RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Nurglitch - 11-15-2011

Looking good. Would look even better without the bracers Smile

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 11-15-2011

Great pictures Mike, your kit is comming together very nicely!

Nice Longus. I like the look of your pteryges, although I personally whould have made them a bit thicker, so they prevent better to cutting blows. Why are you wearing you gladius on the right, while having a crista transversa suggesting you're a centurio?

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Surena - 11-15-2011

Quote:Why are you wearing you gladius on the right, while having a crista transversa suggesting you're a centurio?

Glad somebody else asked that, so much else I thought I knew has been shown to be wrong since I started coming here, I was getting worried...

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - joeandmich - 11-15-2011

Longus,

You look like one tough badass centurion

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Nurglitch - 11-15-2011

I don't think it has been convincingly established there was some hard rule about centurions wearing their swords on the left. It would be more convenient when mounted, sure, but when time came to grab a scutum and lead the centuria, the sword on the left would be very uncomfortable.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 11-15-2011

Quote:Improved impression thanks to RAT members input- new staff (hastile) , scutum, torque, belt and removed red cloak - still waiting on tablet and ring.
Looking very good Mike!

Hi 'Longus',
You look very good! Just these bracers.. :oops: and perhaps a few more flaps on the pteryges?

Hi Piotr,
Quote:I don't think it has been convincingly established there was some hard rule about centurions wearing their swords on the left. It would be more convenient when mounted, sure, but when time came to grab a scutum and lead the centuria, the sword on the left would be very uncomfortable.
Technical discussions in a new thread please!!

Quote:This is me in a squamata that i last wore some 17 years ago, surprisingly it still fits.
Looking good Richard, but I would shorten the pteryges on the shoulder and at least double the amount to achieve real protection.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Evgeny - 11-15-2011

Gladius on the right - the old legionary habit) :-D

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Colletti - 11-16-2011

You always have great action pics Longus, I especially like the one on the last page with you about to stab a barbarian.

Septimus, what helmet is that you have?

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - comicus - 11-16-2011

Matt, it's just the Deepeeka Gallic G N-model. I purchased a DSC Greek crest from Kult of Athena and modified to fit a Deepeeka wood box crest holder I purchased from Adrian.

Crest is looking a little limp in the last set of pics, but I recently reshaped it so it stands higher and it looks alot better)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 11-16-2011

I always store my crest lying on its side, turning it over every week or so to make sure it does not look lop-sided. This means that the hair does not sag down with the prolonged effect of gravity. I used to hang it upside down on a hook, using a string tied between the two rings but I have found that keeping it on its side works just as well.

Crispvs

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - PhilusEstilius - 11-16-2011

I think that if anyone has a decent crest it is well worth also making a good plywood box for transportation when going to events, if made correctly the box can be put into any position without the crest moving or being damaged.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Dany Boy - 11-26-2011