RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - John M McDermott - 05-30-2006

[Image: DSC00540.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - tlclark - 05-31-2006

Brass lorica segmentata! Cool.

Are you following Graham's reconstruction?

Also, your tunica has sleeves right? Are the clavi sewn on or woven in? They look fantastic.

Travis

PS - Can we get shots of the lorica without the phalerae-rig and of the tunic by itself.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Chuck Russell - 05-31-2006

cool, are your leather suspensions for the lorica a tad too thick? the shoulder pieces stick straight out.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Praefectusclassis - 05-31-2006

Very impressive John!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Jeroen Pelgrom - 05-31-2006

cool! Confusedhock:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 05-31-2006

Impressive. Love the 'face of command' btw. Big Grin
Is that where you live? Nice scenery.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Tarbicus - 05-31-2006

VEry impressive John! Big Grin Do you have any closeups of your helmet?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Tib. Gabinius - 05-31-2006

It really look very nice.
But at single point of construcitve critic (hope you dont think i want harm you): let your tunic longer, a bit above the knees, thats the maximum shortness allowed.

For the rest i like to say: it really looks your waiting for your troops (to hit them Big Grin ). Very good.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Tarbicus - 05-31-2006

Quote:let your tunic longer, a bit above the knees, thats the maximum shortness allowed.
Since when? The shorter the tunic the more soldierly to the point they were almost deemed obscene. Citizens had their tunics longer, until we get more into the 2ndC CE when a soldier's was worn longer (but not much).

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Titus Martius - 05-31-2006

Confusedhock: Wow! You really look as real officer!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - tlclark - 05-31-2006

Quote:Confusedhock: Wow! You really look as real officer!

Totally agree. If you barked orders at me in that kit, I would definitely obey. I can almost feel the vine staff against my back now!!

Travis

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gallus Marinus Micarius - 05-31-2006

first time I've seen a brass segmentata..very very cool. Was your helm custom made..wow again. You should really be beating the milites while posing for those pics :o

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - John M McDermott - 05-31-2006

"Brass lorica segmentata! Cool."

"first time I've seen a brass segmentata."

There have been other posts on the brass segmentata. There is some evidence, but the interpretation of the evidence is disputed. There is no reason a segmentata couldn't have been made of brass. This is an experimental model. It works quite well.

"Are you following Graham's reconstruction?"

As far as I know, the reconstruction closely follows published material on the Corbridge finds.

"But at single point of construcitve critic (hope you dont think i want harm you): let your tunic longer, a bit above the knees, thats the maximum shortness allowed. "

"Also, your tunica has sleeves right? Are the clavi sewn on or woven in? They look fantastic. "

See the Snappy Soldiers Tunic Pleat thread, as there is a mound of information about tunic blousing. Sleeves are accepted, I think. The clavii are woven, but I, and others, are working with Cacaius to produce woven in clavii.

"cool, are your leather suspensions for the lorica a tad too thick? the shoulder pieces stick straight out."

The harness straps need to be lengthened in back. The harness was made for wearing with a hamata.

"I love it .... You look your Rank!!!"

"Totally agree. If you barked orders at me in that kit, I would definitely obey. I can almost feel the vine staff against my back now!! "

"Wow! You really look as real officer!"

"Impressive. Love the 'face of command' btw.
Is that where you live? Nice scenery."

Got lots of practice in the Marine Corps. This was taken along the side of my house.[/quote]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - John M McDermott - 05-31-2006

Quote:VEry impressive John! Do you have any closeups of your helmet?

[Image: Picture136.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 05-31-2006

Quote:Got lots of practice in the Marine Corps. This was taken along the side of my house.
[/quote]

It shows! Big Grin
Cool backyard...

Btw, what are you doing on the website of Jean-Olivier Bourbon?