RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Mithras - 09-24-2006

Jyrki, you're right about the Intercisa, it really fits me well. I have a 3rd century Heddernheim that is too big on me and requires lots and lots of padding. Plus it is very heavy on the crown on the head.

The Intercisa's like an old GI pot I reckon, in fact I know one man who made himself an INtercisa out of a WW2 GI helmet!! Cut it in half then rivetted it back together again! And it looked great!

Quote:Great photos, Paul!

Especially the first picture. It always amazes me to see how "modern" and practical those Intercisa helmets look! I definitely have to get one!

Btw, have you noticed that the cuttings for the ears seem to fit your head perfectly!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Caballo - 09-24-2006

Excellent- laudes from me too!
" My boots are 'hypodemata', found in RMC3" Dumb question , but what is RMC3?

Cheers

Caballo

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Mithras - 09-24-2006

Sorry, Graham Sumner's Roman Military Clothing (3) published by Osprey.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Caballo - 09-24-2006

RMC=Graham Sumner's Roman Military Clothing (3) - of course! One of the best books and a constant reference for me (with the other books)

Cheers

Caballo

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 09-24-2006

Quote:The Intercisa's like an old GI pot I reckon, in fact I know one man who made himself an INtercisa out of a WW2 GI helmet!! Cut it in half then rivetted it back together again! And it looked great!
Can you gat a pic of it? I'd like to see it.

Great impression BTW.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 09-25-2006

Quote:This coming weekend I am participating in a 12 mile march across the highest point of Hadrian's Wall.

Tell us when you have the pictures, please?

Quote:Hey, we were LRRPS before there were LRRPS! SPQR meets LRRP.
LRRPS? LRRP? Hey, I knew what LRM3 was - can't know 'em all!

Quote:BTW, Robert, we send all of our new recruits to the FECTIO website as a matter of course. That's not flattery, its the truth.
NOW you've made me blush! :oops: :oops:
I'll have to update the site again.. Big Grin [/quote]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Mithras - 09-25-2006

I will be delighted to post some pictures of the march if anyone is interested. Also, I have some pictures to post up on the Comitatus website of our last event - with artillery and Late Roman cavalry. We were attacked by cavalry for 2 days and there were some minor injuries ... :roll: But it looked fantastic and gave an excellent 'feel' of what it must have ben like to be attacked by cavalry...

Should be up on the Events page sometime this week.

LRRPS are my old friends the US Army Long range reconnaissance patrols, going out using stealth to gather tactical intelligence for the division.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 09-25-2006

Quote:Thank you very much Robert! Do you mean the way we look like we don't wash or shave? Or wash our clothes?? :oops: :o ops
Is that the secret? Big Grin

Quote:I will be delighted to post some pictures of the march if anyone is interested. Also, I have some pictures to post up on the Comitatus website of our last event - with artillery and Late Roman cavalry. We were attacked by cavalry for 2 days and there were some minor injuries ... :roll: But it looked fantastic and gave an excellent 'feel' of what it must have ben like to be attacked by cavalry....
I would be delighted to seee what that looked like!! Confusedhock: Who did the Late Roman cav?[/quote]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 09-25-2006

Mithras\\n[quote]I will be delighted to post some pictures of the march if anyone is interested.

Absolutely.Paul. I'd love to see your pics of the
march to the wall.
Excellent pics of your kit.Great work.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Martin Wallgren - 09-26-2006

This is me so far...

[/img]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 09-26-2006

Did you make the mail yourself?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Martin Wallgren - 09-27-2006

Quote:Did you make the mail yourself?

Yes! Most of it. A friend of mine bought the rings and started the maile. But gave up after a third. I bought it from him and finished it.

I have the subarmalis under the tunic.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 09-27-2006

Good job!!

Can you post a pic of the subarmalis?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Titus Martius - 10-07-2006

Hi folks!
Almost complete kit...

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Virilis - 10-07-2006

Looks very good, Martin!

The colours of the fabrics are very good, these "near to earth" brown & white have a very authentic feel to them. What is the next item you are looking for? A scutum, a pilum perhaps?

Btw, I am waiting for my new Deepeeka gallic H helmet to arrive. I will definitely try to "narrow" it. I will remove the cheekpieces (easily done by removing the pins inside the hinges) and the brow guard. First I will bend the hinges of the cheekpieces more outward so they will come more near to my face. Then I will "squash" the bowl of the helmet to make it more narrow. It really made a difference with my late gallic H :wink: ...