RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - John M McDermott - 05-31-2006

Oh, he just used my picture. I don't mind. We do business.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 05-31-2006

I see. Just wondering what he made for you - couldn't tell from that picture. Big Grin

He has made several shields for our legion. We are working on a project to cover the front of a scutum in rawhide. Good fellow!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 05-31-2006

Quote:We are working on a project to cover the front of a scutum in rawhide. Good fellow!

Interesting! Could you keep us posted?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Primvs Pavlvs - 05-31-2006

My wife and I at PAX ROMANA

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - tlclark - 05-31-2006

Quote:"Are you following Graham's reconstruction?"

As far as I know, the reconstruction closely follows published material on the Corbridge finds.

Graham Summer reproduces a brass and Iron corbridge based on a fresco from the house of Nero in Roman Military Clothing 1. This is the first time I've ever seen someone make one. Looks great.

Quote:"Also, your tunica has sleeves right? Are the clavi sewn on or woven in? They look fantastic. "

See the Snappy Soldiers Tunic Pleat thread, as there is a mound of information about tunic blousing. Sleeves are accepted, I think. The clavii are woven, but I, and others, are working with Cacaius to produce woven in clavii.

Sleeves are definitely seen in the statuary. I will be reconstructing my tunic with sleeves as I think it would help prevent chafing.

The clavi look great. So they are woven but sewn on, right? How did you sew them on?

Travis

They are embroidered on. The segmentata was made by Ken Evans, who has retired from re-enacting. Ken has paid great attention to the details of the Corbridge find. I did not know Graham Sumner got into the act or believed one existed. There was a thread on the RAT about evidence of a brass segmentata, but the evidence profered got heavily discredited. Still, I believe there is no good reason one couldn't have been made. Brass was used in other armors, so why not in a segmentata?

Wow.

Hand embroidered? or by machine? If so how does that work? and how much did it cost you?

On the Brass Segmentata:

Yeah, Graham has reconstructed one and he had some fairly solid evidence, only his has brass shoulder pieces and iron torso, and the effect is really nice.

Anyway, great kit.

Travis

My guess was machine embroidery, but I don't really know. The tunic came with the clavii, so I don't know what the separate cost was.

Wow, great helmet! Who made it and what is the asking price?

Quote:My guess was machine embroidery, but I don't really know. The tunic came with the clavii, so I don't know what the separate cost was.

Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

Travis

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 06-02-2006

Hello all,

Fresh from looking at John and Primvs's impressions I decided it was high time I finally posted up an image of myself.

[Image: Crispvsstanding.jpg]

This photograh was taken last weekend at the Lunt Fort.

For those planning on putting sleeves on their tunics, I would note here that my tunic has no sleeves and I have never experienced chafing of the sort Travis mentions whilst wearing it. This includes marching most of the length of Hadrian's Wall. Also, can you show me unambiguous evidence for short sleeves on early imperial tunics. All of the images I can think of are at best open to debate or plainly show tunics without sleeves.

Crispvs

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 06-02-2006

Sorry,

I'm not sure why the photo has turned out to be so small. It was much bigger befor I uploaded it to Photobucket.

Crispvs

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - John M McDermott - 06-02-2006

Quote:Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

The person who did them is difficult to contact at the moment. I will let you know when I reach her.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gallus Marinus Micarius - 06-03-2006

if you use the Img button above the text box to post images, it works way better - you can click to a larger resolution pic, and it tracks number of views...