RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 03-18-2014

Looks pretty good. Only qualm I have is the Vambraces - Romans didn't use those, period.

Otherwise, great job so far! Keep it up Wink

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Pointer - 03-19-2014

Quote:Looks pretty good. Only qualm I have is the Vambraces - Romans didn't use those, period.

Evan... if that is true... what are on the wrists of the soldiers in the pictures you posted above with your shoes?

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Quintus Claudius Scaevola - 03-19-2014

Short answer: Tunic sleeves.

I get that we're looking at REALLY old art, and art in and of itself is also subjective and open to interpretation, but even when you call attention to what might be vambraces I personally don't see it. The perpendicular lines on the arm of the single soldier could be the edge of some manner of bracer, but the lack of real color-change suggests to me that it's a fold in the fabric, a seam-line, or a cuff. In the mass of soldiers, the image isn't large enough to get a real good look, but the soldier on the right has the same issue - no real color chnce so I'm thinking folds. The one on the left is holding a bow, so I'd believe he might have an archer's bracer on (Yes, I know it's on the wrong arm in that case - It's plausable the artist put it there just to show that hw *would* be wearing one...)

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 03-19-2014

Quote:
Magister Militum Flavius Aetius post=352624 Wrote:Looks pretty good. Only qualm I have is the Vambraces - Romans didn't use those, period.

Evan... if that is true... what are on the wrists of the soldiers in the pictures you posted above with your shoes?

Sleeves, and those Neck-Torques for your Wrist

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Doc - 03-19-2014

I have to agree with Evan. Its the sleeves.

I am not sure why people are so stuck on these vambraces.......no offence Jesse since you are not the first.

We have been able to debunk time and again their use since there really is no evidence either sculptural or otherwise. I guess Hollywood has made them historical fact.

I am not discounting that there were soldiers that could have worn something on their wrists BUT to make an object part of an impression specifically is not sound.

Then why leather.....? Outside of some sort of bracelet, anything on the wrist would be cloth to wipe sweat not some leather strap. If you want fashion...armilla come to mind.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 03-19-2014

Armillae! that's the word I was looking for.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Loofa - 03-19-2014

Thanks for the input guys, I'll be sure to remove them for my next event. Would you think some sort of padded glove/wrapping for the left hand would be appropriate to avoid nasty scratches (again...) on the hand and wrist?

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Titvs Statilivs Castvs - 03-20-2014

Maybe, but you can also try to glue some leather/sheepskin/... inside your shield where your arm rests against it. That way you won't have to bother with putting the wrappings on and off. Smile

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Loofa - 03-22-2014

Ah wish I could! I don't have a shield though, so whenever i go to events I borrow others' shields

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 03-23-2014

Salvate Omnes!

Here is my impression with my new Heteny-style helmet. The lamellar cuirass is not quite authentic and the spatha baldric is a bit too early for the 4th c. AD. I would also like to have better boots, too. 

[Image: 23d3774b9a04f4d79f319fceb33c8cac.jpg]
[Image: af30040ce8a85b2a5a7d492c689a18bd.jpg]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 03-23-2014

Medievaldesign sells a 4th century Ramshaw.

The lamellar cuirass is nice, albeit it's D-Plate Lamellar which didn't come into use until the Mid-6th century. Very, very difficult to find Roman Lamellar.

Actually, there are some wide Spatha baldrics that date to the 4th century AD AFAIK

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 03-23-2014

Thanks Evan! I have a vaque memory of seeing a wide baldric on a late roman context too. Do you perhaps have this evidence somewhere?

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 03-23-2014

Someone referred to it in the thread about the Kemathen warrior.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 04-11-2014

Posing by the lake with my new cheapo musculata. Wink

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 04-11-2014

I actually like that one. The Musculata looks Late Roman, compared to other impressions with them.