RomanArmyTalk
NEW RECRUITS - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: NEW RECRUITS (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Re: NEW RECRUITS - satsobek - 06-15-2002

I've been lurking about here for months, and posted a bit awhile back, but thought I might as well make a formal introduction. I go by Satsobek and any variety of other weird names online. Why? I don't know. I'm 19, a girl, and a college sophmore at a small local liberal arts college here in Ohio where I live, not far from Columbus. My big thing is running romansims.com...kind of a fan site for the computer game called The Sims. I do that a lot and it keeps me busy. My primary interest is in fine art, especially computer graphics and digital media: websites, drawing, 3-D modeling etc. When not doing that...I'm of course fascinated by ancient history... I've had many years of Latin... my family are craftspeople... so I'm used to som travel... professional woodworking and... metal... and well about everything. My dad was a luthier and has built a number of bizzare things, including harpsichords which are another one of my hobbies. I like playing them.<br>
I spend most of my time staring blankly at the computer... and playing computer games, but I get out when I can and still have a vain hope of seeing some real Roman renactors... As I'm not a guy, don't see myself getting involved, but would like to get myself a gladius someday just for the hell of it.<br>
<br>
<p>-Satsobek</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 06-18-2002

Welcome, hope you newcomers enjoy the RAT!<br>
Satsobek~<br>
If you're really interested in re-enactment, some<br>
groups have 'Roman Citizens' come with their camp.<br>
You won't be weilding a gladius, unfortunately, but<br>
you will be in costume and may still be in the thick of things. <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - richsc - 06-18-2002

Salve Satobek! the Legio XX has a number of civilians and our own caupona. We may even add a bakery. At our Roman Days event they were very busy explaining the civilian side of Roman life, and life running a Pompeian wine bar.<br>
Matt has posted a great Legio XX group portrait in front of the caupona<br>
www.larp.com/legioxx<br>
<br>
No need to just stand around. We had plenty of senators and other civilians in the vicus as well. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
http://www.geocities.com/richsc53/studies/
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - satsobek - 06-18-2002

My goodness! Well thanks everyone! I appreciate your encouragement. Perhaps at sometime I will work up some nerve for something like that. In the mean time, I believe I'll be content to read of the infamo-- er famous exploits documented on the forum. <p>-Satsobek</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 06-21-2002

I am a social studies teacher in Maryland. I have studied military history since 4th grade, and am looking to expand my knowledge on Rome and its army. I hope to do grad work in this area, as I wrote a paper on one of disasters of Rome, Crassus's Parthian campaign, as an undergrad. <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - richsc - 06-21-2002

Vale SPQR! And if you're curious and interested, we of the Legio XX are in your neighborhood! You just missed Roman Days the other weekend, but we do have a workshop/fabricum coming up first weekend in July.<br>
<br>
www.larp.com/legioxx<br>
<br>
<p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
ICQ 940236
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=richsc>RichSC</A> at: 6/21/02 12:55:35 pm<br></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 06-22-2002

I would be interested. I am home for the summer at my parents house, but I will be back in mid-August. Let me know if there is anything in the fall that I could attend. Thanks for the information.<br>
<br>
Tim <p></p><i></i>

Legio XX events - richsc - 06-22-2002

Great - we have several activities going on, the first event being Universal Soldier in late Sept. We also have fabrica the first Saturday of each month. There are some other events being scheduled; you can check the Legio XX website for the details, or email Matt Amt, our fearless leader (his email is there).<br>
<br>
www.larp.com/legioxx <p></p><i></i>

Texas Newbie - Anonymous - 07-04-2002

Howdy Folks<br>
<br>
I wont try "speaking" any Latin, I only took one day of class, before bailing out :-)<br>
<br>
I am another wargamer and history fan.<br>
I am currently collecting an EIR army before moving on to republicans and then Late Romans, see the wargaming thread<br>
<br>
I will drop by almost daily as I usually will be posting from work :-)<br>
Dave <p></p><i></i>

Re: Texas Newbie - Praefectusclassis - 07-05-2002

Hi Dave<br>
Welcome to the board. Do you have any pics of your miniatures to show?<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 07-08-2002

~Dave<br>
<br>
Welcome to the RAT!<br>
<br>
~Quintus <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 07-09-2002

Hi everyone,<br>
<br>
just thought I'd introduce myself,<br>
<br>
My name is Joe Elrod, I'm 35 and I currently live in Milano, Italy. I moved here in 1993 after college (my wife is Italian). I have always been interested in ancient history, as a boy I remember I must have checked out John Warry's book from the library at least 50 times. In fact finding this very book in a bookshop a number of years ago rekindled my old passion for ancient history. Being an ex-soldier, (4 years US Army, 11b1P (Airborne infantry for non-military personnel)) I am extremely interested in reenacting to get a feel for what is was like to be a soldier hundreds or thousands of years ago and comparing it with my own experiences. I am currently in a Napoleonic group representing French Revolutionary soldiers recruited in Loano, Italy in 1795. I would like to participate in a roman group as well but for a number of reasons I doubt I ever will,<br>
<br>
-Napoleonic is already quite expensive - especially if one wants to follow uniform changes chronologically.<br>
-I have noticed a scarce interest for this period in Italy (sounds strange but it's true)<br>
-we were thinking of starting up a republican era group but I don't think there were any legionaries of this period with blond hair and blue eyes - I am a stickler for correctness.<br>
<br>
Anyway, I have rambled on long enough (sorry, I am a bit to verbose at times) I doubt I will ever be able to contribute much more than questions or opinions to the threads as I am still in my "formative" years regarding ancient rome. So I hope nobody minds being pestered with my incessant questions.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Joe<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - richsc - 07-09-2002

Welcome Joe! I think you'll Italian Roman groups real quick now that you've told them you're here.<br>
There appears to be a reluctance concerning Roman history in Italy due to lingering memories of Il Duce, which Luca and Geoffredo can tell you about, but interest does seem to be growing in Italy.<br>
<br>
As to the blond/blue thing, didn't Italy get invaded by Gauls occasionally during Republican times? Good question! <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 07-09-2002

thanks rick!<br>
<br>
Yes they were invaded quite repeatedly, but since the army was still basically a militia based on the wealth of the individual and the capite censis (did I spell that right?) weren't even included in the ranks I don't see how a wayward gaul would have been accepted (pure supposition on my part mind you) something to look into anyway.<br>
I could also form an "enemy" group, much less expensive too, the only cost would be shield, spear, and/or sword, and if we go in the buff we would have no use for anything else (although confines us to summer events only).....lol.<br>
cheers,<br>
Joe<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Guest - 07-09-2002

Salve,<br>
<br>
Welcome to the board.<br>
<br>
When necessity demanded it rules regarding recruitment were waived ocassionally before Marian times. The legions created from <i> volones</i>, freed slave volunteers, after Cannae very likely contained Celts, since they are attested as chopping off heads in battle (Livius, 24.15). One could always claim to represent such a <i> volo</i>.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst<br>
<br>
P.S. <i> capite censi</i> <p></p><i></i>