by Brian Stobbs and Erik Konig.
Also the guys in the XIIIIth who wear Len Morgans also seem to have the same problem.

Understood. I stand corrected.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - joeandmich - 11-08-2011

Caballo,

I must say those are great pictures and your armor and clothing looks amazing. I have a question to ask of you. I'm not very educated in Roman military history and was wondering why the Romans through the ages minimized the size of their shield, changed from plate to scale and northernized their helmets. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Caballo - 11-08-2011

Thanks Joe- and those are big questions, each deserving a thread on its own. For a start , the Late Roman oval shield was just as big as the early oval. And a combination of tactical evolution, external bright ideas brought in, and sheer fashion accounts for a lot.

The best book on the evolution of Roman Armour is still Roman Military Equipment by Bishop and Coulston. I strongly recommend it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roman-Military-Equipment-M-Bishop/dp/0713476273

And the drawings, courtesy of Mike Bishop

http://www.romanmilitaryequipment.co.uk/figures.htm

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 11-08-2011

"Also the guys in the XIIIIth who wear Len Morgans also seem to have the same problem."

Really? It's never been a problem for me and like virtually all the others in the 14th mine is a Len Morgan. Until about five years ago the only people in the 14th who had this problem were people who had not done their belts up tightly enough due to the weight of the inaccurate cast brass handles of their daggers dragging them down as they were being put on. Those people who put their belts on and then attached their daggers never had a problem with their belts not staying in place. In fact, most of us made fun of the habit, adopted by a certain other group, of resting their belts on their tie loops, on the basis of the fact that it seemed to be a matter of the belts themselves not being the right size for the men.
Then, about five years ago a few newer members of the group started to have problems and took to using leather thongs to hold their belts in place. I couldn't help noticing at the time that this was also when people started buying equipment from Indian suppliers or making up their own belts from parts they had bought. Previous to that the same two or three people had made all our belts and they never gave us trouble.
Food for thought?

Crispvs

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 11-08-2011

Quote:Food for thought?

Smile

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - John Conyard - 11-08-2011

I own one of Len's segs and I never have any problems even though I have worn it with different belts. My current belt I made ages ago, and I leave the pugio attached. The belt just pulls in to the waist on the seg. and stays there. Len's seg. fits me like a glove, but I suspect Piotr is correct in that Indian segs. often have dustbin like bodies. Of course body shape may be an issue.