RomanArmyTalk
NEW RECRUITS - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: NEW RECRUITS (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 07-09-2002

thanks Sander!!! <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - richsc - 07-09-2002

I seem to remember blue eyes (blonde too?) being a genetic recessive trait, but I was thinking (ahem) that genetic material gets mixed up by the conquering hordes with the populations, so they could end up blue eyed anyway, even if they hadn't settled or been made slaves. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
http://www.geocities.com/richsc53/studies/
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>

ciao milano - Goffredo - 07-09-2002

Ciao<br>
benvenuto.<br>
<br>
We roman-army-talk enthusiasts should try organizing a get together. The people at Villadose (Rovigo) should be organizing their annual roman event and that could be a good occasion. Also the big scale Albano meeting sounds like a great occasion too. Maybe we could meet at both! Indeed I think all these initiative should be sustained as much as possible and it would be nice to hear the two groups actually help and collaborate with one another. Italians are always so individualistic and competitive; real collaboration is not a habit while "shooting down" the activity of others is truely a national sport!<br>
<br>
goffredo (Jeff)<br>
<br>
p.s. In the book stores here in Italy there is a book by italian historians entitled "MARENGO", Napoleon's famous battle in northern Italy. Have you read it? I am thinking of buying it for my vacation reading. <p></p><i></i>

Fair coloring - JRSCline - 07-09-2002

As I recall (vaguely) the Julii Caesares were said to be blondes. Sulla supposedly had startling (light?) eyes. Pompey was teased for being "a Gaul from Picenum." There is quite a bit of fair coloring in northern Italy from what I've read. And having met Goffredo who has startingly reddish hair, nothing is impossible for Italians!<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>

Re: Fair coloring - Anonymous - 07-10-2002

points well taken (It wasn't my intention to open up such a can of worms---lol).<br>
Grazie Goffreddo,<br>
Are you referring to the book by Massobrio? I have it but never finished reading it. Anyway it is written by someone actually knowledgeable or interested in the material (strange isn't it?). Anyway I'm told it is quite reliable and what I read was interesting. Good reading. Let me know about any future events. If they are publicized like our Napoleonic events then I'll probably never hear of them. How was the event at Alessandria last month?<br>
Ciao,<br>
Joe <p></p><i></i>

ciao milano - TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS - 07-11-2002

Right words Goffredo! Villadose event will be held just a week before Albano, so I really hope to see them all, after their meeting, attending here too, for a full immersion of roman Army stuff and friendship!<br>
<br>
Just write to me at: [email protected] or [email protected] <br>
<br>
Uale,<br>
<br>
Titus Sabatinus Aquilius <p></p><i></i>

Icon - JRSCline - 07-11-2002

Your photo looks GREAT!!!<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 07-11-2002

Hi, I guess I should introduce myself here<br>
<br>
- I'm from Minnesota, USA<br>
- Became interested...well, I'm not quite sure..<br>
- because of the nice people here, and maybe to gain something before the summer's end<br>
- I'm a student, going on my freshman year in high school.. and I'm aiding in unit modelling and history for the 0ad project<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Icon - TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS - 07-12-2002

Thanks Jenny and thank you for your precious help!<br>
<br>
Ciao,<br>
<br>
Titus Sabatinus Aquilius <p></p><i></i>

Welcome - JRSCline - 07-14-2002

Welcome to RAT, Riagall. Make yourself at home!<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>

May As Well Introduce Myself - Anonymous - 07-15-2002

Not an ambush or revolt, this time. Just paying my respects.<br>
<br>
I'm Boudicca, she of the frightening countenance, long red hair, and harsh voice, if Dio Cassius is to be believed.<br>
<br>
I was up late one night, in the middle of research, and came across this board, and found information I needed. You all looked like a friendly bunch (for Romans), and I thought I would at least make it a habit to check in frequently, even if I say little.<br>
<br>
For personal pleasure, and hopefully at some future date, for publication, I am an historical-fiction writer. My main area of interest is Roman-Britain, and for a while, I was studying the Celtic half of that, until I realized you really can't study one, without studying the other. About that time, Gladiator came out, and pushed me over the brink. (Yes, I know, I have read the threads. LOL!)<br>
<br>
Anyway, thank you for such a warm, well-researched forum. Truly a joy to read.<br>
<br>
Boudicca<br>
<br>
<p><center><font size= "3" face= "times new roman" color= "#CC0000"><i>What bargains we have made, we have kept. And as the dogs of the hours close in,</i></font></center>
<center><font size= "3" face= "times new roman" color= "#CC0000"><i>nothing can be taken from us but our lives.</i></font></center>
<br>
<center><font size= "3" face= "times new roman" color= "#CC0000"><i> "Victory" - Charles Bukowski</i></font></center>
<br>

</p><i></i>

Re: May As Well Introduce Myself - Praefectusclassis - 07-15-2002

We even welcome the enemy here, no problem! Just don't murder any colonists and we'll be allright. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>

Re:A meeting... - Anonymous - 07-15-2002

Hey, since Jasper won't come over the pond to N. America for a RAT meeting, and there are a lot of legions and groups on both sides of the Atlantic, why not rent a cruise ship, and meet in the middle of the ocean? That way, when the 2 ships get close enough, each group can try to board the other's vessal and capture it. What a great combat demo that would make. <p>"Remember, pillage first....then burn."</p><i></i>

Re: Re:A meeting... - Praefectusclassis - 07-15-2002

While not being on principal against that idea, I just wanted to say I did not say I didn't want to come to America. On the contrary, but I just need a better excuse! <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>

Re: Re:A meeting... - Anonymous - 07-15-2002

Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth there. I'll keep thinking on that one. <p>"Remember, pillage first....then burn."</p><i></i>