RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Show here your Roman soldier impression - 66kbm - 08-05-2013

Hi all
A recent one at the Lunt Fort near Coventry.
Its my best "Graham Sumner Pose"
Kevin

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Manius Acilius Italicus - 08-06-2013

Antonius, your costume looks good for a costume and was great training for you, both in craftsmanship and learning just how much effort goes into building up these kits. If you don't have the large amounts of funds to buy ready made and want to build your own, the expenditure is still pretty costly.
You have received some great inputs from various members and I hope you use them to your advantage. As Dave and others have said, there are always folks who are critical of your work, no matter how good it is and seldom if ever show you examples of their excellent work.
I have a couple of suggestions for you, as you seem to be of the same mindset as I, in that you are going to do it your way no matter what and that is fine to a point. You must temper your artistic desires with the wisdom of others who have been there are done that. That doesn't mean you have to do it their way, but use their experiences to your advantage. Many on this site are more than willing to help you as I can attest.
First your starting reach is high for someone who appears so young. You have something I wish I had...time! Some of us are much older guys who have vast military experiences, athletic backgrounds and have learned crafting skills like blacksmith, tailoring, mold making, etc. So take on those tasks that you can afford and have the materials and ability to complete to your satisfaction.
I bought a flat bar of good quality steel from a small metals dealer that was inexpensive and used the stock removal method, as it is faster and you don't have to know how to smith to do it. I posted a picture of mine almost completed on here in the past and if you wish you can take a look at what you could reasonably make. I only use brass plate and sheet (no bronze) and the handle is laminated black walnut and brass plate and was coated with boiled linseed oil.
It is taking a very long time to construct my kit, but I have several pieces under construction at the same time and I am a perfectionist. More interesting that way and I don't get tired of working on one piece and start seeing more accomplished. I also posted my helm under way and it was made using locally available materials and I am super happy with how it is coming out.
One final word...protect your health when working with these materials. Brass is toxic as it contains lead and other materials you don't want in your system and as another legionnaire pointed out, if you grind bone, wear breathing protection as bone dust and tiny fragments can ruin your day permanently! Even breathing charcoal fumes over a period of time will get you.
If you ever have any questions about any stage of your manufacturing, just ask. There are many experts in here who have help me and are always willing to point you in the right direction. Some really great guys in here and I consider them brother legionnaires.
Best of luck to you and hang in there.
Manius Acilius Italicus
Bob Cherry

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Antonius Insulae - 08-06-2013

Thank you Bob Cherry, Fidelis Sam and others!

I will gladly take advice from more experienced members of the community as often as I need it.
The materials are costly, I know, but still not as costly than to buy everything ready-made. And I collect materials everywhere I can find them for free, like now I have some big iron plates and some cow leg bones in stock. Maybe I can make something from them in the future.
I also appreciate all your tips and safety warnings, I certainly do not want to ruin my health, even wood dust is not nice to breath, and ear plugs would be good while hammering metal plates, like I've noticed.

Time is all I have, and using more time can often compensate money, when doing everything by myself. It takes a very long time to make a perfect kit, and I'm a perfectionist too, so I know. I also have several pieces under construction at the same time.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Titus Marius Secundus - 08-06-2013

How come you have so much time?! I want some if it!

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Antonius Insulae - 08-06-2013

I am unemployed and a student.
I can give you some of my time, but you have to give me some money for exchange of it. That is something I don't have too much.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Vindex - 08-06-2013

IN MODERATOR GREEN (No, colours still not working for me!)

Interesting dicussion, gentlemen, but can we keep on topic please.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Jori - 08-06-2013

To be in topic :

[Image: IMG_5131.jpg]

I'm on the left, during our latest event, in full marching kit. No, I wouldn't march with the helmet, it's for practical reasons that I kept it on my head (soon after this, we maneuvered for the public,).

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 08-07-2013

Great Stuff!

I would never wear my tunic that high though :razz:

Show here your Roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 08-07-2013

They did. 8+)

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 08-07-2013

Well, we wear it above the knees (below the knees is only acceptable for Late Roman) but that high is too high for me. Mostly because you'd be able to see the ROTC shorts I wear underneath.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 08-07-2013

Sounds like the shorts are the problem, not the tunic. :grin:
Speedo. Nuff said. ;-)

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Jori - 08-07-2013

It was very hot that day, so...
Yes I was afraid that little kids could see my modern subligaculum :p

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Colletti - 08-08-2013

Nice kit Jori, but may I ask, why did you choose greaves? I thought greaves were ruled out in the first century and early second? Even for the Dacian wars

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Colletti - 08-08-2013

Nice kit Jori, but may I ask, why did you choose greaves? I thought greaves were ruled out in the first century and early second? Even for the Dacian wars I thought the greaves were made up by Conolly as I want to say they don't exist on either of Trajan's monuments

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-08-2013

Quote:Well, we wear it above the knees (below the knees is only acceptable for Late Roman) but that high is too high for me. Mostly because you'd be able to see the ROTC shorts I wear underneath.
Where did you get that info from?
As far as I'm aware, they still wore the tunics above the knees in the later period as well.
I'd be interested to see any images of this.