RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-17-2007

Sounds interesting Edge 8)

Well, I am going to try to make some bronze geaves myself, once I have played with some iron....maybe fun, whoo knows!

I have decided to try out the Keltica Hamata, as Peronis said it looked a lot like the one he has from Ashock Ray....hopefull I will be happy with it. Will give me a chance to try leather work as well. I see it only has edging leather around the doubling, as Peronis pointed out. Ashok seems to have vanished from the scene and gives no responses to queries, and Peronis said he wasn't making them any more so, what the he.. might as well take a chance!

Which greave is Matt copyng for you? Bronze or iron?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius_Calvus - 07-17-2007

Byron,

Matt is making a set of iron greaves, with a brass lion's head at the knees, edged with brass all around (like a helmet).

Edge

(repeats plea to moderators for a green with envy emoticon)

Sounds pretty nice Edge, looking forward to seeing you new toys!
Will they be silvered or tinned as well?

I am still planing on sourcing some bronze locally here, but my big problem seems to be simple, straight forward iron. Possibly narrowing down the likely suspects though! The fabricators down at the harbour might be helpful!

Are you getting phalerae too?

Nope, no tinning or silvering. I wanted a more "workmanlike" or practical appearance as opposed to something very decorative. And, when I say iron -- I really mean mild steel.

I have a set of the Lauersfort phalerae that are cast in white brass. Kind of heavy, but they look good, I think. See the attachment.

Edge

Sounds good! I was going to go for a bronze montefortino and bronze greaves, and either a decent hispaniensis, or have my Albion mainz copied and a republican type scabbard made for it!
But the problem with my plan would be, how to do a Republican crest. Were the centurions wearing transverse crests already, or a special type of horsetail?

Also, did they have phalerae then too, or some other form of decoration?

And would they have worn a shorter hamata, or a long one? ie as the same length as the legionaries?

And what would a finely dressed first spear wear (ie Caesars Xth's primus pilus) An expensively decorated montefortino? Or at least one with some intricate detailing?

anyway, one step at a time..... have a hamata on order! :lol:

ps send some of that weather over here!

Man, those are all gnarly questions to which I don't know the answer.

I am working on a Caesarian legionary, and that's much easier than a centurio. I think I am good there.

Sounds like when you get it done it will be superb!

Edge

When being the optimum question! :lol:

Ain't it the truth. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - John M McDermott - 07-21-2007

Action photo of Legio X Fretensis at Houston Museum of Natural Sciences event on July 14, 2007.

[Image: HMNS2047.jpg][/quote]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Publius Aelius Lucius - 07-24-2007

Some pictures of me and my sons as well as members legXIII at the Klosterneuburger Römertage

Simon my older as Celt blows cornu
i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/Verkaufnix/Simon.jpg

Andreas, Johannes my younger and I in the camp with the cube play
i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/Verkaufnix/LagerAndreasMartinJohannes.jpg

we 3
i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/Verkaufnix/MartinJohannesSimon1.jpg

me
i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/Verkaufnix/Martin2.jpg

again
i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/Verkaufnix/Martin1.jpg

3 pictures of archery:
i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/Verkaufnix/BogSchMartinSohn1.jpg

i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/Verkaufnix/BogSchIngeMartin4.jpg

i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/Verkaufnix/BogSchDavidMartin2.jpg

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FlaviusCrispus - 07-24-2007

Nice 4th century impressions, Aelius!

Laudes to you for getting your cloak to drape so beautifully! Nice looking lad you've got there, too!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-24-2007

Nice weather too, from the looks of things! Sad

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 07-24-2007

Very good pictures. How old are your sons?

It seems you are in the middle of that heat wave!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Marcus Caecilius Avitus - 07-24-2007

Salvete,

Loooooooong overdue, but I finally got the missus to take some phots of me in kit. Marching order, parade and combat (although if the optio has to engage as depicted it's all gone horribly wrong!). Sad

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-24-2007

Well, from the looks of things it all has, as you seem to be on you own in bandit country!! :lol:

Nice pics!