RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Geoffrey - 02-02-2007

[Image: Teuto.jpg]

This was a concept piece that i did for a classics class that i took at OSU. It represents a veteran legionary under the command of Quintilius Varus, Teutoburg

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - grab - 02-02-2007

Quote:Nice impresion.

Can you put details of the arms and armour (helmet, gladius, pugio, belt...) Here we like to see that kind of detailed pictures.

By your shield you may belongs to II Augusta, no?

Yes I am a member of II Avgvsta. My helmet is the new deepka Gallic G, the lorica was made for me by Lyndsay Richardson, the pugio is a deepka and the Mainz gladius is by Len Morgan. The belt was made by David Richardson using plates supplied by Nodge Nolan. Here is a close up of the belt.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Tarbicus - 02-02-2007

Quote:This was a concept piece that i did for a classics class that i took at OSU. It represents a veteran legionary under the command of Quintilius Varus, Teutoburg
Scars. Excellent! Very important if you wanted to get on in public life. Could even get you acquitted of outlandish crimes that you were actually guilty of. Next thing is to take a few frontal teeth out like the Herculaneum soldier Big Grin

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Virilis - 02-02-2007

Quote: Next thing is to take a few frontal teeth out like the Herculaneum soldier
Easily arranged :wink: ...

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Tarbicus - 02-02-2007

I had my money on Vorti for coming up with that one.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 02-02-2007

Grab,

As Avitianus said, nice impression.

Just one or two small things to point out however.
Firstly, if your pugio is one of the old Deepeeka versions (as it looks to be) you might need to think about modifying or even retiring it. Send me a PM and I can give you some tips on what to do to get it right. If the sheath is the one with the brass plates rivetted on, you should think about replacing it, as there is no evidence of such plates, despite the many artist's impressions of them you can find in books which should know better. Again I can give you some advice about how to replace it reasonable inexpensively and yet accurately.
Secondly, I see you wear your belt between the bottom two tie loops a-la the ESG. If your belt is the right size you should not need to do this, as you should be able to tighten it sufficiently for it to grip around the lower pair of girdle plates (as in the photo of me below), which will also allow the hips to take some of the weight of your armour. The rolled lower edges of the two bottom girdle plates also helps to keep the belt in place. It is a good idea however to put the belt on without the dagger and then attach the dagger once the belt is securely done up. This means that the dagger does not drag the belt down at one side as you are trying to tighten it. Incidentally, most depictions of soldiers wearing daggers show the pugio being worn slightly more frontally. This could be small project to fill in of the remaining weekend days prior to the season starting up again.
I am quite envious of your belt by the way - Nodge does do excellent work.

[Image: worshdetail.jpg]

Regards

Crispvs

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Magnus - 02-02-2007

I wonder what it would be like to put your helmet in a barrel with some rocks and metal bits and roll it down a hill, then polish it a bit. And maybe add a few gouges with a hand axe...

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Martin Wallgren - 02-02-2007

Moooaaaaahahahahaha!

Laudes to you Jyrki!!!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - grab - 02-02-2007

Crisvps

Thanks for the pointers. Heres a close up of the pugio. The scabbard is plain steel.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 02-03-2007

Quote:I had my money on Vorti for coming up with that one.
Sorry 'bout that money Jim, I did not follow the discussion...

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Christophorus Rubrum - 02-07-2007

Got my Lorica today, the shield supposed to be there in 2 days, glavius took more time, Planet Trading Co Told of choosing the right coursier for custom problems, having order in UK Khukri, MOD Knife or Commando Daggers, it is not THE problem, perhaps Customs probs came from fact it came from India...out off Europe
ANW Snowy weather those days, find a cloak and even without a Pilum, hidding the fact i ve got no belt :oops: , could be a nice pic.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Martin Wallgren - 02-24-2007

My latest pics of my Kit!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - SOCL - 02-25-2007

Very nice, Martin. I especially like the bit where lightning comes out of your hands, but wouldn't you say that's more the realm of gods/goddess reenacting than Roman? :wink:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Christophorus Rubrum - 02-25-2007

Congrats Martin, so Titus Pullo is alive in this side of the Mare :wink:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Martin Wallgren - 02-25-2007

Thanx! We had some fun with optical FX in the backyard. And though it is snow outside the temp was not that bad, around 3 minus celius.

Now I´m waiting for the calicei, sword and pugio to get here. And a hasta and I´m ready for basic-camp.