RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Show here your Roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 02-11-2013

Quote:It is impossible to pull out a sword if it stucks even for a half of a second
If the sword does not slip freely from the scabbard, the scabbard needs work. If you look at how the gladius is worn on pretty much all the sculptures and grave stones, the pommel is almost up to the armpit. Surprisingly, it is not hard at all to draw the gladius from that high (a spatha might be an issue).

The big problem is that many of the commercially made swords have some kind of a spacer (often cardboard) inside the throat of the scabbard, probably to keep the blade from moving during shipping, OR a bit of turned down leather in the throat. Removing those gripping things will make the sword come free from the scabbard very easily. Try it.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 02-11-2013

Quote:It is impossible to pull out a sword if it stucks even for a half of a second
If the sword does not slip freely from the scabbard, the scabbard needs work. If you look at how the gladius is worn on pretty much all the sculptures and grave stones, the pommel is almost up to the armpit. Surprisingly, it is not hard at all to draw the gladius from that high (a spatha might be an issue).

The big problem is that many of the commercially made swords have some kind of a spacer (often cardboard) inside the throat of the scabbard, probably to keep the blade from moving during shipping, OR a bit of turned down leather in the throat. Removing those gripping things will make the sword come free from the scabbard very easily. Try it.

@ Jurjen: Great work. Looks like you have an ancient horse under a modern rider. How many scales?

Show here your Roman soldier impression - mcbishop - 02-11-2013

Quote:The true quantum leap will come when someone does a feature film that is not only entertaining but faithful to history. A tough row to hoe, but a challenge worth the effort.
Sadly, like drawing the perfect circle freehand, the universe (well, this one at least) will wink out of existence should this ever happen. Fortunately, Hollywood shows no signs of coming anywhere near this mystic goal. Bollywood is a different matter...

Mike Bishop

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Vindex - 02-12-2013

I have moved the further discussion of the sword baldric under or over the belt to a different thread so that we can keep discussion seperate to the photographs in this thread.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 02-12-2013

Quote:@ Jurjen: Great work. Looks like you have an ancient horse under a modern rider. How many scales?

The main body contains 3600 scales, where the neck-piece has 1600. This makes a total of around 5200 scales. I haven't measured the weight of the total thing, but going by the weight of the main body (just under 18kg) the total should be around 26kg in total.

Housing and neck piece are based on finds from Dura Europos.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 02-12-2013

Holy Crap, that's amazing!

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 02-12-2013

The horse armour looks extremely good Jurjen. Well done indeed!

How big are your scales? I ask this as my scale uses something just over five thousand scales and it is obviously a lot smaller than your horse armour.

Crispvs

Show here your Roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 02-12-2013

Quote:The horse armour look extremely good Jurjen. Well done indeed!

How big are your scales? I ask this as my scale uses something just over five thousand scales and it is obviously a lot smaller than your horse armour.

Crispvs

The scales measure 25x40mm, just like the originals on housing 1 from Dura tower 19.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-13-2013

Great looking impression Jori, and Jurjen,
The horse panoply looks fantastic! Well done indeed!

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 02-27-2013

Took this last summer, now the jewelled helmet has a more worthy owner :whistle: ...

[Image: 06d73dabaeb1b0565b1fb7a67056f626_zps1648104e.jpg]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Nearco - 02-27-2013

I am finding late roman era very interesting! Congratulations for a great impression

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Aarronious - 02-27-2013

Very nice, late Roman seems to be quite popular.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Helvetus - 02-27-2013

Beautiful :woot:

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Bernwart - 02-27-2013

Great picture, Virilis, and marvellous equipment!

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 02-27-2013

Thanks guys! Smile