RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 01-25-2006

Quote:[Image: ROMANME.jpg]
http://www.geocities.com/midnightwolf.geo/ROMANME.jpg

bad picture, sorry
Bad?! Not at all!!! Very good impression indeed! Well done Chuck!

My Burgh Castle helmet is almost ready! - Virilis - 01-31-2006

Salve!

My Burgh Castle-type helmet is almost ready. It was made by Joe Piela of Thelonelymountainforge. I ordered it in pieces and had to attach the cheekpieces and the neckquard myself (with leather and rivets). I also sculpted the nasalquard a bit.

I am aware of it`s flaws; the cheekpieces should be mor convex and I still have to attach the neckquard with leather-straps. I am not convinced about the solidly attached leather linings, so I am using a removable lining for now.

I am quite pleased with Joe Piela`s quality of workmanship and his prices too...

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 01-31-2006

The helmet looks good...

How many costs it?

Faventianus (RAT member too) have a similar helmet, but from deepeeka. It's very modified by himself, but costs less than 200 dolars.

I think if you buy a custom helmet, you don't have to make so many modifications. You have right to be quite pleased, i think...

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Virilis - 01-31-2006

Salve!

I paid 175 dollars for the Burgh Castle helmet to Joe Piela (plus delivery costs and some customs). The helmet was in parts, the bowl only was finished. It was actually quite fun to attach those other parts in place.

The completed helmet with leather lining would have cost 275 dollars. When I ordered the helmet Euro was quite strong...

Newer Deepeeka late roman helmets looks also improved, you can check from the www.armae.com pages. The thing I liked to have helmet made to measure is that I can have very close-fitting helmet which always looks better than the "bucket in the head :wink: !"

regards,

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 01-31-2006

Well, my helmet looks like the bucket in the head, but because it have a more than 1 cm felt lining that protects me from Faventianus, when we make some mock combat :lol:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 01-31-2006

Very beutiful, Virilis, looks really good! Any other pic of tour late Roman items?

Sorry ,Faventianus, I have only two tunics and a spear Sad .....

I can attach here a picture of my tunics later. The other is made of cotton (which is suspectible as a late roman material) and the other on is made of linen. There`s no activity of late roman re-enactment here in Finland and I use my tunics as I go into Sauna in our summer- (winter-) house. They work perfectly. In summer I use an earlier rectancular tunic, it is also great!

I have some other era gear, greek, earlier roman and viking. Of course late roman equipment is my favourite! I am searching for a good late roman spatha, but for example the Albion-Armorers new ones will be quite expensive.... Patrick Barta could be an option perhaps?

Regards,

If you are skilled get just the blade and make the rest yourself...

In fact I have thought about it!

The pommel, grip etc. could be quite easy to make. The blade could be, let`s say, 5cm wide, 70 long, diamond cross section and short tapering point, not triangular. Mark Morrow of the swordsmith.net made me a spearblade and it is great. He can also make very good sword-blades with a solid tang.

Does anyone know affordable good quality swordsmiths here in Europe where to get a swordblade? Last summer I tried to contact Len Morgan of Fabrica about late roman swords and scabbards but he never answered me.... I have a pompeii-style gladius and scabbard made by him and they are superb value for the money!

So I will continue my search for the Excalibur :wink: ...

Why don't you find a local blacksmith in your area?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Celt - 01-31-2006

[Image: i1picture025.jpg]

Greetings to all.

I have just joined Roman Talk and wanted to say hello. The main picture is of a 3rd Cent. Aux. based at South Shields fort though I am currently a member of Comitatus 4th Cent. Roman group.

Hope to chat to you all at a later date.

Bye for now.

Jamie

[Image: praes-shield.jpg]

Welcome Jamie! Great impression! I've already seen you in other pics with that great Der-El-Medineh helmet.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Petre82 - 02-01-2006

HI,
I've been here for a while, but this is my first post, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I just graduated from University last fall, so maybe I'll have time to join a group. This is my late Augustan impression work in progress. I also have an invasion of Britain kit going with Segmentata. Any comments appreciated.

thanks,
Peter Luks

[Image: AUGUSTUS.jpg]

re - Johnny Shumate - 02-01-2006

Peter,
Nice looking kit..!
Glad to see someone is doing Republican era impressions. What difference would your kit be to a legionaire in the Gallic War..?
Thanks,
Johnny

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Petre82 - 02-01-2006

Hi Johnny,
Thanks!
I actually don't know of many late republican groups. Would be nice for one nearby Cry . The differences that I know of would be to: change the helmet to a Montefortino, change to a republican scutum (I plan to make one soon) and I believe no apron on the belt. You could also change the hamata hooks into a straight bar instead of the "s" hooks

thanks,
Peter