RomanArmyTalk
greek translation help and question about "lamp stand" in roman world - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Greek Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: greek translation help and question about "lamp stand" in roman world (/showthread.php?tid=27492)

greek translation help and question about "lamp stand" in roman world - Gunthamund Hasding - 09-06-2016

Hi guys

from Africanus, Cesti (kestoi) 7 1.15 : "which actually is called a "lamp-stand""

see the Greek text in attachment

I wonder first if the translation is correct

and second how tall such a "lamp-stand" would be 1m20? 1m40?

edited to ad anyone so smart to tell me how to use Greek characters in the forumsß

RE: greek translation help and question about "lamp stand" in roman world - Renatus - 09-06-2016

Is the transcription right? Λυχνια means 'lampstand'; λνχνια doesn't seem to mean anything.

RE: greek translation help and question about "lamp stand" in roman world - Gunthamund Hasding - 09-06-2016

(09-06-2016, 02:15 PM)Renatus Wrote: Is the transcription right? Λυχνια means 'lampstand'; λνχνια doesn't seem to mean anything.

here is a scan of the whole fragment probably missed the word, from Greek I have no idea

RE: greek translation help and question about "lamp stand" in roman world - Renatus - 09-06-2016

Ah, that has λυχνια, so that's all right.

RE: greek translation help and question about "lamp stand" in roman world - Giannis K. Hoplite - 09-11-2016

Λυχνία means lamp, not lamp stand. That should normally be λυχνοστάτης.
But if it is to denote something tall then lamp stand might be okay, and the ones I have see. Would indeed be about 1,60 m tall.

RE: greek translation help and question about "lamp stand" in roman world - Renatus - 09-11-2016

(09-11-2016, 12:19 AM)Giannis K. Hoplite Wrote: Λυχνία means lamp, not lamp stand. That should normally be λυχνοστάτης.

Your knowledge of Greek is vastly superior to mine. All I can say is that, according to Liddell & Scott, λυχνία means 'lampstand', λύχνοϛ means 'lamp' and λυχνοστάτης does not exist.

RE: greek translation help and question about "lamp stand" in roman world - Giannis K. Hoplite - 09-11-2016

Hm, and Liddell & Scott's knowlege of Greek is vastly superior to mine, so they should be trusted over me. But I wonder when λυχνοστάτης starts to be used, and also how it is conveyed that λυχνία is a stand.

RE: greek translation help and question about "lamp stand" in roman world - Gunthamund Hasding - 09-12-2016

Thanks guys
Would give both a positive ranking but maybe a mod can d it for me
the 1.60 figure is very likely, the fragment tells that the dioptra is mounted on such a thing and would be impractical to be much higher than 1.80.

Thanks again
Gelu

RE: greek translation help and question about "lamp stand" in roman world - Renatus - 09-19-2016

(09-11-2016, 10:40 PM)Giannis K. Hoplite Wrote: Hm, and Liddell & Scott's knowlege of Greek is vastly superior to mine, so they should be trusted over me. But I wonder when λυχνοστάτης starts to be used, and also how it is conveyed that λυχνία is a stand.

I have been away for a few days. The following is a link to Matthew 5.15 from the relevant Perseus page of Liddell & Scott, so that may help:

[15] οὐδὲ καίουσιν λύχνον καὶ τιθέασιν αὐτὸν ὑπὸ τὸν μόδιον ἀλλ᾽ ἐπὶ τὴν λυχνίαν, καὶ λάμπει πᾶσιν τοῖς ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ.

I don't know the cut-off date of Liddell & Scott but presumably λυχνοστάτης came into use after that.