RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Show here your Roman soldier impression - scotti73 - 02-08-2013

The first event of our group the Ratae Militia and yes we are associated with Cohors Prima Batavorum

[attachment=6379]11273_138392946326971_580962348_n.jpg[/attachment]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 02-08-2013

Nice picture Richard, especially with that background. It looks a bit chilly!

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Tarbicus - 02-08-2013

That bloke on the left's wearing some cracking gear Wink

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 02-08-2013

That looks like the Jewery Wall in Leicester. Had I known I probably would have come over to see you (I might even have brought my own kit along with me and added one to the numbers). Next time perhaps.

Crispvs

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-08-2013

Nice picture Richard!
To be fair, you're a lot uglier in real life though! :mrgreen:

Was a good day out! Thanks!

Show here your Roman soldier impression - scotti73 - 02-09-2013

Yes Jim, i imagine the kit looks a touch on the familiar side Confusedmile: Thanks Byron thats why i wear a helmet. Glad you had a good day and thanks for the support.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Appius - 02-09-2013

Quote:Nice kit, Radka. What kind of belt (buckle) did you choose? I'm currently looking into caesarian belts but find it hard to find much examples.

This one:

https://www.armamentaria.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_34&products_id=103

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Jori - 02-10-2013

[Image: silva.jpg]

Hello there! As I understand, this is where we put some pictures of us!

Here's my latest equipment, as I finished 2012. For 2013, I have new projects of improving it.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 02-10-2013

Very nice impression Jori. I particularly like your sword - who made it? Your baldric should pass over, rather than under your belt, by the way.

My only other area of criticism would be the trousers. If you are doing an impression of a soldier of the Dacian Wars or later, trousers are fine, as there is evidence for their use by citizen solders from one of the Adamklissi metopes, dating to Trajan's Dacian campaigns in the early second century AD. Evidence for their use before this is entirely lacking though and as your overall impression looks more like the mid-1st century AD (judging by your belt) I would avoid them on the basis that although they were certainly in use by some soldiers fifty or so years later, we do not know how long before that they entered service and so it is possible that trousers (of any type) may be utterly wrong for a soldier of your period. A lot can change in fifty or sixty years after all.

Crispvs

Show here your Roman soldier impression - M. Val. Naso - 02-10-2013

Where do you get the baldric over the belt-thing? It is impossible to pull out a sword if it stucks even for a half of a second. But holding it down with your belt makes it possible to pull easily, run with the sword, and fight with the sword.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Jori - 02-10-2013

Thanks for the comments. Let's reply in order Smile

First of all : my gladius was made by Erik König.

I'm a legionary from the Flavian period, from the LEG VIII, based at Argentorate (Strasbourg). Here, in winter, it's cold. Many of our ancestors are gauls, used to wear braccae. Feminalia were common at this place and period, but not depicted on official sculptures, that's right.

We have tested everything we wear. For instance, a real marching, during one complete week, 20 kms per day. Everything works. We tested leather feminalia, linen feminalia and wool. Wool is ok for winter and rain, linen is ok for sunny days, and leather is ok for centurios Big Grin ...

My baldric under my belt : I have two belts. It is far better for me to block the baldric with the top belt, precisely because when you march many kilometers, the gladius hurting your tie can be really annoying. No problem at all to take the gladius off in combat. This gladius is really far from the poor gladius sold by our indian friends. It will never be stuck.

Why two belts? Because one of them will be my new belt for my gladius, I will take this baldric off.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Caballo - 02-10-2013

Lovely gladius- and good website too"

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Caballo - 02-10-2013

Lovely gladius and good website too!

Show here your Roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 02-10-2013

Quote:Where do you get the baldric over the belt-thing? It is impossible to pull out a sword if it stucks even for a half of a second. But holding it down with your belt makes it possible to pull easily, run with the sword, and fight with the sword.

Almost all depictions of Roman soldiers show that. The thing you write seems to be a re-enactorism...

Show here your Roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 02-11-2013

Today I finally could try my now completed horse armour. Some little changes have to be made to get it working even better, but I'm totally happy with the results sofar. The horse doesn't mind the housing and responds on all the aids.

Enjoy.

[Image: IMG_0925_zps91d55178.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0951_zps1f4f5c10.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0976_zps1b3d82db.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0994_zps42983c6f.jpg]