RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Longovicium - 02-28-2015

Thanks, Crispus, I will put that to TAG and see what they say. All of this kit is from them and the period is specifically during the time when the Antonine Wall was constructed and then abandoned. This means I can't post-date 162 AD in terms of equipment and panopoly. As an auxiliary I am assuming lower quality equipment and older styles, perhaps?

I am off to a training weekend next week so I will ask more about the points you have raised - thanks for the input again.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 02-28-2015

I think it is accepted now that auxiliaries using older or lower grade armor Is a myth.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Longovicium - 02-28-2015

Maybe TAG is palming old kit off on me then! ;-)

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 02-28-2015

From what we can tell from the assembled evidence for pay, auxiliaries were paid the same or almost the same as legionaries. There is far less second century provincial sculpture to look at, but first century AD stelae show no apparent difference between legionaries and auxiliaries, apart from the fact that auxiliaries are shown with flat shields and spears (often two) and legionaries are shown with curving shields and pila. The idea that auxiliaries were issued old or lower quality kit seems to come from Tacitus' description of soldiers putting in helmets and armour intended for other categories of soldier in the panic as Vitellius approached Rome in AD69. This may be nothing more than a rhetorical device though, and the evidence for differing equipment other than already mentioned is slim indeed.

Regarding the equipment of the Antonine Guard, I have always known them to be kitted out in mid first century kit in order to work harmoniously with other groups. The name is a geographical thing but has never seemed to influence their kit much, although I have not seen them for a few years and some things may have changed since then. I think that being able to work with other groups is a good thing but I think also that attention should be paid to having kit to portray soldiers on the Antonine Wall as well. This would mean each man would need a further belt to exchange for his first century one when in second century mode and an additional sword for the same reason. Suitable belt fittings can be seen in the upper part of this picture by Mike Bishop:
http://s129.photobucket.com/user/mcbishop/media/BandC2/fig088.png.html

While a ring pommel sword in an appropriate scabbard (with slide and peltate chape) might potentially be on the pricey side, a second century AD belt, with only a buckle and a couple of other plates, might be relatively cheap. Armamentaria sells good trompetmeister style fittings which would be perfect. Incidentally, checking since my previous posting, it seems that some soldiers were still using the apron as late as the mid second century AD, but the terminals appear to have been of a different style. Two examples can be seen at the bottom of the picture I linked to above.

Crispvs

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Longovicium - 03-01-2015

Cripus,

You may be right about TAG and their period kit. I am still relatively new to the group and my understanding was that they were created to inform the public about Roman military and civilian life with an emphasis towards the Antonine Wall period - hence the auxiliary unit I am enrolled in: the Sixth Cohort of Nervians. I will speak to John Richardson at the weekend for more clarification and what scope I have interms of equipment and so on. At the moment, eveything is on 'loan' from them and thus supplied by them. Only the hellmet is mine as the one they provided didn't fit my unfeasibly flat forehead . . .

If they do orientate towards a mid-first century period in order to blend in then perhaps I am better staying with that. I do like harmony.

If there is latitude then I will see what I can develop. I do feel at the moment that what I am wearing looks 'generic' auxiliary and lacks a certain Romano-Celtic veneer such as long breeches or a more colourful cloak, perhaps. Still it's all exciting learning about a period I am still very green in!

Thanks again for your imput. After the weekend and advice from TAG I will see what options are available.

Show here your Roman soldier impression Leg XXX VV - hadrianus batavius - 03-02-2015

Here a picture of Leg XXX Vlpia Victrix from Rome but in this shot in the Netherlands
[attachment=11902]LegxxxVlpiaVictrix.jpg[/attachment]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Shane Kent - 03-06-2015

Hello I am tiberius marine Pullo option of the 20th legion in Ireland www.romanarmy.ie

Show here your Roman soldier impression - 66kbm - 03-06-2015

My mate Oly in "hard" gear and me in "soft kit".........a good comparison of the two I think.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 03-06-2015

Yes, quality equipment in a "rugged" condition, perfect. Wink

Show here your Roman soldier impression - hadrianus batavius - 03-07-2015

Legio XXX Vlpia Traiana Victrix of Rome during Natale di Roma 2008
[attachment=11928]LegioXXX2008.jpg[/attachment]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Appius - 03-29-2015

Here our tribune's latest kit:;
[Image: Tribun_2014.jpg]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-03-2015

Quote:Yes, very shiny! I have the same one and that angelic shine is long since gone... Sad

A bit of elbow grease, (and polish) will make it shine again! 8-)

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Loofa - 04-21-2015

far from perfect, my Augustan impression after 2 years of budget acquiring stuff over time (mainz gladius).. on eXXXtreme budget haha. NYC/Brooklyn here.

[attachment=12257]10439397_10152672459451612_5016397717653345884_n.jpg[/attachment]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Creon01 - 04-21-2015

[quote="Jesse" post=367282]far from perfect, my Augustan impression after 2 years of budget acquiring stuff over time (mainz gladius).. on eXXXtreme budget haha. NYC/Brooklyn here.

Jesse was one of two "Centurions" who graciously donated their time to train 8 groups of 10 kids a piece in Legionary tactics at the Penn Museum on 18 April.

[attachment=12260]CC5RLzhUsAAP36D.jpglarge.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12261]IMG_5049.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12262]IMG_2319.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=12263]IMG_5039.jpg[/attachment]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Scream92 - 07-02-2015

New kit, lads!

Top picture is myself at an ancient history museum, and is more recent. The bottom is me in soft kit, three months ago in Lafe, Arkansas.

[Image: fe6236b6d62759c6795dbfb315664246.jpg]

Myself and my friend Caleb, above.

[Image: 02ec87cabbd15dd6952ec10515c021d7.jpg]

Castra Lafe!

[Image: 4bc7f00cb19090991df4082c52b13d22.jpg]

Myself without days of sleep or bathing at Castra Lafe!